Maybe good news for the future of cruising?

cruiseypop

21 hours ago, cruiseypop said:

The current CDC no sail order expires this Wednesday, September 30.  On Wednesday, we will find out if the no sail order is extended or is lifted by the CDC and cruises can resume at U.S. Ports. 

What I don't know is if does resume then does each port have the option to suspend or resume?  I've read that Florida ports want to resume, but not sure if all ports want that or not.  I suppose it's possible west coast or new england ports would remain closed even though the CDC has lifted the no sail order?

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/

As I understand it,  the CDC not extending the no sail order   and the Port authority wanting to

accept cruise ships, makes no difference.  It is down to the  State Governor  of  the respective state of each port  that will have the say on whether cruising  is resumed. 

On 9/23/2020 at 4:40 AM, skynight said:

Doesn't sound like the kind of vacation we would enjoy. But, if some are willing to cruise within these guidelines that would provide cruise lines with some revenue for a year or so. 

Those are RCCL recommendations.  Princess' are, at this point, less intrusive.  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/

Do what works for you.  I wouldn't want to cruise under the restrictive RCCL recommendations, especially the masks, required testing on your own dime, and "approved" excursions only.  But if you're happy with those, have a great trip!

12 hours ago, Aulanis said:

As I understand it,  the CDC not extending the no sail order   and the Port authority wanting to

accept cruise ships, makes no difference.  It is down to the  State Governor  of  the respective state of each port  that will have the say on whether cruising  is resumed. 

Axios is reporting this evening that the CDC extended the no sail order until October 31.  They wanted to extend it to February 2021 but are reporting that the White House overruled that plan.

This cruise critic thread has links to the two Axios articles: 

17 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

With the US airlines getting ready to layoff 100,000's of employers starting October 1, 2020 after receiving billions in bailouts, I cannot imagine cruise lines are that far behind having received no bailouts.

Cruise lines have already laided off many thousands. Only skeleton crews remain on the cruise ships. Number of HQ personnel (sales, marketing, other support) has been reduced.

8 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Those are RCCL recommendations.  Princess' are, at this point, less intrusive.  https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/

Do what works for you.  I wouldn't want to cruise under the restrictive RCCL recommendations, especially the masks, required testing on your own dime, and "approved" excursions only.  But if you're happy with those, have a great trip!

Princess’ Recommendations are, for the most part non-existent.  They are purposefully vague and outright say that they don’t know if masks are going to be required:

Will everyone be required to wear masks? Is there a particular type and will they be provided? 

A: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wearing masks when physical distancing cannot be maintained is helpful in slowing the spread of COVID-19 when combined with other preventative actions. For this reason, many guests will choose to wear them. We will assess the situation to formalize our policy prior to when we start sailing again based on the latest scientific and medical information available as well as guidance from public health experts.

I find it strange that the crew have masks on in every photo except the photos for “Enhanced Screenings” and (ironically) “Keeping Our Crew Healthy”.  This doesn’t inspire confidence.

6 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

They are purposefully vague

as they should be at this time ... vaccine and rapid testing pending results

too strict - nobody books

too lenient - nobody books ( Princess doesn't even care about our health )

let's hope the next 30 days accelerates changes

stay safe

stay hydrated 😷

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, voljeep said:

as they should be at this time ... vaccine and rapid testing pending results

too strict - nobody books

too lenient - nobody books ( Princess doesn't even care about our health )

let's hope the next 30 days accelerates changes

stay safe

stay hydrated 😷

I agree, they should be vague until they have actual guidelines.  The poster that originally shared the link was arguing that you should base your decision on booking with Princess (for leniency) or NCCL (for strict) based on what each line has posted so far.  Since both cruise lines are members of CLIA, it seems likely that they will have more similarities than differences.  If you book Princess because you think you aren't going to be wearing a mask, you may be very disappointed. 😷🤒

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

If you book Princess because you think you aren't going to be wearing a mask, you may be very disappointed. 😷🤒

And that isn't any sort of vacation IMHO.

I believe most people will wait it out until they've had many, many cruises taken place with out a single incident and they return to normal cruising. Hopefully the cruise lines will be able to hold out with limited numbers of people sailing who will put up with the restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

And that isn't any sort of vacation IMHO.

I believe most people will wait it out until they've had many, many cruises taken place with out a single incident and they return to normal cruising. Hopefully the cruise lines will be able to hold out with limited numbers of people sailing who will put up with the restrictions. 

I am a big fan of Princess and I really want things to get back to normal as soon as possible. 

Until then, I think we all have a responsibility to look out for the well being of ourselves and each other.

The struggle  in reverse  demand ? vs Supply ?   . imo  most seniors who  have cruised often & have the time & resources to continue to cruise will wait until it is as safe as it was pre covid `19 virus  . That is a lot of the cruise lines customer base  .Reason is in todays world as we age we develop more underlying medical conditions & this virus can be deadly to us older folk  . Thus ,perhaps those Fyun 3 & 4 day cruises will still be filled with the young ones  ;but ,longer cruises will probably have to wait until this covid 19 is past history 

• Like 1

Another thought  is to vacation  there are other choices like seeing the US via road transport  . Our National & State parks offer activities & spectacular scenery  . Thus ,families & seniors traveling can  be there own safety monitoring & will not have to adhere to  what might come down  from cruise lines . The ultimate answer is vaccination of the world  for the pre covid 19 cruise experience 

• Haha 1

Agree to everything said.

