Live(ish) report: First real cruise this year - Greece with TUI Cruises Mein Schiff 6 - 9/27

Miaminice

So, glad you made it onboard.  The ship definitely reminds me of Celebrity, both Solstice class and Edge. Have a great time! Looking forward to your review.  You always do such a great job and the live report is very much appreciated for us folks in the USA just waiting and wishing we can be onboard with you.

Edited by ecslady
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, prish said:

Miaminice, thanks for the gorgeous pictures, makes me feel homesick! I can imagine how excited both of you must feel, am so happy you’re cruising again. And we get to do the vicariously...😉

Wow what a beautiful ship!  Thanks for sharing these and sounds they have done a good job under the circumstances!

Thanks for all the pictures Miaminice- and the report, what a pleasure to cruise with you. From what I saw from the interior of MS6,  it is very similar to MS2- in some parts- in others it differs a bit- i much prefer the chairs , decor etc. of MS6.

For my taste with MS2 ( and I fear with MS1 as well) they went a triffle overboard with the modern design.

( According to the pictures the same as they did with Edge and Apex)

The best excample are the chairs in the TUI - Bar.

MS6 has a more - well how to put it- classic feeling.

Four more days to go- taken the PCR test turnes out negativ.

Have a wonderful cruise- we have now the honor to know your dear wifes name- Birigt and Miami.

• Like 3

Ahhh, waking up to this is what we missed...

E08948AC-B649-44F3-84A5-CD4B6CF3293A.jpeg.dea3b156dbc6744291b1c14d82256600.jpeg

PS: if you have any specific questions, just shoot!

I will answer them as we go along and it gives me an idea what you guys are interested in...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 10

Okay… The captain just made an announcement we did not want to hear!

Nine crewmembers have been tested positive. Despite being on board for many weeks and not showing any symptoms.

The positive tests were conducted by a Greek laboratory. The on-board PCR, which is now used to confirm the results, already showed two of the nine as negative. The rest is still pending.

Of course pre-determined procedures now kick in. Crew are isolated and authorities were notified. They now have to determine if we can continue our voyage or if we have to return Heraklion.

So it’s wait and see now…

In case you wonder if we are worried – no! Not at all. With all the measures we experienced the past 1 1/2 days we still feel safer than at any hotel, any shopping mall or any restaurant.

Of course I will let you know what happens!

• Like 2

So far we are still heading north towards Piraeus. Other news reported that the authorities have determined that the ship must call on Piraeus as planned for now. 
More remains to be seen...

On board everything is normal. Of course everyone wonders how this journey will continue, but nobody seems worried. 
I guess we all feel the same confidence in the concept we have experienced so far. 

No new announcement yet.

BTW: This is the third 7 night cruise of MS 6 already. So the ship is back in service for more than a week already. Marine Traffic should actually know 😉

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

Update: 
The captain just announced that all on-board PCR tests done so far turned out negative. So there is a discrepancy between the on-board PCR tests and the tests done in Heraklion.

So for now we are continuing our journey to Athens, where we will arrive at 5:30 am tomorrow morning. Local authorities will then board the ship and test the crewmembers again for confirmation.

The captain and obviously the on-board medical team seem confident that this was a false alarm. So they already made plans for an overnight in Athens since excursions tomorrow will not be possible before we are cleared. 

The very low cruising speed on this itinerary allows for an extra day without problem.

As soon as we know more we will let you know.

• Like 4

I think the concept and implementation have been  excellent.   False positives are going to be an issue along the way...and cruising will probably never be Covid free. 

If this ship cruised from the US we would take a chance..totally loved how it looks.

Fresh and modern but not over the top in any way.  Classy and Classic.  Hope Celebrity takes note!

Would like to hear more about evening events and other activities. How is the food?

Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy!!!

We just received another update by the Captain:

He assured us that they are feverishly working on processing the onboard PCR tests.

He informed us that so far ALL of the tests processed showed a negative result without stating the number of processed tests.

When he made the first announcement at around 1pm he mentioned two tests. Given that the machine takes about 70 minutes per test the number must be higher by now. 
High enough to boost confidence and for them to continue planning our itinerary changes. Regardless of that the 12 crew members remain isolated.

I don’t really want to speculate what went wrong. However, I am trying to look at the pieces of puzzle. PCR tests are the most reliable tests. False results are rare. In Germany positive results are reconfirmed by retesting the samples. One discrepancy is unusual. The number of two, mentioned a few hours ago, is more than just unusual. More than two... extremely implausible.

Anyway, it seems as if the Greek authorities feel the same way. Otherwise the reaction would have been different and any plans for a changed itinerary futile.

We will know more tomorrow...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Miaminice for taking the time to share your cruise experience with us all.  The ship looks so very beautiful!  Will keep the crew and guests in my thoughts and prayers.  Praying your cruise continues safely and that the crew's covid tests all come back negative!!! 

Edited by GRANNYOFSIX