Carnival gift cards from AARP - what exactly is the problem?

squierjosh

I know it used to be easier to get discounted cards from Carnival (just answers some quizzes and use points to buy cards for 10% off). Now you have to be a member, and it seems like people are losing their crap over this. 

I just paid $12 to join for a year, then turned around and saved $260 buying 5 cards ($500 cards are $448). I didn't even have to answer questions or build up points for a few weeks, which was well worth $12 of my time.

Is this just a case of people not wanting to do a little work, or expecting too much for nothing?

Now let's just hope I can use the cards next year. 😛

29 minutes ago, squierjosh said:

Super. Not really on topic though. Also, don't you have to have Allstate insurance?

No you don't. Many people when AARP changed to their 'new' fulfillment company, migrated from AARP to Allstate to get their gift cards. I did, and I"m glad I did it. :classic_wink:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, squierjosh said:

I know it used to be easier to get discounted cards from Carnival (just answers some quizzes and use points to buy cards for 10% off). Now you have to be a member, and it seems like people are losing their crap over this. 

I just paid $12 to join for a year, then turned around and saved $260 buying 5 cards ($500 cards are $448). I didn't even have to answer questions or build up points for a few weeks, which was well worth $12 of my time.

Is this just a case of people not wanting to do a little work, or expecting too much for nothing?

Now let's just hope I can use the cards next year. 😛

You bought 5 Carnival gift cards at one time?

I haven't bought through their program for a long time.  The main reason I switched to Allstate was because AARP limited the number of Carnival cards that could be purchased a month.

You don't have to have Allstate insurance to participate in their rewards program.  But to each his own.  Do whatever works.

I guess I’m an oddball, but I enjoy the quizzes!  Yes, there are topics where I know the answers, makes me feel smart🤣 🤣!  But, I also learn from those quizzes too. 

I agree with Bury Me At Sea, to each his own. Isn’t it wonderful that we have choices on how to save a few bucks . 😁😁

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

15 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

You bought 5 Carnival gift cards at one time?

I haven't bought through their program for a long time.  The main reason I switched to Allstate was because AARP limited the number of Carnival cards that could be purchased a month.

You don't have to have Allstate insurance to participate in their rewards program.  But to each his own.  Do whatever works.

AARP old limit after converting to the new rewards system was 2 a month

Limit is now 5 a month a little better, but looks like the $500 cards have gone away permanently

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

Limit is now 5 a month a little better, but looks like the $500 cards have gone away permanently

Thanks.  I haven't checked the website in months so I appreciate the update.

Allstate fits my needs better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Both the $500 and $100 cards are currently available on the AARP site.

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Some people aren't of age to join AARP. But also allstate works and is free. But AARP was a nice backup when anyone could do it.

Anyone over 18 can join AARP. I joined a few years ago for the gift cards (I'm 40 now) but probably won't renew.

Both options are fine with me. I buy from both to keep my accounts going. The AARP membership has always been worth the cost given the number of discounts you get on many other things. Sometimes the $100 cards are gone from Allstate, but right now they are 12% off vs. 10%.  But AARP is instant. 5 a month isn't bad; especially if you also use Allstate. It took AARP over a year to get their crap straight with these cards after they changed to the new program, but it's fine now IMO. Allstate is a pain to set up. So both have their quirks.

Overall, a nice option that I will continue using. I no longer hold on to them though - like I used to do in the past. I apply them towards something right away. I don't ever want to be in a situation with a bunch of unused gift cards. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5PUPS said:

How do you buy the gift cards on the AARP website? I am a member. Thanks.

I'm looking under Member Benefits, but I don't see gift cards.

You have to go to the “Rewards for good” part of the site. Then “Redeem”. The gift cards will be there.