The Daily for Tuesday Sep 22, 2020

richwmn

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

How's the left arm, Father

Roy

I have to be careful Roy.   I am still healing.  I am not suppose to raise the arm up for a month.  Being lefthanded, this makes for intersting times.  I go to the Surgeon tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui, yes we have lots of deer. Do you think they will walk up our front porch?

They do here.  They actually walked right up onto our porch and ate all my begonias one year.  The next year, we had a fence 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks to all the Dailyites.

One of my favorite cruise quotes is  "Is Sitting on deck with a drink and a book doing something or doing nothing?"

I would gladly be sailing on any of those ships today to any of those great ports doing something or nothing. 

Prayers and Cheers to women, elephants and especially Hobbits!  

Stay safe everyone.

Cindy

• Like 8

Good morning Dailyites and thank you Rich for the update.

Thank you Roy @rafinmd  for the care list and lovely cruise pics you post.

That wine sounds so good @cat shepard

Love the elephant collection @superoma

Envious of your cranes @summer slope

Elephant Appreciation Day. 

Fun fact. Did you know there is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee? Indeed there is. These past 25 years the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee has been located on several hundred acres outside a small berg called Hohenwald and apparently Tennessee's climate is good for elephants. They have the "Elecam" so you can see the ladies (as all but one are female) interacting. They have African and Indian elephants and have provided a comfortable communal forever home for dozens of ex circus and zoo elephants. It is purely for the elephants, no visitors but they do have an elephant education center in town. https://www.elephants.com/

Dh was off to the physical therapist this am. Awaiting his return. He has been dealing with vertigo for the past few months. Apparently there is a procedure physical therapist can do called the Epley maneuver that can possibly fix this kind of vertigo, though it will probably make him very nauseous at the time. Fingers crossed as he has been periodically pretty miserable this summer.

The last of the summer is here and fall temps are tempting. Keeping windows and door open all day and into the evening is one of those pleasant perks of Tennessee this time of year. Fresh air and sunshine, though we have had our share (and probably a few others folks' share) of rain these past few months. It will make however for what will probably be spendiferous fall colors this year. Now if all those maple leaves raked themselves, life would be perfect.

Here are a few pictures of the last hurrah of summer, my morning glories which this time of year cover every vertical surface in my backyard that will stand still long enough for them to grow. They self sow now as I have had them for so long. The pinks go purple sometimes too which is very pretty. I have a new visitor this year as well.. a happy accident as Bob Ross would say. A small orange morning glory, apparently they grow wild here, has completely covered one of my bird feeder stands. The Cardinals are not pleased but oh well, I have 4 other feeders. It has overgrown everywhere near it but the tiny flowers are lovely and God put it there so I'll leave it.

IMG_20200921_095818192.jpg

IMG_20200921_100504789.jpg

IMG_20200921_095912593.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Fun fact. Did you know there is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee? Indeed there is. These past 25 years the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee has been located on several hundred acres outside a small berg called Hohenwald and apparently Tennessee's climate is good for elephants. They have the "Elecam" so you can see the ladies (as all but one are female) interacting. They have African and Indian elephants and have provided a comfortable communal forever home for dozens of ex circus and zoo elephants. It is purely for the elephants, no visitors but they do have an elephant education center in town. https://www.elephants.com/

Dh was off to the physical therapist this am. Awaiting his return. He has been dealing with vertigo for the past few months. Apparently there is a procedure physical therapist can do called the Epley maneuver that can possibly fix this kind of vertigo, though it will probably make him very nauseous at the time. Fingers crossed as he has been periodically pretty miserable this summer.

The last of the summer is here and fall temps are tempting. Keeping windows and door open all day and into the evening is one of those pleasant perks of Tennessee this time of year. Fresh air and sunshine, though we have had our share (and probably a few others folks' share) of rain these past few months. It will make however for what will probably be spendiferous fall colors this year. Now if all those maple leaves raked themselves, life would be perfect.

Here are a few pictures of the last hurrah of summer, my morning glories which this time of year cover every vertical surface in my backyard that will stand still long enough for them to grow. They self sow now as I have had them for so long. The pinks go purple sometimes too which is very pretty. I have a new visitor this year as well.. a happy accident as Bob Ross would say. A small orange morning glory, apparently they grow wild here, has completely covered one of my bird feeder stands. The Cardinals are not pleased but oh well, I have 4 other feeders. It has overgrown everywhere near it but the tiny flowers are lovely and God put it there so I'll leave it.

