The Daily for Wednesday Sep 23, 2020

richwmn

today is Checkers Day, and National Great American Pot Pie Day

There is no time like the present for postponing what you ought to be doing.

Meal suggestion for today - Halibut Soft Tacos

Drink of the Day - Mojito

Wine of the day - Descendientes de J. Palacios Bierzo Pétalos vintage 2016

At Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Willemstad eta 9/25
Eurodam destination Bonaire eta 9/22

At Sea Mediterranean Sea
Noordam destination Marsaxlokk Malta eta 9/24

Balboa Panama Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Southampton GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

0923World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thank you for the Daily.

Interesting map.

Love the quote, I resemble that remark.😉

I made chicken pot pie last week, so I don't think we'll have it again tonight.  Hoping for take out something, just a change so I don't have to cook.🙂

Another beautiful fall day in the forecast for today.  Sunny and a high of 21C.  Maybe we'll go pick some apples.

Sending prayers to our friends down east.  I hope Teddy does not cause too many problems.

Stay safe.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Looking forward to your lists & picture, Roy.  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters - hope all is well.  Jacqui, hope Teddy is not doing too much damage. You are right - he is a massive storm!

A fun mix of days. Great quote. I think I might have a halibut filet in the freezer, so the meal sounds perfect. I have at least heard of today’s drink. Today is our last day of Fall preview here. Back to summer tomorrow. 

Prayers for all who need our support.

Shout outs to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone.

This well rated Spanish red wine is very reasonably priced at $21.99. All vintages seem to share the same ratings & similar prices. Another reviewer called this vintage a very “food friendly wine because it contains 6% white grapes”.

#35 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The vineyards used in Petalos include estate vineyards and rented vineyards in and around the village of Corullon. The vines range in age from 40 - 90 years old. The vineyards in Corullon are high elevation mixed with lower elevation vineyards from other parts of the appellation. Petalos ages for a few weeks in new French oak barriques followed by 6-10 months in 2nd and 3rd passage barrels.

WS92
Wine Spectator

This savory red offers notes of espresso, black olive and graphite framing a core of black cherry and licorice. Fine-grained tannins and fresh acidity keep this balanced. Harmonious and graceful. Drink now through 2024. 

• Like 13

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  I haven't played checkers in years and am not a fan of pot pie.  I resemble that quote.  Westerdam is at the terminal where I most frequently board QM2.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Those still affected by smoke and wildfires

fatcat04's DH dealing with vertigo

Himself with limited left arm use while healing

Maritime Canada with Teddy

Continuing flooding  from Beta

200,000 US Covid deaths

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Quartzite Cruiser

Front line health workers

Mask makers

Continued clearing in the Northwest and British Columbia

NFL getting serious about requiring masks

First full day of Fall (Spring in Southern Hemisphere

and a date set for shipping of Amsterdam luggage

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich, Roy (when he gets here), and fellow daily-ites.  I used to love to play checkers when I was younger.  We had pot pie on Sunday.  And, like others, I live the quote.

It is so nice and cool this morning, low 70's.

Mojito:

Ingredients

• 3 mint leaves
  • 2 ounces white rum
  • 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • club soda, to top
  • Garnish: mint sprig
  • Garnish: lime wheel

Steps

1. Lightly muddle the mint in a shaker.

2. Add the rum, lime juice, simple syrup and ice and give it a brief shake.

3. Strain into a highball glass over fresh ice.

4. Top with the club soda.

5. Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wheel.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 more crazy funny police reports

Good morning Rich. I hope you have a wonderful day. Thank you for the Daily.

Good morning sisters Denise and Ann, and to Roy and Jacqui, and Summer Slope. Thank you for your contributions.

Denise, how is the kitchen coming along? Take deep breaths, drink lots of wine..

Jacqui I am praying for you, Jose and pups. Stay away from those umbrellas!

I love turkey pot pie. I will add it to my market list. No on the wine, as it's red. But mojitos could be in our future.

Our rain settled down last night and it's barely a mist now, with a good weather report today. Our yards are soggy wet and our back porch is full of bird seeds and birds this morning. The hummers are competing with the cardinals and I saw a hummer chase a wayward chickadee away from the feeder. 

Thinking of our fellow Daily-ites today. Be safe, be kind. Blessings ya'll!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Good Morning, I like the dinner suggestion.  This recipe is close to the recipe I use when making this dish.  https://gatherforbread.com/chicken-pot-pie-pennsylvania-dutch-style/

Today is another birthday celebration.  Jasper also turns 9 today.  Tucker and Jasper came from the same rescue and have been raised as brothers.  They are always near each other.

53EDD90A-658C-4BDD-89D9-8CA3A6C81BB0.jpeg

• Like 19

Thank you Rich and Roy. Morning all. 

Pot pie was one of those dinners we kids always looked forwards to. It was just  good home cooking but patience Grasshopper.  You had to let that piping hot goodness cool a bit or you won't be tasting anything for a few days. 

Red heads, have a few in our family and they are appreciated. My mom wanted a red head for a child but she had to wait for grandbabies and great-grandbabies. They just kind of pop up randomly. We thought dd was going to be red headed for a while as the distinct red tint to her baby hair was very noticeable and her hair is on the more thin and wispy side but she is indeed a blond like dh, myself, and ds were at that age. 

Weather here is going to be mostly cloudy and low 70's (21 or 22 C). Very pleasant with that little fall tang in the air.

Jasper is a handsome birthday boy @Crazy For Cats

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, it's been years since I've played checkers, and I haven't made a potpie in forever.  Maybe it's time to pick up a package of frozen pie crust and put something together.

I love the drink of the day - usually have a few on our cruises in the afternoons in the sun.  Sigh.

