Live(ish) report: First real cruise this year - Greece with TUI Cruises Mein Schiff 6 - 9/27

Miaminice

1 minute ago, Issyalex said:

Your electric scooter tour look like fun. Do you have to be really fit or could an unfit 60 something do it without looking old and stupid? 🙈😂😂

😁 I am not really a fitness nut but managed. It’s just about balance and not really hard.

2 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

😁 I am not really a fitness nut but managed. It’s just about balance and not really hard.

But you look a lot younger. 😀 the last scooter I was on was my 43year old daughter’s when she was wee and it had 3 wheels not 2. 😂😂

Thanks MV, I am vicariously following your cruise and posts, to stem my cruise fever! 😀 I appreciate your reviews of the onboard protocols, the facilities, food and excursions. Keep it up.

I am booked on the Marella Explorer to Canaries in March 2021. Marella is another cruise line which is owned and operated by TUI, aimed at the UK cruise market. I am hoping for similar onboard procedures and social distancing to be in place, however I am not convinced and consequently very worried, that the UK cruisers will not be as compliant as the Germans appear to be.

Thank you for your review and enjoy the rest of your cruise. I look forward to hearing more.

Edited by Tipsy252
update

Thank you for the great review, very happy you are enjoying yourselves.

I know it's been said before, but here is a little reminder. You can block comments on individual posters. Just hover over their name and click "ignore". It is a nice feature.

• Like 3

Covid Policy Cruise - Mein Schiff 6 - Restaurant & Bar Menus

Under the guise of giving you more information, I want to talk a little more about food 😁

Last night we went to Osteria, an Italian themed restaurant partially included.

E9459DDF-7865-4BB1-9715-0587301BCD05.jpeg.291d5006e237e5337ea54b466ceaeb94.jpeg

CFF9DCC6-11B8-40F4-80B8-A267F4D971C3.jpeg.e7c14f4ab14ca07ed763a038ce33ae03.jpeg

843B0ADB-417D-469F-AA4A-35810487ED7D.jpeg.69d16acc3e25f8685b8236c6931df4cb.jpeg

“Partially included” meaning that most of the dishes are included and a few dishes come at an extra fee - which is very reasonable (€ 4,90).

60F00857-EDAF-4D64-91B6-28EEAC103B25.jpeg.642972c1ffd63eec8277ed3d43095869.jpeg

AE1CB611-C47F-4ABD-99D2-CF5701200A0B.jpeg.4c279803593bc0162b845928cc49a7b9.jpeg

BEFF458B-7769-47EB-89FD-23F9AD1C379B.jpeg.257e83ff8c2f4d50bc168ddbc6fd299a.jpeg

ED8CD946-A920-4A07-A55F-286DD44644A8.jpeg.0e5aed1133eca12e1e338036323afc80.jpeg

936EB60B-9B6E-4D08-A296-B0890D27C049.jpeg.740a7850a594e18421c9b396ce0c0c6b.jpeg

While we had dinner I remembered that I haven’t told you about how menus are handled in restaurants and bars.

To reduce contact, no traditional hardcover menu is handed to passengers. There’s a sign on every table with a QR code. You can simply scan the code by using your mobile phone’s camera and the menu will open up on the ship’s app. No internet package is required.

B7EEC6BF-B11A-44A8-BD3D-9C487AB9108F.jpeg.0d5ee68d828c8a9b29f8b82a9038a0b1.jpeg

F8DBCA23-D212-4313-BCCE-AB2BFB38D1AA.png.de9accfbca8c01f22c0aad3cf06f8b72.png

Just to bust a myth I have been reading a few times on the web: You can view the menu on the phone. You can’t order on the app. The order is placed with your friendly waiter, as always.

If you prefer a real menu in your hands over the small display of your phone - maybe because your arms are getting shorter with age (mine are), or you forgot your reading glasses - you can also have a single use paper menu.

Bon Appetit!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We were out to lunch ( outdoors, tables well apart) and the restaurant was also menu less and used a a code that was scammed on our phones. The menu popped right up On our screens.  I said to my husband that this was something ships should use, especially now.   Your dinner looked wonderful.

• Like 1

Can you see the menu on your phone in English too? Have the food choices in all restaurants onboard been reduced or is there just as much choice as before? 

loving the food photos, after all food is important on any cruise. 

