Loss of small ships a loss for Port of Tampa

jimdalva

23 hours ago, jimdalva said:

I have heard of so many small to mid size ships going to the Breakers, that I fear for Port Of Tampa. The world is running out of ships that fit under the Skyway Bridge.

It's my understanding that there has been discussion for years about building a cruise terminal in a location that avoids ships needing to sail under that Bridge.  Maybe the results of the pandemic on the cruise industry might create increased interest in doing so?  If, of course, the Port of Tampa still wants the cruise ship business in the future.  What are your thoughts?

On 9/23/2020 at 4:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

It's my understanding that there has been discussion for years about building a cruise terminal in a location that avoids ships needing to sail under that Bridge.  Maybe the results of the pandemic on the cruise industry might create increased interest in doing so?  If, of course, the Port of Tampa still wants the cruise ship business in the future.  What are your thoughts?

Have the same problem here in Baltimore but with two bridges to sail though. Either they may have to start building some small or mid size ships, build terminals outside of the bridge or cancel places like Tampa or Baltimore. You can't do anything about ships getting old.

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

The big question, other than money to build, is, where? There really doesn't seem to be a viable location for a cruise facility outside the bay. Also, it would no longer be in Tampa so I doubt the city would be interested in contributing much toward funding a terminal elsewhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

The big question, other than money to build, is, where? There really doesn't seem to be a viable location for a cruise facility outside the bay. Also, it would no longer be in Tampa so I doubt the city would be interested in contributing much toward funding a terminal elsewhere.

When I look at a map of your area in the past, I have wondered the same thing.  

In Ohio, there is an agency that has been created that I recall that has some influence over a much larger area than an individual city/county/etc.  Maybe some type of "port authority" might be created--if there was interest and the funding available to do so--to create a new port.  

The Port Tampa Bay is a huge county authority, with land on many coasts of Hillsborough Bay. The cruise terminal area is in the northern most section of the Port, which keeps travelers and export / import trucks or trains separate. The cruise terminals are conveniently located for guests spending the nights before and after in hotels.

The area west of the Skyway bridge is in Pinellas County (north side) and Manatee County (south side).  Whether these counties have an interest in hosting a cruise port outside the bridge, or have space is not clear to me

For what it's worth,  perhaps a larger ship with a collapsible stack and masts could get the under the bridge. The clearance is about 180 feet, which is considered low by cruise ship standards.  More important, it's very low by modern container ship standards. The Bayonne Bridge in NJ was raised from 180 feet to 215 feet, specifically for the new generation of container ships.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Cienfuegos said:

The Port Tampa Bay is a huge county authority, with land on many coasts of Hillsborough Bay. The cruise terminal area is in the northern most section of the Port, which keeps travelers and export / import trucks or trains separate. The cruise terminals are conveniently located for guests spending the nights before and after in hotels.

The area west of the Skyway bridge is in Pinellas County (north side) and Manatee County (south side).  Whether these counties have an interest in hosting a cruise port outside the bridge, or have space is not clear to me

For what it's worth,  perhaps a larger ship with a collapsible stack and masts could get the under the bridge. The clearance is about 180 feet, which is considered low by cruise ship standards.  More important, it's very low by modern container ship standards. The Bayonne Bridge in NJ was raised from 180 feet to 215 feet, specifically for the new generation of container ships.

I’ve heard that rumor as well but it has several problems. First it’s 30-45 minutes to the airport which is a major problem. Second, if the current ships are roughly 100k tons, why can’t they build a ship a little wider and longer but same height at 125k to 150k tons? My guess is they will all be gone from Tampa and Baltimore in 15-20 years as these mega ships at 200k tons are becoming more popular. Sad but bigger ships are more profitable for the cruise lines and to expensive to build a port and roadway system for 1 or 2 cruise lines

Edited by steve20832

I live in the Tampa area roughly 30 minutes from the Port of Tampa. Over the last decade or so, there has been a lot of discussion locally about the future of the cruise industry in this area. The ideas that have been discussed multiple times include modifying the Skyway Bridge, building a new bridge, building a tunnel, or building a new terminal in either Pinellas  County or Manatee County.

I only know what I have read and heard from media sources, so I am far from knowledgeable on this issue. I always got the impression from various reports that this was viewed as future problem years down the road. However, like you mentioned, I think the future just got a lot closer due to this pandemic. 

