Worrying developments with virus

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Numbers are going down in VIC. NSW is on the right track with only 1 local transmission in the last few days. Australians are mostly onboard with the messages we are getting to live with the virus until a vaccine or treatment arrives. 😷

Zero in NSW, why wont Qld open them pearly gates. qld 3, NSW nil.

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Just read that a member of a government health task force predicts 100 deaths per day in UK within two to three weeks time. Indicative death rate of 0.8% which is pretty high especially in light of such huge numbers of cases of infection. Boris under fire.

You mean 100 thousand per day, not 100.

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You mean 100 thousand per day, not 100.

Not sure if you're making a joke but no, I meant what I said, that the prediction is for 100 DEATHS per day based on the number of cases they have right now in the UK.

The number of cases is doubling every 10 days but I think it's probably fair to assume that the doubling rate will shorten as the virus is spreading exponentially. That spread will only be halted by a forceful lockdown which the UK government doesn't have the stomach for, it seems.

I feel so terribly sorry for the people of the UK who will be caught up in this disaster. And I hope to god we don't have any further out of control outbreaks in Australia.

'The UK’s daily coronavirus death toll will rise from 34 to 100 a day in three to four weeks’ time, an expert on the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) has warned.

Infectious disease modelling expert Prof Graham Medley said there is little that can be done now to prevent daily deaths climbing to 100 – but “we need to make sure transmission comes down now” to prevent the figure increasing further.'

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Not sure if you're making a joke but no, I meant what I said, that the prediction is for 100 DEATHS per day based on the number of cases they have right now in the UK.

The number of cases is doubling every 10 days but I think it's probably fair to assume that the doubling rate will shorten as the virus is spreading exponentially. That spread will only be halted by a forceful lockdown which the UK government doesn't have the stomach for, it seems.

I feel so terribly sorry for the people of the UK who will be caught up in this disaster. And I hope to god we don't have any further out of control outbreaks in Australia.

'The UK’s daily coronavirus death toll will rise from 34 to 100 a day in three to four weeks’ time, an expert on the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) has warned.

Infectious disease modelling expert Prof Graham Medley said there is little that can be done now to prevent daily deaths climbing to 100 – but “we need to make sure transmission comes down now” to prevent the figure increasing further.'

Sorry, I did not read you right, I misunderstood, yes you meant 100 deaths per day.  They have already achieved that, early on. I have relatives in England, some of them have not been out of the house in 6 months, the aged have been hit bad, there, like here.  PM Boris should have implemented mandatory mask wearing, curfews, lockdowns etc, months ago, too late the virus is winning in the UK. 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:04 AM, NSWP said:

I have a couple of very elderly Aunts and a half sister in England, Mic. They don't want to talk about Covid, like it never happened and is not happening.   Stupid attitude. Many Brits have the same attitude, treating Covid as a non event and hoping it will magically all go away, wrong !!  watch some of the bbc news broadcasts and you tube docos.  A UK Govt Minister said that 100,000 positive cases across the UK per day is possible.

I appreciate that UK does not appear to have managed COVID particularly well. Numbers are very scary.

However, we are in our second lockdown (National and now local). We certainly are very aware of how difficult it has been for many people and we are definitely not treating it as a ‘non event’ ! Generalisations are not helpful.

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

He said "many," not "all".

It's a reflection of the situation there.

Once again...gneralisations are not helpful. I know no one who is seeing the pandemic as a 'non event'  May have something to do with my circle of family and friends. 

I think the word needed, instead of 'many' is 'some'!

• Like 1

It's interesting to see how this is being viewed from overseas.

There are the Covidiots who are flouting the rules and there are the ones who are in denial, probably because they are scared.

But the majority are doing what the government asks them to do - but the trouble is the government has been abysmal in their handling of the crisis and the messaging has been contradictory.  

I'm hunkering down for a very rough winter. The situation is bad enough, but there's the OTHER thing that's happening at the end of the year- the Brexit transition period is ending.  Add in some snow or some flooding at the start of January, and things could get very dicey. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It's interesting to see how this is being viewed from overseas.

