Michael Bayley vs. The CDC

Auntiemomo

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Some unnamed "anti-cruise group?"  

Yea, that argument will win the support of rational people! (yes, that was sarcasm)

Actually I've seen another thread, carnival board, where the anti cruise group was named. The one who wants to stop cruises because they pollute our oceans and use fossil fuel. It's not a secret who they are. 

Just has nothing to do with covid. Or covid protocols. 

Wish they would come out with news already and tell us when we can resume. 

8 hours ago, Hogbay said:

What they listen to is the squeaky wheels , "Science" is just a opinion of some one with a PHD that wrote a paper that was appraised by their peer's and most have never worked a day in a real world .:classic_rolleyes:

You've obviously never been a scientist. It's not opinion, it's a theory rigorously tested, then out up to their peers to try to pick it apart. Then another group does the same test to see if they can replicate the same results. In retrospective studies, they look at thousands of data points to see if it's coincidence or causality. Without the hard work of scientists, we wouldn't have the space program, computers, medicine, planes, telecommunications or a myriad of other advances. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

I have no issues with "Science" per se, but with regard to COVID, science seems to be the best Guesstimate at the time.  It fluctuates from week to week.  I'm tired of hearing "we need to follow the science."    Pretty soon I'm hoping they will figure it out.  

Since there is no precedent for the scientists to follow, they first have to invent the study model. The reason the information continues to change is that the knowledge about Covid is developing and changing. From a purely scientific standpoint, it's actually fascinating to watch the evolution of the science if Covid in real time as well as the collision of science and society. From a human standpoint, it's maddening and frustrating and downright frightening at times.

• Like 3

Who remembers William Shockley.🤔

Awesome scientist. 😇

For a while.😉

I saw him speak in the early 80's

Screenshot_20200921-003125_Chrome.thumb.jpg.797b04387359d2d1d1d4fb32be7126e9.jpg

I guess he fits in the wackaddodle category I mentioned earlier.

Very sad

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Since there is no precedent for the scientists to follow, they first have to invent the study model. The reason the information continues to change is that the knowledge about Covid is developing and changing. From a purely scientific standpoint, it's actually fascinating to watch the evolution of the science if Covid in real time as well as the collision of science and society. From a human standpoint, it's maddening and frustrating and downright frightening at times.

I find it interesting how scientists are working together and sharing info.

It's also great to see how quickly scientist can work, because it normally takes years to develop an effective vaccine.  

My opinion is that it is outside influence of large investors paying people to negatively affect stock prices. These large investors make a small donation of $500,000 to these "groups". They are asked to post negative commentary on cruising that will negatively affect cruise stock prices. These investors short-sell the cruise line stocks, dropping prices 20-50%. Then they take all of that money in the short sell, invest in lower prices, then pump they price back up 25-50%, sell those profits, and repeat. I am not wealthy, nor will I have the means of such power as these groups. However, I did catch 3 waves of this back in March - May. I nearly doubled my retirement and if the cruise stocks get back near their old levels in 3-5 years, I will be cruising a lot in retirement.

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What is wrong with using science, genetics, to increase the food supply. Honestly curious

There's nothing wrong with using applied science to improve our lives.  This is why we have the standard of living we do.  I think concerns come about over considerations for long term effects either not being thought out or ignored.  Industry has been able to produce a tremendous amount of food, but we're learning more each day that it's quantity without quality is bad for our health and the environment.  So, I've gone off topic. 🙂

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Awesome scientist. 😇

For a while.😉

Screenshot_20200921-003125_Chrome.thumb.jpg.797b04387359d2d1d1d4fb32be7126e9.jpg

Very sad

True, and goes to illustrate the tendency for people to attribute positive virtues to people who manifest some positive characteristic.  He was intelligent, but this does not speak to any other facet of his life.  The is like the fallacy of believing all old people are good or that all doctors are virtuous.  There are good and bad in all demographics.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I've seen another thread, carnival board, where the anti cruise group was named. The one who wants to stop cruises because they pollute our oceans and use fossil fuel. It's not a secret who they are. 

Just has nothing to do with covid. Or covid protocols. 

Wish they would come out with news already and tell us when we can resume. 

I posted a link to the group yesterday but my post was deleted. Link does show in quoted post #2.  Group is Stand dot earth 

10 hours ago, bigrednole said:

My opinion is that it is outside influence of large investors paying people to negatively affect stock prices. 

Kind of funny!  It's mostly those who try to hype the price of a stock to make a quick profit.

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Awesome scientist. 😇

For a while.😉

Very sad

Please tone down the size of your print.

It's not necessary and annoying!

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Very sad

I've met a few scientists, engineers, and academics who are brilliant in their fields but hopeless at just about everything else in life. I guess now there is a term for that (?) but decades ago it was just called being quirky.

39 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Please tone down the size of your print.

It's not necessary and annoying!

Umm, it was a cut and paste. No control over sizing. 

BTW, last time I complained about someones choice of font,  I was reprimanded.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What is wrong with using science, genetics, to increase the food supply. Honestly curious

I support science 100% but not grotesquely growing animals unnaturally to the point they don't live a quality life even if being purposely grown for food. And do we know the long term effects of eating such food? Corn that is resistant to pesticide? Poultry given antibiotics & steroids? There is a lot of great documentaries on Netflix about our food.

And hydroponics is safe, clean and sustainable for greens, tomatoes, strawberries and such. These are the technologies we should employ instead of pumping our food full of antibiotics and steroids.

• Thanks 1

Just now, flyguyjake said:

I support science 100% but not grotesquely growing animals unnaturally to the point they don't live a quality life even if being purposely grown for food. And do we know the long term effects of eating such food? Corn that is resistant to pesticide? Poultry given antibiotics & steroids? There is a lot of great documentaries on Netflix about our food.

And hydroponics is safe, clean and sustainable for greens, tomatoes, strawberries and such. These are the technologies we should employ instead of pumping our food full of antibiotics and steroids.

The industrial food complex is pretty terrible.  But it’s the only to feed such a large population even though it’s wrong.  Look around at all the fast food - that meat/produce might as well be rat poison. 

That’s why I shoot my own or buy animals from local 4H kids to be butchered.