Tumbleweed

Have to admit not been to the pages for sometime, its a year gone now since we were on D2.

I've started to look at cruises for next May onwards hence my post on the no deposit thing. 

I really hope cruise will commence next Spring after Easter.

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

We have been looking as always, I have a bit of a downer on TUI after the refunds debacle so we were thinking Cruise and maritime but they have gone to the wall and we aren’t sure about the bigger lines so it will probably be Marella anyway.🤷‍♂️
Hi Ormy. I am of the same mind as you regarding a vaccine but after today’s corona broadcast it looks like it will be middle of next year before one is ready to be rolled out so it’s a waiting game as it stands.

Stay well people.😉

I look in from time to time but just before the COVID start I had decided to give up flying for a year or two, then Marella stopped UK homeport cruises and my North Cape from Newcastle this summer was cancelled. So it is either P&O or Saga and P&O have already cancelled two cruises. Saga is somewhat expensive 😟

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I look in from time to time but just before the COVID start I had decided to give up flying for a year or two, then Marella stopped UK homeport cruises and my North Cape from Newcastle this summer was cancelled. So it is either P&O or Saga and P&O have already cancelled two cruises. Saga is somewhat expensive 😟

Well there is still Fred Olsen. Also Princess lines are cruising from southampton in 2021.

In answer to the original question.  After I've had the vaccine and things start to stabilise (which won't happen until many other people have been vaccinated), then I will start to look at the cruises on offer. 

Can't  wait to cruise again but don't really think it will be until next September or October. I think we have several more months of this terrible virus.

We have just returned from a lovely self catering holiday in Devon/Cornwall and are seriously considering booking again for next summer. I think we'll wait until others start cruising and we can hear their experiences.

Keep well everyone

I'm with Terry 2 on this. Once things start to stabilise we'll be back on ships and planes. So for next year I've already booked North Devon caravan site late June with 3 caravans for each of our children and their families, then a further week away just on own.

Really missing our cruises but quite happy to wait till a vaccine or treatment  is available.

I have had a look at the website from time to time.  Some of the itineraries are still very similar to the ones we have done several times and the new long haul ones don't have regional flights. 

Looking at Fred from Greenock and Rosyth.  Their  two " new " ships are looking good and we know can rely on Fred for great food and service. 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, Brummijam said:

We haven’t gave any thought to Fred but it will be worth having a look on here and YouTube. Good food and service are as important as itineraries to us.😉

Food on Fred is very good and well presented.  Sadly with Marella the food has gone downhill over the past few years both in quality and quantity, unless you book a speciality restaurant. 

The entertainment on Fred suited us fine.  On Marella we enjoy most of the theatre shows and some of the guest comedians, although some are very repetitive,  but the rest of the entertainment has become very Butlins style.

Was sorry to see CMV go as we had been looking forward to sailing with them to the Baltics from Dundee. 

Hoping Fred or Marella will take up some of these itineraries as there is a demand for no fly cruises from local ports to the Baltics, Iceland, Scandinavia and round the UK and Ireland.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, Brummijam said:

We haven’t gave any thought to Fred but it will be worth having a look on here and YouTube. Good food and service are as important as itineraries to us.😉

Well, I dislike giving recommendations for food and restaurants, as everyone's tastes are different.  However in our opinion the food on Fred is as good (and maybe slightly better) than Marella or P&O, and we've never had any problems with the service.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Another whos not been on for ages

Two cruises booked for next year,one which we moved after it being cancelled in May this year and another which we had booked before Covid

What sailing dates Jim?

early next year or later.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 3:14 PM, Brummijam said:

We have been looking as always, I have a bit of a downer on TUI after the refunds debacle so we were thinking Cruise and maritime but they have gone to the wall and we aren’t sure about the bigger lines so it will probably be Marella anyway.🤷‍♂️
Hi Ormy. I am of the same mind as you regarding a vaccine but after today’s corona broadcast it looks like it will be middle of next year before one is ready to be rolled out so it’s a waiting game as it stands.

Stay well people.😉

This weeks news regarding a potential vaccine has come as a welcome break from the usual depressing offerings of the last nine months. It looks as if the age demographic of the people to get the vaccine before the masses is also the same as the average cruise clientele. (Me included) So will you be looking to book something when the vaccine uptake is finished or will you "wait and see" before  booking?

I am waiting for the deployment of an effective vaccine and may well cancel my next May Norway cruise as I have an identical cruise to Norway booked for September. As for 2022 i will probably make the decision sometime next summer.

I am in group 5 but group 4 from next March so hopefully will be vaccinated by the end of March. 40 million doses have been ordered so at the 'claimed' rate of 1 million injections per week it would take 42 weeks to vaccinate those over 50, starting 1 Dec will mean programme completed 21 August 2021😟

Hi PC and Dave. I see that one of the smaller companies had an effort at restarting cancelled due to COVID cases onboard.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/12/caribbean-cruise-ship-coronavirus-seadream

It does look like it will be more likely towards the end of 2021 before things get back to anything like normal.

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

I am in group 5 but group 4 from next March so hopefully will be vaccinated by the end of March. 40 million doses have been ordered so at the 'claimed' rate of 1 million injections per week it would take 42 weeks to vaccinate those over 50, starting 1 Dec will mean programme completed 21 August 2021

Are you allowing that it needs 2 injections per person?

53 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

News today indicates that cruise lines are cancelling further into 2021

News from where?