There are the Covidiots who are flouting the rules and there are the ones who are in denial, probably because they are scared.

But the majority are doing what the government asks them to do - but the trouble is the government has been abysmal in their handling of the crisis and the messaging has been contradictory.  

I'm hunkering down for a very rough winter. The situation is bad enough, but there's the OTHER thing that's happening at the end of the year- the Brexit transition period is ending.  Add in some snow or some flooding at the start of January, and things could get very dicey. 

I was in the UK this time last year as Autumn arrived.  People were already wearing warm coats as protection from the cold wind.  So thinking of you and everyone in UK as you face winter with covid virus numbers currently increasing.  I hope the new restrictions and lockdowns are successful.  Looking forward to a time when I can revisit my favourite city, London.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The use of 'many' is justified when used as a determiner or pronoun (adjective) as it means 'a large number of', however if used as a noun, then it becomes 'the majority'.

I believe many (noun) here use it as an adjective.

many DEFINITIONS AND SYNONYMS 

ADVERB, DETERMINER, PREDETERMINER, PRONOUN
UK/ˈmeni

Many can be used in the following ways:
as a determiner (followed by a plural noun): It happened many years ago.How many children have you?
as a pronoun‘Did he write any other books?’ ‘Not many.’(followed by ‘of’): Many of you will be going on to university.
as a predeterminer (followed by the indefinite article ‘a’ and a singular noun): We shall not see each other again for many a long day.
as an adjective (after a word such as ‘the’, ‘his’, or ‘these’, and followed by a noun): He said goodbye to his many friends.
as a noun in the phrase the manyThe few who behave badly spoil the enjoyment of the many.

My opinion is that SOME would be more realistic in this sentence.

6 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Once again...gneralisations are not helpful. I know no one who is seeing the pandemic as a 'non event'  May have something to do with my circle of family and friends. 

I think the word needed, instead of 'many' is 'some'!

Ok, understand, some is the word. There endeth the lesson. All a bit too heavy for this board.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I was in the UK this time last year as Autumn arrived.  People were already wearing warm coats as protection from the cold wind.  So thinking of you and everyone in UK as you face winter with covid virus numbers currently increasing.  I hope the new restrictions and lockdowns are successful.  Looking forward to a time when I can revisit my favourite city, London.

Up until this last week, it was still very nice and warm in my area. Also, the COVID cases are relatively low round here, so I do feel very fortunate. 

But many other areas have various levels of lockdown, and I feel more restrictions are on their way. But it all seems to happen too slowly - I feel we are drifting at the moment. Very worrying.

However, like you, I will look forward to better days. I visited Australia in 2017 on a cruise, and it was the thrill of my life to see many of the places I had only seen on television. 

One day, I’ll visit again. There is a lot more to see 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 8:12 AM, Dermotsgirl said:
On 9/29/2020 at 6:55 AM, MMDown Under said:

Up until this last week, it was still very nice and warm in my area. Also, the COVID cases are relatively low round here, so I do feel very fortunate

If it is of any help, the change to winter this year didn’t seem to affect Covid to any degree, more so it’s spread continues to be thoughtless people not doing the right thing.

Personally, I believe, that the World will see a vaccine before the middle of 2021 exactly because of what you are experiencing in the UK and also in the US.
Too often we look at the vaccines’ progress from our Aussie Bubble and forget the rest of the worlds struggle 🙄

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I didn't want to start a new thread. It has been announced that President Donald Trump and his wife Melania have both tested positive to COVID-19 after attending an election rally.

Yes, they flew with Hope Hicks who has just tested positive which is why they were tested. Lots of other people in his circle on the official plane, too.

10 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I sincerely hope that he wasn't infectious when he "debated" (is that the term for what occurred the other day?) Joe Biden. I would hate it if Joe caught the virus.

Maybe he was far enough away from Mr Biden not to pose a risk. I hope so.🙂

• Like 1

In all sincerity, wishing Mr and Mrs Trump a speedy recovery.💗

I hope not too many got infected via the President and the First Lady, i.e. Airforce 1 crew, Staffers, Secret Service etc.

Edited by NSWP