1 hour ago, Issyalex said:

Can you see the menu on your phone in English too? Have the food choices in all restaurants onboard been reduced or is there just as much choice as before? 

loving the food photos, after all food is important on any cruise. 

Since this cruise line mainly caters German speaking guests, I don’t think they have an English menu. Not on the app anyway...

The food choice has not been reduced. Full menu and choice as always!

So no excuse not to gain weight 😉

• Like 3

Covid Policy Cruise - Mein Schiff 6 - The elephant in the room

129AA641-4133-46DB-B706-26A612ECD497.thumb.jpeg.fb5306d189d8f378b797a8551fee512f.jpeg

In an attempt to show you what life is like on a cruise ship under Covid guidelines I also want to cover the most disputed topic, the elephant in the room - Masks.

It’s seems to be one of the most talked about and controversial issues - at least in some parts of the world -  and I’ve read some very abstruse myths on Facebook and CruiseCritic. So let me be the myth buster…

Brace yourselves 😉

Yes, masks are required to be worn! 

Are you required to wear a mask 24/7 or anywhere on the ship at any time?

No, of course not!

In a nutshell – masks have to be worn where distancing is difficult or cannot be guaranteed. Naturally this would be in elevators, corridors, queues etc.

Do you have to wear a mask in a restaurant or a bar all the time? 

Now, if some of you shake your head while reading this question, I have read such rumours! The answer is again: no, of course not!

Just like we are used to it by now on land – at least in Germany – you wear the mask when entering a restaurant or bar and while walking to your table or seat. Then it’s mask off and time to enjoy a drink or a good meal.

Once you’re done, you put your mask back on and walk out of the restaurant or bar.

Should you choose to get a drink at one of the counters instead of waiting for a waiter to serve you, you put your mask on and order the drink at the bar. Since obviously you are moving closer to the bartender at that moment, you wear the mask for his or her protection. All the bartenders and staff wear masks from morning to nighttime.

At the buffet you wear a mask while walking around and choosing your food. Not once you are seated.

What about the sun deck or the pool?

In outside spaces like the sundeck or the pool deck there is no need to wear a mask. Of course you’re obligated to keep a distance to your neighbour.

Let me tell you how people on this ship do it. While relaxing in the sun, they don’t wear a mask. When they get up and walk somewhere, they automatically put on the masks. It has become and automatism to all of us.

So they even wear masks in places where they wouldn’t even need to. This also goes for inside spaces. Although there are many places where they would not have to wear masks, you really don’t see anybody without. 

Basically it comes down to this: no mask outside, and always inside (with the explained exceptions).

Does this impact the feeling of a cruise in any way? 

My personal answer would be: no, of course not! Why should it? 

It’s a necessity, a sign of our time, and it doesn’t bother me or most of the other people here at all. It’s simply the right thing to do. 

In a conversation with staff or with fellow passengers you can smile with your eyes. You can be friendly with words and the tone of your voice.

So the only problem in regards of masks I can think of is packing... have I packed enough socks? Have I packed enough underwear? Now we have to add: have I packed enough masks?

This humorous look at it brings me straight to the answer of another question: on this ship masks were provided. We found two packs on our bed after embarkation.

So just to give you an image: does this look any different to you? Maybe less crowded - so not less but more fun!

34147C91-CD43-47DF-B02D-011774D4F3C9.jpeg.03684b3e08fc1f2afd5256ac753b2fe4.jpeg

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Wearing masks in shops, walking in/out/about restaurants/cafes/pubs and enclosed places are in force in Scotland too. We are not allowed to go to the bar to order food or drinks, it’s all waiter service. It’s amazing how quickly you get used to wearing a mask and how it becomes second nature applying it. It’s part of our lives for the foreseeable future.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Covid Policy Cruise - Mein Schiff 6 - The elephant in the room

129AA641-4133-46DB-B706-26A612ECD497.thumb.jpeg.fb5306d189d8f378b797a8551fee512f.jpeg

In an attempt to show you what life is like on a cruise ship under Covid guidelines I also want to cover the most disputed topic, the elephant in the room - Masks.

It’s seems to be one of the most talked about and controversial issues - at least in some parts of the world -  and I’ve read some very abstruse myths on Facebook and CruiseCritic. So let me be the myth buster…

Brace yourselves 😉

Yes, masks are required to be worn! 