My guess is Tampa will continue to be viable for at least another handful of years if not longer, since there are still a good number of ships out there that fit under the Skyway Bridge. But I can envision a day in the future when cruise ships no longer sail from this area. Personally it won’t really impact me. We cruise frequently, but we rarely cruise out of Tampa. We mainly cruise out of Port Miami and Port Canaveral. 

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My guess is Tampa will continue to be viable for at least another handful of years if not longer, since there are still a good number of ships out there that fit under the Skyway Bridge. But I can envision a day in the future when cruise ships no longer sail from this area. 

I appreciate your response.  Thanks.  I have yet to sail from Tampa, but I hope I will have an opportunity to do so.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I live in the Tampa area roughly 30 minutes from the Port of Tampa. Over the last decade or so, there has been a lot of discussion locally about the future of the cruise industry in this area. The ideas that have been discussed multiple times include modifying the Skyway Bridge, building a new bridge, building a tunnel, or building a new terminal in either Pinellas  County or Manatee County.

I only know what I have read and heard from media sources, so I am far from knowledgeable on this issue. I always got the impression from various reports that this was viewed as future problem years down the road. However, like you mentioned, I think the future just got a lot closer due to this pandemic. 

My guess is Tampa will continue to be viable for at least another handful of years if not longer, since there are still a good number of ships out there that fit under the Skyway Bridge. But I can envision a day in the future when cruise ships no longer sail from this area. Personally it won’t really impact me. We cruise frequently, but we rarely cruise out of Tampa. We mainly cruise out of Port Miami and Port Canaveral. 

From what you have read most recently, how confident are you that cruises will start up from Port of Tampa in January? Several months ago I remember hearing something about cruises not starting there until March or April. 

7 minutes ago, cellfree said:

From what you have read most recently, how confident are you that cruises will start up from Port of Tampa in January? Several months ago I remember hearing something about cruises not starting there until March or April. 

The last I heard was a news report on one of the local stations that said the port was looking for cruise ships to resume sailing in April. But that was at least a month guy and obviously before the recent decisions by the CDC. 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The last I heard was a news report on one of the local stations that said the port was looking for cruise ships to resume sailing in April. But that was at least a month guy and obviously before the recent decisions by the CDC. 

Ty for quick response - April - wow - I have a Carnival booked mid January which I really don’t expect to be a go as Carnival is limiting ships and ports and I would just rebook something and get the generous OBC they have offered so far - and a Royal booked in March which I would like to happen - not really Royal cruisers as we now cruise between Carnival and MSC and have a great status on both but were given a couple gift certificates for Royal so booked a March cruise out of Tampa and hope I do not have to deal with refunds/rebooking of that cruise -  well TMI right - anyway perhaps as you suggested Friday’s CDC might affect Tampa’s decision. 

11 hours ago, cellfree said:

Based upon the latest from CDC and the testing and trial cruises the lines will need to do to prove their safety processes and protocols, I would be  amazed if cruises started up before next spring or summer - and would bet $$ that it will be later than that for most of us.  I'm afraid that this old sea dog will not cruise again until '22 or later. 😢

Right, the CDC has been busy making "lists" that involve a lot of detailed work and follow-up, the trouble is time is passing us old sea dogs by, who would ever imagined this scenerio, a day at a time, thankful for our health, still like to anticipate a cruise.

where would cruises from Tampa (and Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, etc) sail to?  Cozumel has been rated Level 3 (Avoid non-essential travel) by the US centers for Disease Control.

Jamaica has an outbreak of dengue fever on top of a serious Covid problem.  Other islands are working to resolve their infection rates, so 3,000 to 5,000 fresh visitors might not be welcome right now.

I hope things will get better over the next few months, but hope isn't always a reliable strategy

8 hours ago, JohninDC said:

I'm afraid that this old sea dog will not cruise again until '22 or later. 😢

Never thought of myself as being an "old sea dog", however, I share your concern.  I would add to "or later"....if ever again.  

There are powerful economic reasons for various nations to cooperate in working out a solution.  The cruise business is an enormous  driver in south Florida, and some islands are geared to the cruise / tourist business.

The cash burn is a huge problem for the big cruise lines, and the cash deficit is likely a huge problem for some islands

• Like 1