The Daily for Monday Sep 21, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui, so sorry about your pots and planters lined up and empty - but !! you would be doing it anyway - we have you and Jose on our calendar to meet up in Vancouver on Saturday!  Fancy that.  All that might have been....

I know, my calendar popped up with a reminder for my flight to Vancouver on Friday 😞 

Sad, but true.  We would have had so much fun in Vancouver 😄 😞 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning everyone.   The cooler weather and talk of changing leaves reminded me of my trip to Iceland last  year.   This is from an excursion out of Isafjordur with West Fjords.   I forget the name of the waterfall, but the colors on the hills were spectacular.  The pictures don't do them justice, but I tried.  

DSC02537 (2).JPG

DSC02536 (2).JPG

DSC02538 (2).JPG

DSC02539.JPG

DSC02541.JPG

Great pictures, Debbie!

At any point on your tour would you have found walking or hiking poles useful?  I am planning an Iceland land tour visit, and am trying to decide whether I might want them, or if they would just take up space. 

Thank you!

• Like 2

Gratitude is a wonderful thing.   I am thankful for this thread just as Rich has created and all those who add to it each day.   I am also very happy for Schitt’s Creek record Emmy haul,  gotta love Canadian humour and the writing and costuming are amazing!  It really has helped people take their mind off tough situations, me included!  I am also grateful for my furnace that is ready to go any day!  And for the wonderful fall colours and trips we have taken.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f6139eecf693354e4755797e6905ecf0.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning everyone.   The cooler weather and talk of changing leaves reminded me of my trip to Iceland last  year.   This is from an excursion out of Isafjordur with West Fjords.   I forget the name of the waterfall, but the colors on the hills were spectacular.  The pictures don't do them justice, but I tried.  

DSC02536 (2).JPG

DSC02538 (2).JPG

We have been reading and enjoying the daily for quite some time, but have not posted before.  Thank you Rich and Roy for all your work on the lists.  It is nice to see where all the ships are, but sad to see the list shrinking with the sale of the four ships.  

Debbie, we were in Iceland in 2017 on the Prinsendam, where we rented a car and drove to the waterfalls.  The tall waterfall is Dynjandi, which means thunderous or resounding.  It is the generic term for all the falls even though lower falls are named too.

Here is a description I found on Google.

"Dynjandi waterfall is the biggest waterfall in the Westfjords and truly deserves to be called the jewel of the Westfjords."

"Dynjandi, or Fjallfoss as it is often called, cascades some 99-100 meters, looking exactly like a beautiful bridal veil. On top, it is 30 meters wide and widens up to 60 meters at the bottom.  There are 6 other waterfalls below Dynjandi."

"The names of the other waterfalls are, from above:

Hæstahjallafoss

Strompgljúfrafoss (Strompur) 

Göngumannafoss

Hrísvaðsfoss-Kvíslarfoss, which are opposite each other 

Hundafoss 

Bæjarfoss (Sjóarfoss)"

That whole area is beautiful and we enjoyed the drive.  When we are in Isafjordur, we always stop at the bakery in town.  They have some of the best pastry.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Great pictures, Debbie!

At any point on your tour would you have found walking or hiking poles useful?  I am planning an Iceland land tour visit, and am trying to decide whether I might want them, or if they would just take up space. 

Thank you!

There is a hiking trail at the falls, and you can hike up to the top of Dynjandi.  From what I read, that is "a bit of a hke" but takes about 15 minutes.  Hiking poles might be useful.  We stopped at one waterfall east of Akureyri where hiking poles could come in handy as the trail passes through an area of large rocks, but the trail is not too bad in most places.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been reading and enjoying the daily for quite some time, but have not posted before.  Thank you Rich and Roy for all your work on the lists.  It is nice to see where all the ships are, but sad to see the list shrinking with the sale of the four ships.  

Debbie, we were in Iceland in 2017 on the Prinsendam, where we rented a car and drove to the waterfalls.  The tall waterfall is Dynjandi, which means thunderous or resounding.  It is the generic term for all the falls even though lower falls are named too.

"Dynjandi waterfall is the biggest waterfall in the Westfjords and truly deserves to be called the jewel of the Westfjords."

"Dynjandi, or Fjallfoss as it is often called, cascades some 99-100 meters, looking exactly like a beautiful bridal veil. On top, it is 30 meters wide and widens up to 60 meters at the bottom.  There are 6 other waterfalls below Dynjandi."

Hæstahjallafoss

Göngumannafoss

Hundafoss 

Bæjarfoss (Sjóarfoss)"

That whole area is beautiful and we enjoyed the drive.  When we are in Isafjordur, we always stop at the bakery in town.  They have some of the best pastry.

