Maybe good news for the future of cruising?

cruiseypop

24 minutes ago, cruiseypop said:

Why are you waiting for responses here?  Why would Princess use this forum as official response to your questions?

If you have questions for Princess call them up directly on the telephone and ask them.  And if they don't know at the moment, trust that "they don't know at the moment" and wait.  I'm sorry you have to wait to find out.  I'm sorry that so much is up in the air.  Coronavirus be damned. 

But, if there is one thing I am sure of, is that Princess as a business will figure out how to handle your issue as a business when the time comes and I am fairly certain their rules will be their rules whether you like it or not.

Yes, you are right; however, talking to someone on the phone with Princess you get someone different each time and thus a different answer.  How can you believe it?  I will have to wait for it to be in print, but at least I know to look for it.  We always got to Walgreens to get whatever we are running out of.  

9 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Yes, you are right; however, talking to someone on the phone with Princess you get someone different each time and thus a different answer.  How can you believe it?  I will have to wait for it to be in print, but at least I know to look for it.  We always got to Walgreens to get whatever we are running out of.  

Yes, I agree in print is best.  Often times when I've called they were simply reading it from the website.  And if they have the link they can send it to you.  I think it's safe to say (sadly) that if it's not in print, then they don't know at the current time, but will know later.

I've also found that it depends on who your conversing with.  The worst is a lower end reservation agent that simply wants to book a reservation for you.

This group has solid contact information for Princess:  https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/

The email address is not published in their website and is answer with solid replies.  I have emailed them several times and Princess was always spot on with the answer even if they asked me to check their website later for details.

Edited by cruiseypop

43 minutes ago, cruiseypop said:

Yes, I agree in print is best.  Often times when I've called they were simply reading it from the website.  And if they have the link they can send it to you.  I think it's safe to say (sadly) that if it's not in print, then they don't know at the current time, but will know later.

I've also found that it depends on who your conversing with.  The worst is a lower end reservation agent that simply wants to book a reservation for you.

This group has solid contact information for Princess:  https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/

The email address is not published in their website and is answer with solid replies.  I have emailed them several times and Princess was always spot on with the answer even if they asked me to check their website later for details.

Thank you for your help.  As I am sure many others on the site also thank you for the information.  

I think we are all anxious about vacation.  We all want to go so much and love it; however, we know there are many unknowns which are beyond our control.  The only option is not to cruise.  I truly am hoping by early 2022, all will be good.

1 hour ago, cruiseypop said:

Why are you waiting for responses here?  Why would Princess use this forum as official response to your questions?

If you have questions for Princess call them up directly on the telephone and ask them.  And if they don't know at the moment, trust that "they don't know at the moment" and wait.  I'm sorry you have to wait to find out.  I'm sorry that so much is up in the air.  Coronavirus be damned. 

But, if there is one thing I am sure of, is that Princess as a business will figure out how to handle your issue as a business when the time comes and I am fairly certain their rules will be their rules whether you like it or not.

The problem with calling Princess is you could get 10 different answers to the same question. BTW, I don’t rely on CC for official Information.  .  The purpose of my post was just general curiosity, nothing more.....🙄🙄🙄

Bob

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wouldn't be so sure that a vaccine would mean you could start cruising tomorrow.

The good Dr. Fauci stated in the last few days that even if we get a vaccine this  year, we'll still need to be following all these protocols (Mask, social distancing, etc.) until late 2021.

Personally, I think the good Dr. will be surprised at the public response to requiring these protocols months after a vaccine is available.  

He may not be surprised by the public response, but until there is herd immunity from a combination of those who have the vaccine and those who recovered from Covid-19,  a mask, social distancing, etc. will still be the best way to stop the spread.

If the public refuses to follow these protocols, then more will needlessly die from Covid-19.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:42 AM, muffydawg said:

These published aspirational goals will no doubt be comforting to some potential passengers. I'm curious how they plan to deal with the legal liability of requiring US passengers, as a condition of passage / boarding at US ports, to contract away their right to informed consent. 

They own the ships - they make the rules.  If you don 't like their rules - don't cruise.  BTW - you sign away most of your rights when you electronically sign your cruise contract anyway.  Have you ever carefully read it?

DON

• Like 2

I was shocked how much I loved watching a few Princess videos it. Totally my kind of food! Seriously we're going to book since our TA is cancelled! The refund thing is the last piece and I'm definitely ready for whatever changes they need to do!

I never know how many people will get references like - “I don’t hate you; I just don’t care anymore.”  After all Love Boat hasn't been on for quite some time - but that more people will remember HERE!

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

They own the ships - they make the rules.  If you don 't like their rules - don't cruise.  BTW - you sign away most of your rights when you electronically sign your cruise contract anyway.  Have you ever carefully read it?

DON

They make SOME of the rules. It looks like some others will be made by the CDC.

12 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I never know how many people will get references like - “I don’t hate you; I just don’t care anymore.”  After all Love Boat hasn't been on for quite some time - but that more people will remember HERE!

If you have a station showing METV in your area, it is on every Sunday at 6 PM.