Are you required to wear a mask 24/7 or anywhere on the ship at any time?

No, of course not!

In a nutshell – masks have to be worn where distancing is difficult or cannot be guaranteed. Naturally this would be in elevators, corridors, queues etc.

Do you have to wear a mask in a restaurant or a bar all the time? 

Now, if some of you shake your head while reading this question, I have read such rumours! The answer is again: no, of course not!

Just like we are used to it by now on land – at least in Germany – you wear the mask when entering a restaurant or bar and while walking to your table or seat. Then it’s mask off and time to enjoy a drink or a good meal.

Once you’re done, you put your mask back on and walk out of the restaurant or bar.

Should you choose to get a drink at one of the counters instead of waiting for a waiter to serve you, you put your mask on and order the drink at the bar. Since obviously you are moving closer to the bartender at that moment, you wear the mask for his or her protection. All the bartenders and staff wear masks from morning to nighttime.

At the buffet you wear a mask while walking around and choosing your food. Not once you are seated.

What about the sun deck or the pool?

In outside spaces like the sundeck or the pool deck there is no need to wear a mask. Of course you’re obligated to keep a distance to your neighbour.

Let me tell you how people on this ship do it. While relaxing in the sun, they don’t wear a mask. When they get up and walk somewhere, they automatically put on the masks. It has become and automatism to all of us.

So they even wear masks in places where they wouldn’t even need to. This also goes for inside spaces. Although there are many places where they would not have to wear masks, you really don’t see anybody without. 

Basically it comes down to this: no mask outside, and always inside (with the explained exceptions).

Does this impact the feeling of a cruise in any way? 

My personal answer would be: no, of course not! Why should it? 

It’s a necessity, a sign of our time, and it doesn’t bother me or most of the other people here at all. It’s simply the right thing to do. 

In a conversation with staff or with fellow passengers you can smile with your eyes. You can be friendly with words and the tone of your voice.

So the only problem in regards of masks I can think of is packing... have I packed enough socks? Have I packed enough underwear? Now we have to add: have I packed enough masks?

This humorous look at it brings me straight to the answer of another question: on this ship masks were provided. We found two packs on our bed after embarkation.

So just to give you an image: does this look any different to you? Maybe less crowded - so not less but more fun!

34147C91-CD43-47DF-B02D-011774D4F3C9.jpeg.03684b3e08fc1f2afd5256ac753b2fe4.jpeg

Absolutely love this thread, thanks for taking the time to do this!  May 2021 APEX for me, fingers crossed.  The ship you are on looks beautiful and very very modern, I love that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Absolutely love this thread, thanks for taking the time to do this!  May 2021 APEX for me, fingers crossed.  The ship you are on looks beautiful and very very modern, I love that!

This thread is brilliant in dispelling all the myths. Fact stated here will help many, including us. A cruise with these restrictions seems perfectly reasonable. We would like more freedom, but can cope very well with these protocols in place.

• Like 8

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us, Miaminice! Until reading this thread, I was firmly in the "I won't cruise if I have to wear a mask" camp. However, after seeing your photos of social distancing in action, I find myself reconsidering 🤔

We sailed on a shortened post-Hurricane Dorian cruise on the Symphony of the Seas last fall and greatly enjoyed the open space and lack of crowds on our half-full ship. Of course, there wasn't a global pandemic at the time so everything else about the cruise was "normal."  But much has changed since then and my "normal" today already involves wearing a mask and social distancing. If I'm willing to do that at home, perhaps I will consider doing so at sea, as long as adequate testing and safeguards are in place.

• Like 4

Neither my husband or I would have any problem complying with these policies.  As many have already mentioned, it's really just part of the "new normal" of our everyday lives here at home.  I'm loving all the pictures and information you're providing Miaminice, and I just wanted to thank you again for taking time away from your holiday to do this for us! 

• Like 1

Whew!!  I finally read all of the posts...I haven't been on the Celebrity pages too much lately,  Miaminice, I'm so glad all went well with your testing before your trip, and that it looks like you are having a really nice time.  I love the brightness of the ship..absolutely beautiful,  You're excursion in Athens looked awesome.  What a great way to see everything!  When we were in Athens, it was on one of the buses.  It looks like everything is run extremely well both onboard and off.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and thank you for taking us all along with you!!