Thank you for posting! Hope to see you often!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

There is a hiking trail at the falls, and you can hike up to the top of Dynjandi.  From what I read, that is "a bit of a hke" but takes about 15 minutes.  Hiking poles might be useful.  We stopped at one waterfall east of Akureyri where hiking poles could come in handy as the trail passes through an area of large rocks, but the trail is not too bad in most places.

Thank you! The poles are lightweight and collapsible, but they take up room.  But I guess I would rather have them, and not need them - than the opposite. 

And thank you for the tip on the bakery!😉

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you! The poles are lightweight and collapsible, but they take up room.  But I guess I would rather have them, and not need them - than the opposite. 

And thank you for the tip on the bakery!😉

Your welcome.  DH took poles with him on our cruise last summer, not  in Iceland, but the Med, and did use them some.  

You can't miss the bakery as there is one of their old delivery trucks outside.

Isafiordur Bakery.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Gratitude is a wonderful thing.   I am thankful for this thread just as Rich has created and all those who add to it each day.   I am also very happy for Schitt’s Creek record Emmy haul,  gotta love Canadian humour......................

Always liked "Corner Gas" Still got the DVD series, very funny!

Amazon Prime Video to Stream Popular Canadian Sitcom 'Corner Gas'  (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Your welcome.  DH took poles with him on our cruise last summer, not  in Iceland, but the Med, and did use them some.  

Isafiordur Bakery.JPG

How cool. And a great landmark!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Great pictures, Debbie!

Thank you!

I did have hiking poles on this trip.   They collapse and don't take up that much space in the suitcase.  And, they are very lightweight.   I found them very helpful.   I have back issues and without them I wouldn't have been able to get very far.   I used them every place we went in Iceland.   

I was also doing acupuncture for my back issues and found by the  end of the trip I didn't need the poles as much.  I will say that the poles are much cheaper than the acupuncture.   This year my insurance will cover 12 acupuncture sessions for chronic lower back pain.  I may start up again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Dynjandi it is!   I remember it started with Dyn but couldn't remember the rest and couldn't find where I had written it down.  Maybe someday I'll get organized.  

• Like 2

Just now, dfish said:

I did have hiking poles on this trip.   They collapse and don't take up that much space in the suitcase.  And, they are very lightweight.   I found them very helpful.   I have back issues and without them I wouldn't have been able to get very far.   I used them every place we went in Iceland.   

I was also doing acupuncture for my back issues and found by the  end of the trip I didn't need the poles as much.  I will say that the poles are much cheaper than the acupuncture.   This year my insurance will cover 12 acupuncture sessions for chronic lower back pain.  I may start up again.

Thank you for circling back Debbie, I will add them to my packing list.

I know I never thought I would need them in Hawaii, but luckily our guide had some we could use, when we visited a lava tube on the Big Island. Otherwise I might have gone down the steepest, roughest part on my rear.😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Hæstahjallafoss

Göngumannafoss

Hundafoss 

Bæjarfoss (Sjóarfoss)"

Oh, do I remember that bakery!!!!

Susan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Not me.

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Isafiordur Bakery.JPG

Got a similar one but Dutch  😉 

HAL 49-BZ-ZP.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I was just thinking--it was exactly 6 months ago today that I got home from Perth.   It's been a LONG time since I've slept in the same bed for so long.

Roy

🌺Roy, I so miss your writings!!!As you know I follow you in all your journeys! I remember so well your last cruise!  I miss them😞

Thank you for all the years you contributed 

to CC with your writings! I appreciate you!

Remember you are the one who helped David and I expand to other cruise lines to be able to continue on cruises instead of just  one journey! Thank you for that !

Denise😊

PS I am late because we are remodeling again our kitchen! So I am not able to get on the board as I want!

Take care Roy!

Denise😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Roy, I so miss your writings!!!As you know I follow you in all your journeys! I remember so well your last cruise!  I miss them😞

Thank you for all the years you contributed 

to CC with your writings! I appreciate you!

Remember you are the one who helped David and I expand to other cruise lines to be able to continue on cruises instead of just  one journey! Thank you for that !

Denise😊

PS I am late because we are remodeling again our kitchen! So I am not able to get on the board as I want!

Take care Roy!

Denise😊

Hi, Sis! Saw your post about the wine. Imagine what we would pay for it on a Dam ship! Good luck with your renovation.❤️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, cat shepard said:

Hi, Sis! Saw your post about the wine. Imagine what we would pay for it on a Dam ship! Good luck with your renovation.❤️

Oh Ann love you!! I am alittle stressed! Stupid I know but having My house opened up so early in the morning sucks!!!

I know on the wine Ann!! 3 to 4 times the price!!  Little Paisley is back at work with Shawn! Took her there today! Come home and too much racket!! Want night time to come to have cocktails outside and no one working in our kitchen!

geeze 😞

Denise

image.jpeg.1ef9415794b443f307b05445960932f4.jpeg

• Like 5