Disembark Sydney and embark in Brisbane same day?

Prof96

Looking at back to back cruises in February and March 2022 on Princess.  Is it possible (or impossible!) to get off in Sydney and travel to Brisbane to get on a ship leaving the same day? I am from the US if that matters with immigration, etc.

Thanks!

You’d be lucky.

off in Sydney about 8:00

allow an hour to the airport

Waiting time What time can you get a flight?

Roughly 2 hour flight (about 500 in by air I think from memory)

another hour (probably a bit more) to collect bags get a cab and get to terminal

So not impossible if the planets align, but even one glitch and you are in trouble.

its not a trip I have done in a long time, but last time I did it regularly there was nothing after about 8:30 out of Sydney till about lunch time, that I think will be the killer.

While it is dependant on no delays due to weather, it is quite doable. In March,  Sydney is on daylight saving time, therefore one hour ahead of the time in Brisbane.

A taxi from Brisbane airport in middle of day to the cruise terminal would take less than 20 minutes. 

Edited by Bowm54

Assuming you can get off the first cruise before 8am and catch the train (so as not to risk traffic holdups) from Circular Quay to the airport for a Brisbane flight at 10am, then you arrive in Brisbane (after a 1.5 hr flight) about 10:30am because Queensland is not on Daylight Saving Time.

The new Brisbane Cruise Terminal which opens in a few weeks, is about 20 minutes by taxi from the Domestic Airport Terminal. Given some time for baggage pickup, you could be be at the dock by 11:30am.

Depending on when your ship departs you would have a buffer of between 2 and 5 hours.

I'm not recommending this, only that it can be done.

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Window is a tad tight, I would not do it. Have a night or two in Brisvegas, pre cruise. Flight time Syd to Bris is one hour and twenty minutes.

A bit hard to do if both cruises arrive/ leave the same day. 🤔🤔

Would not recommend.  We don't know what flights/airlines will be in place after this current situation passes.  What was possible pre-COVID may not be an option in the future.  In the past I have been terribly delayed coming from Sydney to Brisbane and completely bumped to the next day.

6 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Assuming you can get off the first cruise before 8am and catch the train (so as not to risk traffic holdups) from Circular Quay to the airport for a Brisbane flight at 10am, then you arrive in Brisbane (after a 1.5 hr flight) about 10:30am because Queensland is not on Daylight Saving Time.

The new Brisbane Cruise Terminal which opens in a few weeks, is about 20 minutes by taxi from the Domestic Airport Terminal. Given some time for baggage pickup, you could be be at the dock by 11:30am.

Depending on when your ship departs you would have a buffer of between 2 and 5 hours.

I'm not recommending this, only that it can be done.

I agree with this assessment. If you have to board by 2pm for 4pm departure, the timing is tight, but if the departure is a later in the day, it should be OK. P&O usually had boarding by 2pm at Portside, but ships leaving from the new terminal might have 4pm as the latest boarding time.

BTW, most if not all cruises will leave from the new terminal because the larger ships cannot go up the river to Portside (one hour further up the river).

Of course, none of us know if there will be further delays in boarding when cruising re-starts. This could help you by spreading the boarding process over a longer period in the day, but there is no guarantee of that.

• Like 1

A couple of points to check.
Is the first cruise starting in Australia, if so no immigration/ passport check, just collection of arrival cards.

What terminal,  White Bay or OPT .  Less airport transport options at White Bay  ie no train  service which is a fast reliable way of getting to the airport  with no risk of traffic jambs ... will it be a week day or weekend?
Are you able to carry your luggage off the ship yourselves as this is a lot quicker ( and reliable) as no chance of “ misplaced/ finding bags” and you can be first off and it should only take 10-15 minutes from ship to exit terminal.

What  time does the second cruise leave Brisbane.

6 hours ago, Prof96 said:

Looking at back to back cruises in February and March 2022 on Princess.  Is it possible (or impossible!) to get off in Sydney and travel to Brisbane to get on a ship leaving the same day? I am from the US if that matters with immigration, etc.

If you are really keen on doing these back to back cruises, I would wait until closer to 2022.  There are so many unknowns at present with the pandemic, it makes future planning difficult.  In theory it is possible (pre pandemic), but tight.  First cruise could be delayed disembarking in Sydney, flights could be delayed, etc.

40 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

What terminal,  White Bay or OPT

With the departure of Sea and Sun Princess to parts unknown, I think the only Princess ship left that could possibly fit under the Bridge is the Pacific Princess. The Coral Princess, which will now be one of the smaller ships, is 62m high. I don't know if that includes draft, but even so would still be too high. Maybe they'll be at Botany Bay by then?

40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I would wait until closer to 2022.

This. The times are too uncertain to be making plans that far ahead. Wait until closer to the time and have a plan B just in case. At the very least wait until Australia, and whatever other ports you are interested in, are actually allowing foreign visitors. Until then everything is hypothetical.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

With the departure of Sea and Sun Princess to parts unknown, I think the only Princess ship left that could possibly fit under the Bridge is the Pacific Princess. The Coral Princess, which will now be one of the smaller ships, is 62m high. I don't know if that includes draft, but even so would still be too high. Maybe they'll be at Botany Bay by then?

I do remember that when Sydney Ports was updated, there were several departures of Pacific Adventure from White Bay. Not sure how they were going to get under the harbour bridge however.

I wouldn't do it but it is certainly possible.

Get off early and you could easily make a 10.30am flight and be at the Brisbane cruise terminal by noon, (daylight saving time included).

This of course is on the proviso of no delays or hiccups with the first cruise, traffic to and from the 2 airports or the flight.

Thanks to everyone!  Your advice has been helpful.  For now we have decided against taking the risk.

For those that asked about details, the day in question would have been 3-7-22 (Monday).  Off the Royal Princess in Sydney and onto the Coral Princess departing Brisbane at 4:00.  Oh well, back to other options!

6 hours ago, Prof96 said:

Thanks to everyone!  Your advice has been helpful.  For now we have decided against taking the risk.

For those that asked about details, the day in question would have been 3-7-22 (Monday).  Off the Royal Princess in Sydney and onto the Coral Princess departing Brisbane at 4:00.  Oh well, back to other options!

I suppose it would be similar to disembarking from a ship in Miami in the morning and embarking on another out of Charleston or Orlando. It is certainly possible but the risks are there. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...