All Inclusive Drinks Package?

ARDXXX

Does anyone have a copy of the all-inclusive drinks package list as I have just booked a cruise for Dec 2022 on the Spirit of Adventure  but I cannot find any details of exactly what is included - is it similar to Oceania and Regent where you have XO Cognac and unlimited Champagne? or more basic?

And is the stateroom and its fridge stocked with any drink you desire?

Never cruised with them before so a little apprehensive about the formality and " dancing" so looking forward to other enteraining!

Thanks.

The included drinks is not a package as such.

It is house branded  spirits and a selection of red, white and rose wines, usually about 3 of each, soft drinks and mixers (either alone or to make up a cocktail), beers - can't remember which ones, and water.

The spirits are - erm - a bit rough.

I could cope with the vodka, the brandy was a once-tried, unable to finish(others had warned us..).

The house wines, on the contrary, are usually excellent.

We had some wine buffs on one cruise, and they were all prepared to tell the sommelier how bad the house wines were. They started their drinks, went very quiet, then one said, .."but this is excellent...".

They tried every one of the house wines through the cruise, and could not fault any of them.

If you ask for sparkling water at the bar, you are liable to get tonic water.

Premium wines, beers, spirits and coffees are all extra cost, but Saga's prices have always been reasonable.

Unless things change a lot, Saga do not carry a large stock or variety of premium drinks, and it is not unusual for them to run out of popular premium drinks mid cruise.

I know this only from others who prefer their favourite brands - we've always been very happy with their house wines.

In the standard cabins, the fridge is a fridge, it is not a mini-bar and the only thing it gets stocked with is milk for the coffee/tea.

There are usually 2 formal evenings a week, some Captains seem to try and squeeze in three, but while the dress code is generally adhered to, it is fairly laid back; those who have and enjoy evening wear are OK, those who have and enjoy M&S are also OK. Men are OK in full tux, or a lounge suit and tie, so no need to feel apprehensive.

Not sure what you mean by the dancing - those who do are well catered for with dance lessons (very friendly) and gentlemen host for the ladies (polite and friendly), and those who don't (like me) are not coerced.

One thing I will point out - the brochures keep saying the "library with cafe".

It is NOT a cafe. It is a self-service coffee machine, with 3 jars of biscuits beside it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your clarification of the points, just as well I like a good glass of wine then!

I was joking a bit about the dancing, I can imagine what it will be like, not for me either!!

Seems like an awful lot of formal nights , might end up in the buffet for a couple of them.

Might get a couple of drinks from the bar and have them on the balcony, try the odd G&T, Cheers!

I am not expecting a Regent experience but should be miles better than Fred Olsen drinks package which is pretty poor. Although their wine was OK

Unless Saga drastically change their procedures, formal attire is expected an all public areas of the ship on formal nights (from 18:00 hours).

Means the buffet is also formal dress code - sorry.

Not sure if there will be any self serve again, but when we were on the Discovery, on formal nights the buffet was split into two, one side was self-serve, the other waiter served.

The formal nights have been increasing lately, not sure why -  when we started seemed to be no more than once a week - on hot weather cruises (such a Caribbean) even less.

The initial "Today" programme in your cabin when you embark should say how many planned formal nights, and which days, there will be on your cruise; it can change according to circumstances, it will give you an idea, and you can always decide to have room service (included in your fare) if you can't face another dressy night.

1 hour ago, nosapphire said:

There are usually 2 formal evenings a week

Interesting - the Saga web page says

• 5-7 days - one formal night
  • 8-11 days - two formal nights
  • 12-21 days - three formal nights

Can the ship management set their own rules? 

• Like 1

We had 1 formal on our 7 night cruise and 2 on our 15 night cruise.

I don't drink much alcohol but the house brand spirits seemed perfectly fine in the occasional cocktail I had.

If you have a favourite, the so called 'top shelf' brands are very reasonably priced, especially when compared to Oceania prices

Edited by Glenndale

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Interesting - the Saga web page says

• 5-7 days - one formal night
  • 8-11 days - two formal nights
  • 12-21 days - three formal nights

Can the ship management set their own rules? 

The web is simply a guideline as to what to expect.

It may be changing now, but I think much depends on the Captain - some certainly seem to like formal nights, some are more relaxed. We certainly noticed that recently formal seemed to be coming round more often.

Alternatively, on the Pearl Christmas cruise, Captain said that while Christmas Day was always formal, he would allow passengers to vote whether they wanted formal or smart casual. The majority (by quite a large margin) was smart casual.

As already said, anyone who does not have the "full works" will not be out of place. Some are dressed up to the nines, others are "Smart casual plus", nobody gets hissed at.

Incidentally, the Captain's cocktail parties are well worth visiting for the canapes.

I go for the vegetable spring rolls, the spicy samosas, the mini sausage rolls, etc. The waiters bring the plates round - and round - and round.. along with the wine waiters with the fizzy stuff.

And just in case anyone is wondering whether the included drinks are capped at one or two glasses - Saga do NOT stint, they are extremely generous with both food and drink. It was sometimes a bit of a struggle to waddle out from the dining room - always stopping at the door to collect a few chocolates and mints.

I wonder if the self-serve (free) ice cream machine is still up there by the pool?

• Like 1