Was your first cruise pre or post Love boat tv show?

George C

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Oh man, you missed Gilligan's Island!  😄

What about Casey Jones.....????

never knew till years later Casey Jones was the skipper on Gilligan's island

Cheers Don

The old days sit in front of radiogram and listen to the local radio play at lunch time

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

The old days sit in front of radiogram and listen to the local radio play at lunch time

You must be about as old as me, Casey Jones was in 1958 and did not last long but I do remember it,

5 hours ago, George C said:

You must be about as old as me, Casey Jones was in 1958 and did not last long but I do remember it,

I just loved trains... my uncle was a loco driver back in the days of steam.... they to diesel....

he was a man from the old school  and wore a suit particularly driving passenger trains.....

Those were the days....

the other program i remember was Cannonball   about two truck drivers.

Cheers Don  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

13 hours ago, George C said:

You both got me.  I didn't know Alan Hale played Casey Jones until I read your post!  Actually, I don't remember Casey Jones.   But I do remember Cannonball.  

On 9/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, Tapi said:

I was a small child when I took my first cruise in 1981 (Cunard Princess), but I inherited my passion for ships from my dad who used to tell me stories from his younger years, crossing the Atlantic aboard ocean liners. 

He was aboard the Ile de France when they rescued the passengers from the ill fated Andrea Doria in 1956. He still has the original photos of the Andrea Doria sinking. I love listening to his stories about this sailing as well as many others.

Wow, that is an incredible piece of history.  👍👍👍

My late husband and I went on our first cruise in 1982.  I was a big fan of “The Love Boat” and I remember how shocked I was at the size of our inside cabin on the NCL Starward.  It was SO small.  Nothing like the cabins on the show.  😂

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, Tapi said:

He was aboard the Ile de France when they rescued the passengers from the ill fated Andrea Doria in 1956. He still has the original photos of the Andrea Doria sinking. I love listening to his stories about this sailing as well as many others.

There is a Category on CC under Cruise Discussion Topics.  A thread has been created called "Great Cruise Moments".  His memories and comments would be most appreciated if he would choose to do so.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There is a Category on CC under Cruise Discussion Topics.  A thread has been created called "Great Cruise Moments".  His memories and comments would be most appreciated if he would choose to do so.  

He’s far detached from all social media, but next time I visit him, hopefully I can get him to retell his stories. Even though he’s now in his 80’s, his memory is still in great shape.  I can take some screenshots or scans of the photos that he has from the Andrea Doria sinking. They are original photos taken by the Ile de France’s photographer and they are in a family album in pristine condition. 

He lived in Spain for 8-9 years in the 50’s, and made the transatlantic crossing by ship several times. He also has great stories about crossing the Atlantic in a Lockheed Constellation with a stop in the Azores, as well as the first time that jet service aboard a DC-8 was introduced. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 5:26 AM, antmaril said:

My late husband and I went on our first cruise in 1982.  I was a big fan of “The Love Boat” and I remember how shocked I was at the size of our inside cabin on the NCL Starward.  It was SO small.  Nothing like the cabins on the show.  😂

Much of the filming was completed in the studios, as when watching the show, I identified which parts were from the ship and which were from the studios. Don't recall them filming in the cabins.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Much of the filming was completed in the studios, as when watching the show, I identified which parts were from the ship and which were from the studios. Don't recall them filming in the cabins.

Yes, of course, I know that now, but back then (when I was young and naive), I wasn’t expecting our cabin to be the size of a walk-in closet.  The “cabins” on The Love Boat were so nice.  😁

On 9/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, ldubs said:

You both got me.  I didn't know Alan Hale played Casey Jones until I read your post!  Actually, I don't remember Casey Jones.   But I do remember Cannonball.  

I may be younger than I think I am. I don’t remember Casey Jones or Cannonball.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tapi said:

He’s far detached from all social media, but next time I visit him, hopefully I can get him to retell his stories. Even though he’s now in his 80’s, his memory is still in great shape.  I can take some screenshots or scans of the photos that he has from the Andrea Doria sinking. They are original photos taken by the Ile de France’s photographer and they are in a family album in pristine condition. 

He lived in Spain for 8-9 years in the 50’s, and made the transatlantic crossing by ship several times. He also has great stories about crossing the Atlantic in a Lockheed Constellation with a stop in the Azores, as well as the first time that jet service aboard a DC-8 was introduced. 

Such photos and his stories would be very interesting for many of us.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:15 AM, Heidi13 said:

SS Uganda in 1976 and SS Oriana 1977. In my experience, at least on P&O ships, single ladies outnumbering men was very common back in the 70's & 80's.

Love Boat filming was mostly completed on the original Pacific Princess and Island Princess, with most of it on Pacific. Spent 4 months on Island in 1979 and another 4 months on Sun Princess in 1980. Brilliant ships.

Hi Heidi13: Two episodes of the show were partially filmed on Sun Line’s Stella Solaris in the Med in 1982. As an old ship aficionado, I know you you would be interested that the Cambodge/Stella Solaris’s (1949-2003) Parsons geared steam turbines never needed replacing during it’s lifetime. I sailed on it in 2001 from Piraeus on a 7 day journey the day after 9/11. Another brilliant old ship.  
p.s. Like yourself I’m an old bluenose too.

4 hours ago, Downdie said:

Hi Heidi13: Two episodes of the show were partially filmed on Sun Line’s Stella Solaris in the Med in 1982. As an old ship aficionado, I know you you would be interested that the Cambodge/Stella Solaris’s (1949-2003) Parsons geared steam turbines never needed replacing during it’s lifetime. I sailed on it in 2001 from Piraeus on a 7 day journey the day after 9/11. Another brilliant old ship.  
p.s. Like yourself I’m an old bluenose too.

Hi Downdie - thanks for the reply. I had left P&O by 1982, as I was already in Canada, but I do recall hearing that they used another ship for a couple of episodes. I'm sure that I heard the reason, as during the Alaska season, I used to visit the ships when they were in Vancouver, for lunch and a few bevvies. Back in those days I worked 2 weeks on and 2 off on the West Coast, so didn't watch much TV, therefore I don't believe I have seen either of those 2 episodes.

Thursday 10:00, I assume you'll be tuned into RangersTV, I certainly will. Unfortunately, I didn't make it for the Hibs match at 03:00 on Sunday, but will watch it one day this week. Assuming you have read our blog, so suggest sending me an email so I can connect with a fellow teddy bear (WATP)