formal nights

untailored bostonian

All I can say is left hand and right hand.

I  believe in rules and consistency,  surely it should not be beyond Cunard to have the same dress code in all media. It is absolutely useless to publish one dress code on the web site to be read before you arrive at the ship and a different one in the daily programme on the ship.  The statements " swim wear must be covered up before entering enclosed areas" and " dress as you please in all areas of the ship" are two completely incompatible statements.

I believe the only arbiter of what you should wear should be the dress code as published by Cunard. This should be clear and  the same everywhere. Debates about dress code can be fun, but  there really should be no debate. 

We haave

16 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

All I can say is left hand and right hand.

I  believe in rules and consistency,  surely it should not be beyond Cunard to have the same dress code in all media. It is absolutely useless to publish one dress code on the web site to be read before you arrive at the ship and a different one in the daily programme on the ship.  The statements " swim wear must be covered up before entering enclosed areas" and " dress as you please in all areas of the ship" are two completely incompatible statements.

I believe the only arbiter of what you should wear should be the dress code as published by Cunard. This should be clear and  the same everywhere. Debates about dress code can be fun, but  there really should be no debate. 

I'm puzzles as to what the issue is. 

We have been taking cruises with Cunard for nine years and the information on covering up of swim wear inside their ships has always been in the Daily Programme as far as I recall and so available to all. 

Apart from being a company request, it's courteous to other passengers not in pool attire.

Plus, may be as Cunard assumed their passengers would automatically cover up when leaving the pool or deck area as a general courtesy to others, the daily information is just a gentle reminder.

Edited by Victoria2
added the plus
  • Like 1

On the matter of bringing booze on board, Cunard is happier than most lines to allow passengers to use their common sense. Perhaps they feel the same about the daytime dress code. 'Wear what you like in the daytime', well obviously no one would want to wear skimpy swimwear in an indoor waiter-served restaurant.

• Like 1

In my first post I was simply pointing out what the rules as clearly stated on the Cunard website say,  that is  "dress as you please in all areas of the ship", which would allow bathing wear inside. I was and always will up hold the dress code as written by the only Arbiter,  Cunard.

If you had bothered to read my second post , I was  again not objecting to the Cunard dress code just to the fact that there are two incompatible versions of it. 

If people are told "dress as you please in any part of the ship" , then no one should object to people following that rule. That applies to self appointed Cunarders, who see themselves as guardians of the dress code

If people are told " swim wear must be covered up before entering enclosed area " then that is what we all should do.

They are both concurrent instructions there is no last instruction.  If I  read the daily programme at 9am and then go on the website at 9.05 am, the website becomes the latest instruction .  Thus it is not clear which one has presidence.

The rules should be identical on the website and on all other medium. There should be no debate. I'm happy with either version of the code but not both at the same time.

As for me finding another cruise line that is nothing but my business. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

In my first post I was simply pointing out what the rules as clearly stated on the Cunard website say,  that is  "dress as you please in all areas of the ship", which would allow bathing wear inside. I was and always will up hold the dress code as written by the only Arbiter,  Cunard.

The rules should be identical on the website and on all other medium. There should be no debate. I'm happy with either version of the code but not both at the same time.

Here is what the Cunard website says:

"One of the real pleasures of our ships is the balance between being relaxed and free to dress as you please during the day, and the chance to sparkle in the evenings, whether dressing for dinner or the extra glamour of Gala nights.

During the day, feel free to relax and dress as you please in all areas of the ship. Then as the sun goes down, the style goes up. Every night on board, we ask that you wear formal attire in most of our bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues.

On our much-loved Gala evenings, which are the highlight of the voyage for many, we invite you to dress to impress as the celebratory atmosphere and sense of occasion is heightened across the ship. There are two or three of these special Gala evenings for every seven days of your voyage. Of course, if you prefer to spend your evenings in more relaxed attire, a selection of casual dining and entertainment venues are always available for your enjoyment."

I agree that the website and daily program should be consistent.

One version is Shore Based, and the other is Ship Based.

The problem is, that Shoreside don't even realise that they have ships and don't seem to know what's going on.

Consider this, would you walk through the Dorchester, or the Savoy in swim wear? Probably not, and they don't even have a dress code.

Common sense dictates that a modicum of decorum is required, so cover up!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Consider this, would you walk through the Dorchester, or the Savoy in swim wear? Probably not, and they don't even have a dress code.

When I stay at the Savoy and go to and from the pool I absolutely walk through the Savoy in swim wear.

I absolutely will walk through the Dorchester in swim wear when they add a pool.

There was a time when Cunard did not post a dress code a all.

Why?

Everybody just knew what was the socially right behaviour.

For most part, nobody looked for a loophole to flaunt the (at that time unwritten) rules.

Now it looks like people even must be told in writting (and of course in every available media) that you do not run in a bathing suit through a buffet or lounge area.

What is so difficult about decency?

• Like 5

My post wasn't about decency or what I  prefer or I  would do , but simply  the wording of code,  there is only one arbiter of what we should wear that is Cunard. Not passengers. Hence the wording of the code matters.

Dress as you like means one thing, it means dress as you like,  and if it was the only code it would override what any guest believes is appropriate. 

Cover up indoors means something else.

