RCCL not doing themselves any favors....

spunks

We were going to book 3 cruises for OCT 2021, but we discovered that even the "refundable" rates are not totally refundable. All have cancelation fees in addition to the higher price. With that in mind we will just wait until this summer to book.I would have thought that an industry that is screaming for any revenue they could get these days would have at least stayed with old policies to help that revenue stream. I would think that now is a very bad time to introduce non refundable rates.

Doug

23 minutes ago, spunks said:

We were going to book 3 cruises for OCT 2021, but we discovered that even the "refundable" rates are not totally refundable. All have cancelation fees in addition to the higher price. With that in mind we will just wait until this summer to book.I would have thought that an industry that is screaming for any revenue they could get these days would have at least stayed with old policies to help that revenue stream. I would think that now is a very bad time to introduce non refundable rates.

Doug

Refundable deposits do cost more but should be totally refundable, except for suites. 

What costs do you mean you see with refundable?  Are you using a TA who has fees? I'm not aware of any. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChC said:

I bet the OP thought he can cancel the refundable cruise anytime he wants until he read the fine print that the cruise would require cancellation charges at 60/45/30/7 days (for example) before sailing.

Refundable fares are totally refundable until the cut off time defined in cruise contract. I know in certain market there are fees associate to cancellation if your cancellation pass the certain days before cruise. I suspect OP lives in one of those markets.

OP is from Texas 

1 hour ago, spunks said:

Doug

Please elaborate on the "new" cancellation fee policies that are different than the "old" cancellation policies for refundable fares.

It would seem that many are surprised by this purported change in policy.

1 hour ago, spunks said:

we never ever book with a TA. Always direct with RCCL. 

Doug

Cwc if you book before sept 30, 2020 and something comes up says you can move it within 48 hours, though of course I wouldnt cut it that close, but I would book it now while you still will get more options. 

1 minute ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

I’m still confused about having to book through a TA for a refundable cruise.

You dont have to book with a ta to get refundable. I've heard if you click all the way thru you should get to refundable option, but lately doesnt work, you might have to call if you are booking direct. 

Imo rcl site just doesnt work very well

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spunks said:

Doug

1. Waiting to book next summer you will almost definitely pay more 

2. There aren’t any “new policies” regarding refundable fares. Have always been and continue to be 100% refundable up

to date of final payment 

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Cwc if you book before sept 30, 2020 and something comes up says you can move it within 48 hours, though of course I wouldnt cut it that close, but I would book it now while you still will get more options. 

oh, we will book them now.....we always do. Heck, we already have 12 booked. 

Doug

Red faced, I admit to being incorrect here. I completely miss understood what my wife told me.Everyone is correct that when booking direct with RCCL, all refundable bookings are completely refunded if cancelled within the time frames they state.

I will now go eat worms.

Doug

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, spunks said:

Red faced, I admit to being incorrect here. I completely miss understood what my wife told me.Everyone is correct that when booking direct with RCCL, all refundable bookings are completely refunded if cancelled within the time frames they state.

I will now go eat worms.

Doug

Kudos to you for posting with this update - we all make mistakes! 

How were the worms? 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, spunks said:

oh, we will book them now.....we always do. Heck, we already have 12 booked. 

Doug

Before you book anything more for 2021,  check whether one or more of your 12 booked cruises has been cancelled - due to yesterday’s announcement about changes to the summer  (roughly April-October) 2021 cruises.  

49 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Before you book anything more for 2021,  check whether one or more of your 12 booked cruises has been cancelled - due to yesterday’s announcement about changes to the summer  (roughly April-October) 2021 cruises.  

Just a funny thought....if a person books 12 cruises in 2021, I really don't think they care that much if a cruise is changed, or canceled etc......Pretty sure they will just go with the flow.  I only book two, and so far in 2021, I have had a slight change in the one cruise and all I did was shrug my shoulders, updated my vacation schedule in the office, and collected $300 for the change

18 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just a funny thought....if a person books 12 cruises in 2021, I really don't think they care that much if a cruise is changed, or canceled etc......Pretty sure they will just go with the flow.  I only book two, and so far in 2021, I have had a slight change in the one cruise and all I did was shrug my shoulders, updated my vacation schedule in the office, and collected $300 for the change

Perhaps a change or cancellation is no big deal to a Floridian who mostly cruises out of Florida ports.  However, a lot of people affected by the schedule changes were booked on cruises in Europe -  and one of my friends had 4 Europe cruises cancelled yesterday on Adventure and Jewel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1