Great to see you!  Hope all goes well with DH’s procedure. Beautiful flowers. I have never seen an Orange morning glory. How cool!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Great to see you!  Hope all goes well with DH’s procedure. Beautiful flowers. I have never seen an Orange morning glory. How cool!

He actually got home a couple minutes ago, right after I posted. Doing good. Famished however as he didn't eat for obvious reasons this am. Really hoping this works. They said to come in for one more treatment in a few days. I don't pretend to understand what it does but apparently it realigns those little crystals in your inner ears that help control balance.

I too had never seen that pretty little orange morning glory but knew it was one right away because of the leaf shape and foliage. Such a happy little surprise. I kind of let the morning glories go wild this time of year as they will be gone as soon as the frost comes. It makes for a more messy garden space but by this time the tomatoes and peppers have gone leggy on me despite still producing like mad this year. My Anaheim chilis have given me a bumper crop. The cherry tomatoes give me fresh every day and we just eat them off the vine they are so sweet. But the annuals are looking sad. Almost time for the great garden clean up and stow away of all the pots and planters.

• Like 6

As a Floridian, we wish our friends well in Nova Scotia facing the storm.

As for the Oosterdam moving slowly, Yogi Berra would say: "she is lost, but making good time"

As for Princess Cruises, it has been confirmed that the Sea and Sun Princess have been sold.  For comparison, they are a little larger than Rotterdam/Amsterdam at 77,500 tons vs 63,000 and are a little older, 1995 and 1998.  I'm still shocked that we lost the Amsterdam as she was the newest of the R class and the only with azipods.

• Like 5

I have a small "collection" of elephants, if three can be called a collection.  On is an inlaid marble elephant that we got in Agra when we purchased an inlaid marble table.  Interestingly, the gentleman who gave us the elephant said to always have it facing an outside door for good luck.  I don't know if that is true, but just in case, they are all facing the patio door.  

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 6

Good morning all! 

"Elephant Appreciation Day" made me think of my adventurous niece Laura and her husband Chuck.  Here's a photo of elephants from their African safari last year.  There's also one of her riding an elephant in Asia, but I can't find that one.

We always loved seeing the elephants at the Seattle zoo -- unfortunately we don't have any now 😞  

Since we can't spend money on cruises, our house is getting extra attention this year lol.  The latest is new insulation this week up and down, plus a few other things.  At least it doesn't involve any living areas this time.  When they're done today I have pears to can.  A good rainy-day activity.

Elephants.jpg

• Like 9

Good morning!  love elephants, had a rope out our backdoor when I was a young girl, waiting for one to walk by!  

@fatcat04  hope it works,  it did for my mother. Love the morning glories!

@kazu hope you stay safe and your plants survive.  Are you feeling any better?

@DeeniEncinitaslived through a major Reno when we had an ice dam cause major leaks.  Six months with a zipper into our living room,  and the worst part was always having workers and having to move out at one point.  Hope it is quick! 

Memories on this date

image.thumb.jpeg.96bb0367b9eb0f2b10d4606ae5b32cc4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bennybear said:

hope you stay safe and your plants survive.  Are you feeling any better?

Thanks Brenda for asking.  

I am doing much better now.  Just some burning and itching (and no, I will not scratch 😉 ) Two more days of meds so hopefully it the symptoms will dissipate quickly 🤞 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, tamsno said:

Good morning and thanks to all the Dailyites.

One of my favorite cruise quotes is  "Is Sitting on deck with a drink and a book doing something or doing nothing?"

I would gladly be sailing on any of those ships today to any of those great ports doing something or nothing. 

Prayers and Cheers to women, elephants and especially Hobbits!  

Stay safe everyone.

Cindy

Cindy, one of my cruise buddies used to tell me how much he loved a cruise, because you get to just sit around and do nothing, and when you are finished, you get to rest!  Those were the days.

Stay kind everyone.  Prayers and cheers all around.

Cindy

• Like 6

3 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

The Epley does work!!! I've had it done & if the vertigo comes back your DH should be able to do it himself.

• Like 2

Good afternoon to everyone on the Daily thread. Thanks to Rich (why is the Zaandam in a shipyard?) and Roy (prayers for all on your list). Interesting set of days. Can you imagine a Business Womens Day a few short decades ago? My sister loved Elephants and I think that we can all appreciate their brilliance, their loyalty and their love of family.  Happy Hobbit Day, too!

