San Francisco to Papeete, 5 Jan 2022

JC in CA

Would love to be on a cruise.... instead we are thinking of what we might want to do in the future.  The San Francisco to Papeete 5 Jan 2022 has caught our attention.  Has anyone here taken a similar cruise?  Your thoughts?  Specifically on the Pacific Ocean crossing - rough, cold, enough to keep you busy on board?

Thanks for any information!

Jerie

PS- San Francisco is our homeport - we are just 1 hour south. 

The Pacific is cool and can be rough that time of year. That was the first part of the 2018 WC. We were on the Regent Navigator and small ships can be more effected by the seas. But have done the same itinerary at the same time of year on the Queen Elizabeth and it was rough also.

Take some sea sick meds in case. The first few days you may not see much sun, but closer to the islands it gets nicer.

Regent is a nice cruise line with plenty to do, unless you like rock climbing or the like. Casual, laidback and friendly fits Regent for us.

We cruise on several lines, but Regent is probably our favorite if they are sailing where we want to go.

• Like 1

thank you!  We have been on the Mariner once before - through the Panama Canal in 2019 - loved the ship and crew!

Someone posted a video review of this cruise (Jan 2020) - just looking at it now.

Very tempting......

Usually only cool weather for the first 2-3 day. Once you cross 30 degrees north latitude the weather warms up.  in January there can be winter storms out of Alaska that can make the early part rough. We once had 25 foot seas all the way form LA to Honolulu. Other times it is fairly smooth.

You would be on the Mariner. This ship rides the open ocean well.

J

• Like 1

I am glad that there are some positive people out there about cruising in January.    We have a 10 day cruise out of Papeete starting Feb 9 and I wondering when the time comes whether I will make the final payment.   Probably will, as we are really looking forward to the Tahiti cruise and know there will be more later if this does not happen.

We were on a 31 night B2B on Navigator in December 2019 from Papeete to Sydney. The seas were relatively calm, couple of bumps but nothing of concern and the weather was good.

i believe the prior sailing from LA to Papeete had been a little more interesting from a choppiness perspective.

I’m sure Mariner would be fine in those conditions.

Cruising the South Pacific is fabulous, especially if you have one of the great lecturers on board, we had Dr John Freedman, he was fabulous.

Go for it!

• Like 1

JC in CA,  

We were on a similar trip from LA in 2005 on our World Cruise first segment (French Polynesian islands/ Nuku Heva)  and we had gorgeous weather in early January. The seas were calm and it was perfect. We were on the Regent Voyager. 

This is actually an itinerary we're considering since we have Regent Voucher credits. 

• Like 1

We were going to do the Papeete to LA in March 2021, they made a change (small they said) making it Papeete to Lima.  We will stay with the cruise, and decided to make it a b2b adding Lima to Miami.  We hope it goes, but if not will be looking at the SF to PPT.

We did a Papeete to Lima cruise on Oceania about 3 or 4 years ago and the seas were so smooth the entire way.  We were surprised, expecting some wavy nights along the way, but had none.  That was our first cruise on Oceania and we did 2 more after that, not absolutely no more on Oceania.  Do like Regent a lot, though!

On 9/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, alidor said:

We did a Papeete to Lima cruise on Oceania about 3 or 4 years ago and the seas were so smooth the entire way.  We were surprised, expecting some wavy nights along the way, but had none.  That was our first cruise on Oceania and we did 2 more after that, not absolutely no more on Oceania.  Do like Regent a lot, though!

We were big Oceania fans, love their suites-----but enjoy cruising on Regent more.  I enjoy not pulling out the card all the time, and the food is better on Regent.

I keep looking at this segment, and it keeps winking back at me.  I'm not about to book now, in this climate, but the itinerary is very appealing--it's easy to get to, lots of sea days to kick back and relax on Mariner, some wonderful ports in French Polynesia, then we could stay in our favourite little hotel on Moorea for a post-cruise!