I just find it very sloppy,  what is difficult about having exactly the same wording, in the website on the brochure  and daily programme. 

On 9/22/2020 at 1:21 AM, untailored bostonian said:

I'm tweaking a few noses to get a feel for thr culture on CC.  I know it is more formal than carnival on Norwegian, and I like to get a feel for things.  

I've learned that I can rent my tux on board. That's a plus.

You can rent a Tux on board, but you will pay heftily for the privilege. You'd be better off getting a cheap Tux from one of the on-line men’s outfitters on your side of the pond rather than renting a tux for 8 or 9 nights on board. Either that or take along a dark suit and tie.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

By the way I  feel "dress as you please" is the most ridiculous NON dress code ever. However, if that is the code, it is not up to us to judge the dress of others, or to ask them to do otherwise.

We can judge the sense of who wrote those words

'Dress as you please', with the implication,  'because you are sensible adults who will not be absurd',  is actually quite heartening, I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

There was a time when men wore a coat and tie at dinner in their own homes.

There was a time when every business person wore a suit every day.

But according to my dear friend Bob Dylan, The Times They Are a-Changin'.

A consistent message delivered by a company doesn't seem that hard to achieve.

I will follow the requests on dress if I ever book Cunard again, but that doesn't mean Cunard shouldn't correct their messaging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

You can rent a Tux on board, but you will pay heftily for the privilege. You'd be better off getting a cheap Tux from one of the on-line men’s outfitters on your side of the pond rather than renting a tux for 8 or 9 nights on board. Either that or take along a dark suit and tie.

I've got that message a couple of times.  I've have months to work on this, so I might buy one. Just adds to the luggage. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by untailored bostonian

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

Why?

Everybody just knew what was the socially right behaviour.

For most part, nobody looked for a loophole to flaunt the (at that time unwritten) rules.

Now it looks like people even must be told in writting (and of course in every available media) that you do not run in a bathing suit through a buffet or lounge area.

What is so difficult about decency?

Yes them good all days. 🤦‍♂️

Some revel in the dress up of "propper atire", but the era of Downton Abbey has long since passed.

I'd rather avoid packing a tux, black suit,  and a sports jacket.  I would avoid the jackets by packing vests that imnho look dressed up even without the jacket. On the QM2 I'm not sure that will suffice.

• Like 1

Remember though the Tux is good for 8 or 9 night's dining , combined with a  couple of dress shirts, it seems like a good use of packing resources. Stick them in a  cheap suit carrier and Bob's your uncle, not a lot of extra to pack and carry. Plus you have the added benefit that even a fat old knacker like me looks pretty damned good in a DJ.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Dress as you please as a code, means dress as you please. We cannot read anything else into it , or judge the results  if we don't like them

i think it is slightly less straightforward than that. Context is relevant too. In this case the context is presumably provided by the accompanying illustrations which give an indication of the sort of things to aim at. 

I agree, of course, with your general point that consistency is desirable, but I know how hard it is to achieve.

12 hours ago, untailored bostonian said:

Some revel in the dress up of "propper atire", but the era of Downton Abbey has long since passed.

I'd rather avoid packing a tux, black suit,  and a sports jacket.  I would avoid the jackets by packing vests that imnho look dressed up even without the jacket. On the QM2 I'm not sure that will suffice.

I do not think Cunard is a cruise line for you perhaps you might be more at home on Princess who allow you to virtually wear what you want on formal nights.

12 hours ago, untailored bostonian said:

If you're speaking of "White Tie" functions/dinners as being long since passed, then this is incorrect.  Happy to confirm these events are alive and flourishing, including our own long weekend house parties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2020 at 6:06 PM, untailored bostonian said:

What areas would be some what off limit?

The buffet area, Kings Court, looks very nice for a cruise ship. At dinner I'd assume that was more casual dress.

We're 11 month out, covid willing. Our intentions are to mingle in a CC cultured manner, mostly. It is that packing thing.  I guess I'll skip those "pack in one carry-on for a months vacation" videos.

iirc there are very few...i mean its not like an entire deck is no go and it is on formal/gala nights . The main dining room,some bars and the queens room but again on certain nights . In a nutshell....bring a suit or

jacket or sport coat,dress pants and shirts,mix and match if you feel like it . 98% of the ship is open to you on gala nights . The dress in kings court after 6 is all over the spectrum sometimes i will wear a tie just for my wife ,most of the time i am in casual pants and a nice shirt with a pocket logo. I buy a new pair of jeans before every trip ,they will get used mostly for excursions , i bring no t shirts just polo types. You will see people in shorts/monster truck t shirts/ripped jeans/bathrobes [gasp]  in kings court 24/7 and it is fine. well the bathrobe and slippers are rather bad imho . Again 12 plus cruises with cunard and only wore a tux once i just bring 2 sport coats[i save packing and wear one on boarding they are great for holding my paperwork] ,we do not do the main dining room or the ball room . 

15 hours ago, untailored bostonian said:

I would avoid the jackets by packing vests that imnho look dressed up even without the jacket. On the QM2 I'm not sure that will suffice.

For casual wear on previous Cruises, were your vests of the string variety and for Gala/Formal Evenings did the Line invite the addition of a knotted handkerchief, as headwear, for that extra sartorial wow? 😉

• Haha 1