Was it so long ago that some people were saying covid was like the flu. Not particularly dangerous? Well, the scientists were right, and the Facebook graduates were wrong.

Science should be the basis for all safety programs and best practices. Doubtful that any cruise line can dare ignore the mask requirement. Mass infection would happen. The lawyers would have a field day.

I hope that the gullible people will stop feeding cash to certain companies. Their CEOs have to get serious about protecting their guests. Some companies have a history of being optimistic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5328/

BTW, did you realize that …

“Flu Season Never Came to the Southern Hemisphere... Mask wearing and social distancing for COVID-19 may have cut influenza cases south of the equator”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-season-never-came-to-the-southern-hemisphere/

Yes, vulnerable populations could see a drop in death rates this winter in some countries!

I forget where I read this:

""Wearing a mask for most of your vacation, a complete overhaul of food options, reduced activities, reduced excursions, and social distancing measures while onboard probably don’t make it to the top of many people’s holiday lists."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

""Wearing a mask for most of your vacation, a complete overhaul of food options, reduced activities, reduced excursions, and social distancing measures while onboard probably don’t make it to the top of many people’s holiday lists."

😄 They would have to pay me for a "vacation" like that. 

• Like 1

Conditions will never return to the days before the pandemic.  We will be living in a new world of changed conditions and attitudes.  I believe there will be a return of the cruise ships but with new and different rules regarding personal safety.   We are currently booked on 5 cruises in 2021 and 2 so far in 2022.  Whether any or all will actually set sail is yet TBD.  The rules mentioned so far are not a determinant to our cruising and necessary to ensure our safety.  We certainly will miss the "way it was" but not totally.   There is hope for a better future. 

15 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Conditions will never return to the days before the pandemic.  We will be living in a new world of changed conditions and attitudes. 

Perhaps true but life did return to "normal" after the Spanish Flu epidemic. It took some time but people moved on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Perhaps true but life did return to "normal" after the Spanish Flu epidemic. It took some time but people moved on.

They had WW1 and the Spanish Flu Pandemic. People did eventually move on, but it was a new normal. The pre 1914 world had gone forever. 

Just got a new note from Princess.  Waiting to hear clarification.  One letter reads screening questionnaire; the website says " pre-travel testing for COVID-19."  No specifics there.  IF I get an answer, I'll post it.  We have 3 scheduled for next year, with a 4th holding.

I got a survey last week (undoubtedly sponsored by one of the cruiselines) asking questions regarding the nasal swab, how likely would I cruise if required, how much would I be willing to pay for one, what would my backup vacation be, etc.  Anyone else get something like this?  We have cruised this year or will be cruising next year with Princess, NCL, RCCL, and Carnival.  Just curious who commissioned the survey.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health

I’m not too fussy about the Coronavirus procedures and restrictions, so I just gloss over those and look for information that affects my enjoyment of the cruise.  I spend most of my day on a cruise participating in free activities.  I can’t find any information on how activities will be limited or impractical.  Have they figured out whether there will be 6 shows instead of 2 every evening if audience size is 1/3 of normal?  Will they have multiple lectures?  How will they handle art auctions, trivia, putting and bean bag competitions, pop choir, piano bar, swimming pool, jacuzzi, horse racing, etc.  

With a little creativity they can come up with alternatives for those that are unfeasible.  But since they never publish a (tentative) daily activities sheet in advance of a cruise, I guess I shouldn’t expect much.  But I would like some assurance that I will be busy all day, and the cruise lines will not use coronavirus as an excuse to further limit free daily activities.  My last Princess Cruise had no band at the pool in the afternoon and no entertainment at the sail away party.

Has anyone obtained any info from the cruise lines on how specific activities will be modified or limited?

1 hour ago, WAMarathoner said:

Just got a new note from Princess.  Waiting to hear clarification.  One letter reads screening questionnaire; the website says " pre-travel testing for COVID-19."  No specifics there.  IF I get an answer, I'll post it.  We have 3 scheduled for next year, with a 4th holding.

I had the same question. Can't tell from the wording if they mean a test they administer at check-in or if one needs to get a test independently within x hours before the cruise or both.

But I bet that Princess does not know the answer yet. They are basically listing the CLIA main points, not how Princess will implement them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, schnutz said:

Has anyone obtained any info from the cruise lines on how specific activities will be modified or limited?

This is what Princess has to say in the link that WAMarathoner posted:

Physical Distancing

Across the fleet we’re making it easier to practice physical distancing by managing the timing, size and flow of groups in onboard venues and for events and helping you make informed decisions about what to do on board. Where and when physical distancing cannot be maintained, guests will be required to wear masks. When it comes to meals, there will be no self-service. We'll do the serving for you. 

On MedallionClass ships get a real-time view of attendance in lounges, theaters and other areas, and bookmark activities of interest, noting attendance limits. 

On 10/1/2020 at 2:45 AM, caribill said:

The cruise lines are in a no-win situation here. If they're too lenient, people won't go because they're afraid of getting sick. If they're too strict, people won't go because it won't be any fun. I guess we should just expect the entire cruise industry to go out of business and their stock price to plummet to $0. I just hope people who have money invested in the industry won't complain when their pessimism leads to their own financial losses.