I'm sure that I have taken myself too seriously on occasion.

6 hours ago, kazu said:

A8F5A49B-AA74-4AEF-ACD9-E034064E8D09.thumb.jpeg.aec536678592bee0ba0a9fca45b8f113.jpeg

8CC999A1-601B-4CE7-AA8A-3BEB8C75715C.thumb.jpeg.74dd99000b7f749721664d4a50f88ec4.jpeg

I'm glad to see that this should be out of the way later this week in Newfoundland.  DD goes out on the boat for water samples the first week in October. Glad to hear that you are feeling not too bad with the shingles.

5 hours ago, superoma said:

We love walleye but know it by its other name, pickerel, specifically yellow pickerel. My BIL does an excellent fish fry with perch and pickerel.

I never knew that! Love pickerel (and perch!) My dad used to fish for pickerel but I've heard of family fishing for walleye an hour and a half down the road.

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Not deer but our sandhill cranes walking up our walk. 

93571E2E-6F8F-48CE-A829-CC08BFB07038.jpeg

Love this!

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm pretty sure I'd like the drink of the day, so I'll make a couple of batches just to be sure. 

I like your thinking. It's important to KNOW what we like, right?

3 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

. . . Dh was off to the physical therapist this am. Awaiting his return. He has been dealing with vertigo for the past few months. Apparently there is a procedure physical therapist can do called the Epley maneuver that can possibly fix this kind of vertigo, though it will probably make him very nauseous at the time. Fingers crossed as he has been periodically pretty miserable this summer.

. . .Now if all those maple leaves raked themselves, life would be perfect.

I'm hoping that your DH has positive experience with the PT, and a lessened vertigo. That's a tough one for people. I'm with you on the leaves raking themselves. We'll often use our mulch lawnmower on them. Last year we were away throughout October, so ended up having to rake them before the snow flew. Your morning glories are beautiful!

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Since we aren’t sailing I will share a sunset from here as it reflects off the river.  Thanks everyone. 

E07650A9-B010-4D43-BD67-10A1C5CEB6C9.jpeg

Wow! The sunrise earlier was spectacular, and this one is too!

Sending prayers for those who need them, gratitude for this thread, and hope for our countries as they combat the coronavirus.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Zaandam appears to be at shipyard..........................

Yes Sir, Zaandam is at the Damen-Verolme BV shipyard in Rotterdam-Botlek, She was originally scheduled from 07 through 20 April of this year at the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport for standard maintenance which was cancelled due to the pandemic. It appears an opening was found at the Dutch shipyard instead to get her ready for a return to cruising. Positive news! 

keppelverolme.png

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes Sir, Zaandam is at the Damen-Verolme BV shipyard in Rotterdam-Botlek, She was originally scheduled from 07 through 20 April of this year at the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport for standard maintenance which was cancelled due to the pandemic. It appears an opening was found at the Dutch shipyard instead to get her ready for a return to cruising. Positive news! 

keppelverolme.png

Is Volendam also due?

Roy

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Is Volendam also due?

Roy

Nope; she went "under the knife" in October 2019. Amsterdam was due this year (May) but we no longer have to worry about her no more 😞 Noordam and Eurodam are due in Nov/Dec this year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

The Epley does work!!! I've had it done & if the vertigo comes back your DH should be able to do it himself.

Excellent!! That is good to know. It really was the strangest thing how it kind of hit him from nowhere. He simply can not move his head to the left and back or lean his head back without the world spinning.

He did well this am but said before he left for afternoon meetings that he was still a bit off kilter, which the physical therapist said would probably be the case for a couple days and to take it easy. I am glad she said that. He does weight lifting as hobby, exercise, and amateur sport. He goes to a strong man gym (yes, think side show, leopard skin leotard, giant dumb bell strong men) where they do the "car dead lift" for fun. He deadlifted the back end of his Infiniti 3 times last weekend (and his face turned a very unique shade of maroon in the process, this has to be a man thing) and the physical therapist said "no lifting cars for a few days!!" LOL!!

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Nothing like elephants in the wild:

IMG_0030.JPG.345be6f835d5cb1f283d31b84e8e03a6.JPG

Roy

Good afternoon, all!

I love the picture! We were supposed to go on safari from the 2020 GWV and see herds of wild elephants in April. But, the best laid plans of mice and men (and elephants), you know. Oh well, that’s something I still have to look forward too!

• Like 4