Covid/Health protocols on Oceania

prescottbob

Just an FYI. I rec’d s sales brochure today and the Oceania folks are instituting protocols recommended by their Healthy Sail Panel. Looks like they ‘plan’ to sale summer of 2021 if all goes well (at least that’s what the particular brochure was advertising).

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

Be well.

Bob

• Like 2

thanks for this Bob.  

I was on one Oceania cruise where we had Noro.  The crew were abysmal at handling it compared to HAL. ( I had been on two other cruises with HAL when we had Noro)  Based on my past experience and what I saw, I wouldn’t trust them one iota to keep me safe.

Appreciate the info though 🙂 

• Like 2

Thanks, unless I missed it there is no discussion on port protocol.  We are watching very closely to see if they are going to allow private shore excursions or guests to disembark freely at ports.

Kazu, that must have been one bad cruise, you mention it often on O topics.  No line is perfect and they all make mistakes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Kazu, that must have been one bad cruise, you mention it often on O topics.  No line is perfect and they all make mistakes.

It was Kirk.  I watched guys aimlessly cleaning the same wall area over and over with no interest.  Meanwhile tables were not sanitized, salt and peppers were out, crystal was out in the Terrace Grill and all the condiments.  Everything was open but the laundromats.  It’s endless and I know what HAL does.

I’ve never ever been glad to get off a ship.  We were this time.

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

It was Kirk.  I watched guys aimlessly cleaning the same wall area over and over with no interest.  Meanwhile tables were not sanitized, salt and peppers were out, crystal was out in the Terrace Grill and all the condiments.  Everything was open but the laundromats.  It’s endless and I know what HAL does.

I’ve never ever been glad to get off a ship.  We were this time.

I understand, we had a cruise so bad on the Maasdam last year we got off 17 days early.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I understand, we had a cruise so bad on the Maasdam last year we got off 17 days early.

I remember that.  That’s even sadder 😞   Did HAL do anything for you at all for that?

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

I remember that.  That’s even sadder 😞   Did HAL do anything for you at all for that?

We did not ask for or expect anything but they did give us some FCC’s.  It was actually our TA who pushed for it.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Thanks, unless I missed it there is no discussion on port protocol.  We are watching very closely to see if they are going to allow private shore excursions or guests to disembark freely at ports.

The only ‘slight’ mention of port tours from my reading was that tours would have to be approved with the proper sanitation protocols in place.

Needless to say, the information is a tad loose on the specifics for port tours, etc.at this point.

My guess would be at least initially port call tours would need to be approved and available only thru the line, aka, ship tours only, regardless of cruise lines.

Me thinks, at least during the re-start phase, that port independent walk arounds will definitely not be an option.
Understandable at this point I suppose.

However, the initial protocols are not for me cruise-wise at this point but I could  change my mind. I’ll await opinions posted when things start up again. Never say never , no?

In any event, I’ll await another year or so if necessary when things ‘settle down’ with an available & effective worldwide vaccine.

Life is the ultimate adventure, no?

Be well.

Bob

• Like 2

I keep thinking I will read something from cruise lines describing substantial new and vastly improved virus protections protocols.  What I've read so far, has just been more of the same.  I can't imagine boarding a cruise ship again until I see comprehensive protocols for preventing spread of any virus.

I read the article.  It appears that Oceania is relying on the local authorities to dictate the rules while in port but I also would like clarity on that issue.  Whatever the locals may say the issue is what are you bringing onboard,  

@kazu  we continue to agree about Oceania.  My first cruises years ago were with NCL and loved them when they had small ships.  I so looked forward to becoming a fan of Oceania - never again.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

Nothing about mandatory shore excursions.

Nothing about what will happen if the ship has cases of COVID onboard other than mention of isolation facilities -- what about agreeements with ports for disembarking passengers?

Nothing about crew having individual cabins, which has been mentioned time and again as a preventive measure.

I am less concerned about super-sanitized surfaces as it seems pretty clear by now that COVID is primarily spread actively rather than via touching surfaces.  I want to hear about strict social distancing, mask wearing, etc. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, quack2 said:

I keep thinking I will read something from cruise lines describing substantial new and vastly improved virus protections protocols.  What I've read so far, has just been more of the same.  I can't imagine boarding a cruise ship again until I see comprehensive protocols for preventing spread of any virus.

But what would those protocols be?  At the end of the day cruising really doesn’t work with a pandemic.  Until the virus is done, cruising either can’t happen or if it does the experience will be ridiculously restrictive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

But what would those protocols be?  At the end of the day cruising really doesn’t work with a pandemic.  Until the virus is done, cruising either can’t happen or if it does the experience will be ridiculously restrictive.

In addition, unless it is a cruise to nowhere, much of the experience still relies on other ports and their governments perceptions and rules. 

21 hours ago, quack2 said:

Here they are:

https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Healthy-Sail-Panel_Full-Recommendations_9.21.20_FINAL.pdf

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

In addition, unless it is a cruise to nowhere, much of the experience still relies on other ports and their governments perceptions and rules. 

Precisely well said TiogaCruiser and KirKNC.

I am trying to understand why consumers are purchasing a cruise these days - what is the product offering?

It seems to be to be a purchase of a "vague promise", with considerable cruise line inability to control the product, ie access to ports.

It does not matter which cruise line - they are all selling a figment of their imagination.

• Thanks 1

Quote from page 54

“Given that cruise operators will not be able to fully control the SARS-CoV-2 mitigation efforts (e.g., sanitation, social distancing) of every venue at the destinations of interest, the Panel recommends that in the startup phase, guests should only be permitted to disembark at ports if they are taking cruise line- sponsored excursions where such efforts would be subject to vendor management considerations..”

Now the question becomes how long is the “start up phase” or when will it end.  This comment combined with the recommendation to visit cruise line controlled venues and start with short cruises means it will probably be well into 2022 before cruising has any appeal to us.  

Anyone want some cheap FCC’s?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Quote from page 54

“Given that cruise operators will not be able to fully control the SARS-CoV-2 mitigation efforts (e.g., sanitation, social distancing) of every venue at the destinations of interest, the Panel recommends that in the startup phase, guests should only be permitted to disembark at ports if they are taking cruise line- sponsored excursions where such efforts would be subject to vendor management considerations..”

Now the question becomes how long is the “start up phase” or when will it end.  This comment combined with the recommendation to visit cruise line controlled venues and start with short cruises means it will probably be well into 2022 before cruising has any appeal to us.  

Anyone want some cheap FCC’s?

I think the start up phase is the question.  We are only 6 months into this and it has been a rapidly evolving situation.  I expect 6 months from now it will be unrecognizable from what people on this forum think - one way or the other

I seriously hope that we get a vaccine.  I have read all the proposed implementations put forth to the CDC on behalf of Oceania and Royal Caribbean and their medical expert advisors.  I am not at all looking forward to having to take ship's shore excursions only.  I like to hire my own driver and go see what I want at my own pace without having to get somewhere in a crowded bus.  If I don't have any specific sights to see, I enjoy just wandering around the ports, grabbing some local food, shopping and people watching.  That is the main draw to me beyond the wonderful cruise experience in itself.