Today we have to get the dryer repaired; it runs for a few minutes, then stops. I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat, but we'll see when the fellow gets here at noon.  Thank goodness it isn't one of the newest electronic ones; it can still be fixed by an old fashioned repair man!

Not sure what's on the menu for tonight, but DH has said something about "continue to use the barbecue until it gets too cold for me to go out there", so I guess we're grilling something!  And wine.

Prayers for everyone on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11

There are a number of days where I have no sunrise photos and many of them happen to be from late September.  Several of my next photos will be from my 2012 Crystal Symphony Transatlantic including this one from September 15.  I assume this one was taken from my stateroom window as it was not a nice morning:

dawn15.jpg

Roy

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, I like the dinner suggestion.  This recipe is close to the recipe I use when making this dish.  https://gatherforbread.com/chicken-pot-pie-pennsylvania-dutch-style/

Today is another birthday celebration.  Jasper also turns 9 today.  Tucker and Jasper came from the same rescue and have been raised as brothers.  They are always near each other.

53EDD90A-658C-4BDD-89D9-8CA3A6C81BB0.jpeg

Happy Birthday Jasper.

Roy

• Like 5

Good morning all! Thank you Rich for The Daily and thank you Roy for the care and celebration lists. 

Today has brought the rain. My area is expecting up to 3 inches over the next two days. So, it’ll be a bit soggy and humid but at least we can breathe again. 😊

Saw this funny comic the other day and thought others might enjoy! 

7499BCE1-6F7B-47A1-BD8E-137A86BBE585.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Redhead Jokes | Tales of a Ranting Ginger

🌺Good morning Joy!!LOL on the head stone!!  Doing well with Reno. We redid our kitchen in 2010 but I just wanted change. Now wish I didn’t! LOL. All is good! We went to Costco yesterday! We are all stocked up on wine👍👍👍

Have a good day!! Virtual hugs to you.

Denise😊

• Like 9

Good morning everyone.  The chicken pies you can get at Costco (in Canada) are delicious, but huge, and we end up eating leftovers a couple of times.  It's stuffed peppers for us today.  DH and I had an outing yesterday, we only made two wrong turns. Glorious weather here,  I wish it would continue for a few more weeks.  I enjoy a Mojito, even more so when cruising.  We have a red haired grandson so we will celebrate him today.  My thoughts are with those who are on Roy's care list. Take care and stay healthy!  No flu shots here yet - maybe late September/early October.

• Like 9

🌺Good morning Rich and Roy!! First I am not a checker player and second National Pot Pie Day?? Nope! Got so sick when I was small with a Swanson  frozen chicken pie!

The rest is history 😞

I really enjoy the map Rich!! I wouldn’t mind being anywhere on that map on one of our HAL Ships!! I SO MISS CRUISING!!

David and I have been watching our vacations and looking at our photos, that is how much we miss cruising!

Mojitos are one of our drinks we would always start off with down at the SeaView Bar After SAILAWAY!! We so enjoyed that!

🌺Roy, Rain or Shine I still love those pictures of both sunrise and sunsets👍

Thank you for posting them! I hope our care list shrinks down and more CELEBRATIONS 🎉 in the future!!

🌺Good morning Ann and Bindi!!! You have a great day and THANK YOU for doing the wine spectators descriptions!!

I saw the wine choice yesterday at Costco!! It was 17.99! I bought one to try! 
I believe I read dear sister liked it so I got one to try👍 We’re doing good here with the kitchen renovation! Early mornings are quiet until they come LOL! 
🌺TO ALL DAILYITES!! Have a wonderful day ! Be positive, smile, and most of all cherish your family and friends!!

Take Care

Denise😊

• Like 12

We do like pot pies and usually have a couple of Marie Callendar's in the freezer for "emergencies". I have been inspired by the Great British Baking Show to make my own using hot-water crust pastry. I should do that today since the weather is cooling down, but maybe next week would be better..... 

This is a bar/restaurant in Malaga, Spain (from our 2018 Transatlantic). Note that a Mojito is the first drink on the sign. I also just noticed a Mojito Negro on the bottom row, I will have to try one if we can ever sail Europe again! 

image.thumb.png.424c7afd0b380a105feefc7129c3ea6d.png

Roman Theater in Malaga where we stumbled across a wedding -

image.thumb.png.cfbed13af9d286a093aeac8c9d6d7353.png

• Like 14

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is Checkers Day, and National Great American Pot Pie Day

There is no time like the present for postponing what you ought to be doing.

Meal suggestion for today - Halibut Soft Tacos

Drink of the Day - Mojito

Wine of the day - Descendientes de J. Palacios Bierzo Pétalos vintage 2016

At Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Willemstad eta 9/25
Eurodam destination Bonaire eta 9/22

At Sea Mediterranean Sea
Noordam destination Marsaxlokk Malta eta 9/24

Balboa Panama Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Southampton GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

0923World.png

Thanks for the Daily.  Chiken pot pie sounds great. Not into Tacos. Off to the Doctors, I guess to get the stitches out. My best to all.

• Like 8

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy for hosting our get-together!  Hope Jacqui is surviving Teddy.  On the news last night it said many homes are without electricity in NB and NS.  DD is expecting  a lot of rain in NL where she is (Gander).  She is our redhead.  

It has been raining, yay!  The bees were busy foraging yesterday, and the skies were bright blue, but it is more dreary today, but the damp makes my hair curl, so that is good.  

It surprises me that so many of the ships seem to be always on the move - is it cheaper to use fuel to travel than to stay docked or anchored?  

Happy birthday to Jasper!  He is very handsome.

Now I want chicken pot pie.  I will have to check the freezer.  It is so full I can never find anything.

• Like 8