Go to https://metv.com/wheretowatch/affiliate/659 and enter your ZIP code to find a station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

Go to https://metv.com/wheretowatch/affiliate/659 and enter your ZIP code to find a station.

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

We have METV. I watch Perry Mason. I did not realize they have Love Boat.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, ontheweb said:

They make SOME of the rules. It looks like some others will be made by the CDC.

and , of course, the Ports also have 'rules and restrictions' on re-openings - that's the wildcard in all of this

say the ships get the all clear and the no-sail is lifted ... does that mean the Ports ( PE, SF, LA, Vancouver , etc, etc, etc ) will be waiting with open arms ??  glass still half full 🥃

does anyone think NY and FL are ready to open back up the cruise ports to 1000's of daily 'cruisers' 🏁

rapid testing ( 15 minutes ) in my opinion is the key even more that a vaccine - and we all should know by now about false-positives and false-negatives 🦄

sunday ramblings

#so-over-this

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 2

The current CDC no sail order expires this Wednesday, September 30.  On Wednesday, we will find out if the no sail order is extended or is lifted by the CDC and cruises can resume at U.S. Ports. 

What I don't know is if does resume then does each port have the option to suspend or resume?  I've read that Florida ports want to resume, but not sure if all ports want that or not.  I suppose it's possible west coast or new england ports would remain closed even though the CDC has lifted the no sail order?

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/

Edited by cruiseypop
added link

The cruise industry cannot operate if ships just bop back and forth between Port Everglades/Port Canaveral/Miami and the cruise lines' own private beach.  The "OK to sail" announcement must still coincide with other countries' decisions to allow 15k-25k people per day to descend on their shores.  It is one thing for a single Princess ship to anchor off of Eleuthera.  It is  something else entirely for Phillipsburg to welcome 5 or 6 ships on a Tuesday.  I don't think the news from Greece today is going to motivate ports of call to start welcoming ships as soon as people would like.  Still a long ways to go.  

32 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

...must still coincide with other countries' decisions to allow 15k-25k people per day to descend on their shores...

Would it be possible for the ship to "port", the captain step off the ship, sign a document, get back on and sail away?  Only the captain ever left the ship, but it officially made "port".  Possible?

Also, wouldn't it be possible for U.S. Congress to temporarily undo the "Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886" and simply allow the cruises industry to sail without stopping at a foreign port?  I mean Congress put this law in place in 1886 for a reason, but surely things could temporarily be eased?

Edited by cruiseypop

1 hour ago, cruiseypop said:

Would it be possible for the ship to "port", the captain step off the ship, sign a document, get back on and sail away?  Only the captain ever left the ship, but it officially made "port".  Possible?

Not sure I understand the implications. Why would anyone pay money to go on a cruise for a week where you aren’t allowed to get off the ship?  Yes, I understand that there are people who are so in love with sea days that floating around in the Caribbean for a week sounds like an attractive option. But not enough people to sustain the industry. And even those people who think that they would love a week-long cruise to nowhere would rethink that during a pandemic. 

8 hours ago, cruiseypop said:

Also, wouldn't it be possible for U.S. Congress to temporarily undo the "Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886" and simply allow the cruises industry to sail without stopping at a foreign port?  I mean Congress put this law in place in 1886 for a reason, but surely things could temporarily be eased?

I think the pandemic will be over before Congress could agree about this and actually pass a bill.

7 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not sure I understand the implications. Why would anyone pay money to go on a cruise for a week where you aren’t allowed to get off the ship?  Yes, I understand that there are people who are so in love with sea days that floating around in the Caribbean for a week sounds like an attractive option. But not enough people to sustain the industry. And even those people who think that they would love a week-long cruise to nowhere would rethink that during a pandemic. 

Exactly.

Especially when having limited events scheduled while sailing and having to wear a mask as well. 

We'll be waiting it out for better times and let others test the waters. 

14 hours ago, cruiseypop said:

Might be a good idea to write your Congress representatives to get started to revoke it.

12 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Agree.....it has to be for a very select desperate crowd because being on a ship with all the prevention strategies that they are going to have to have in place,  plus the people who will not follow those strategies to prevent the spread of Covid-19 on ship,  just seems like it would be too stressful a time trying to have a good time.  

I am not even sure what they will do with the health club/pools and will they enforce people wearing masks when the gym machines/pools get full?  That is just one little area out of many that I am not sure they will have the staff, or the willingness of the staff, to enforce Covid-19 cruising protocols.

With the prediction, and so far most models have been correct, that deaths are going be passing 400,000 by the end of the year in the US it is hard to see how people would feel safe on a cruise ship with Covid-19 still so out of control in so many places.  Not to mention surges are starting to happen in most places in Europe that had it under control.  

Cruise lines have to be enduring severe economic stress as time goes on.  With the US airlines getting ready to layoff 100,000's of employers starting October 1, 2020 after receiving billions in bailouts, I cannot imagine cruise lines are that far behind having received no bailouts.

Edited by PrincessLuver

what % of a usual crew is required just to keep the ship floating without passengers - just use one of the never ships - say SKY

- so a crew and officers is reduced from what to what ?

land side workers are gonzo

and it's been reported that Princess has 'downsized' many areas