340+ points calculations

island284

After exploring some possible cruises it has come to my attention that the 340+ points and balcony discount for a single cruiser only amounts to approximately a savings of $90-$100 less than regular pricing for those people with less than 340+ points. If I remember correctly it was usually a few hundred dollars. Am I missing something or have those discounts disappeared?  Thanks for any input. 

They tell me it depends on what other discounts are offered. They apply the other promos to your balcony discount and it can even be 0, per similar thread.

I got from about $80 to $170, same category, 2 different bookings. No way I know of to figure it out ahead of my ta figuring it out. I've given up on rcl site. 

15 minutes ago, island284 said:

After exploring some possible cruises it has come to my attention that the 340+ points and balcony discount for a single cruiser only amounts to approximately a savings of $90-$100 less than regular pricing for those people with less than 340+ points. If I remember correctly it was usually a few hundred dollars. Am I missing something or have those discounts disappeared?  Thanks for any input. 

Not set amount, depends on over all cost. Also Discount has limitations on Holiday and Summer. Might even apply a sale if better then the Discount. Lately Royal has had rates with almost no Single Supplement. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

It really depends.  It doesn't discount port fees and taxes, everyone pays those at 100%. 

On short cruises where the cruise fare and fees/taxes can be closer to each other it doesn't seem like much.  On longer cruises it can effectively do more, depending on how much port fees and taxes are such as on Panama Canal cruises where those fees are quite high. 

When booking balcony cabins the combination of the reduced single supplement plus D+ balcony discounts can create some nicely priced cruises.

You can't ever just take the normal fare and subtract a fixed amount or percentage.  You have to price each cruise on a case by case basis.   

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

It really depends.  It doesn't discount port fees and taxes, everyone pays those at 100%. 

On short cruises where the cruise fare and fees/taxes can be closer to each other it doesn't seem like much.  On longer cruises it can effectively do more, depending on how much port fees and taxes are such as on Panama Canal cruises where those fees are quite high. 

When booking balcony cabins the combination of the reduced single supplement plus D+ balcony discounts can create some nicely priced cruises.

You can't ever just take the normal fare and subtract a fixed amount or percentage.  You have to price each cruise on a case by case basis.   

And it reduces your OBC

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

I missed something... or need to catch up on the cocktail count.  

Not sure why, but always very fortunate getting OBC from NextCruise. Maybe it's the wife. 😉

Got the full $600 on the March TA

Hello,

Paying for one, whether with 340 points or not, I only ever paid 1 x Port Fees and Taxes as they are charged by the port or other authorities per person. This is something that other lines don't do - they have charged me exactly double so they immediately get something for nothing.

I've also always got 100% of the On-board booking OBC not have it pro-rated. OBC offered on general sales have been pro-rated.

Regards,

Cublet

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Paying for one, whether with 340 points or not, I only ever paid 1 x Port Fees and Taxes as they are charged by the port or other authorities per person. This is something that other lines don't do - they have charged me exactly double so they immediately get something for nothing.

I've also always got 100% of the On-board booking OBC not have it pro-rated. OBC offered on general sales have been pro-rated.

Regards,

Cublet

What line charged you 2 port fees for solo? I've been on ncl, celebrity, princess, carnival and rcl and if only one signs up I pay for 1. If 2 sign up and 2 are charged and the 2nd doesnt show up, the 2nd is refunded to your card after the cruise. 

Hello,

P&O and Viking. Neither break-down their cruise (total) cost in the same way as RCI. The same applies for missed ports of call - no refund on port fees.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet

Hi,

My experience after reaching Diamond status, several cruise I booked on-line with RCCL website have varying discounts for Balcony.  In my observation the discount is dependent on the published cruise rate at the time when reservations are made.  Discount may increase when cruise rates are increased when it get closed to sailing.

Cheers,

Born-To-Cruise
Past Cruises: 13-RCI, 3-Carnival, 1-Celebrity and 1-Norwegian
(funds permitting, always looking forward to great cruises)

Future Cruises: 11/2020-Adventure, 04/2021-Ovation, 05/2021, 10/2021-Anthem