Water excursion questions

Missavonne

I've booked my first ever cruise for next March. I've also booked a snorkeling/scuba type excursion (snorkeling with an oxygen hose but no tank/wet suit) and I'm wondering what I will need. Will they have somewhere secure to store phone/money/valuables while I am in the water?  Or do I need to search for some kind of diving bag/water proof bag and swim with everything I bring off the ship? I'm just not sure what this will look like at all! Thanks in advance! I'm super excited and just trying to envision what this will look like! 😄

Ahoy Avonne! 

There are many waterproof pouches you can purchase to hold your cell phone and cash.  Just do an Amazon, Bing or Google search for " watertight cellphone case ". You'll need one big enough for your cell phone, folding cash, credit card and your SeaPass card. 

We'll see you onboard!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Snuba (snorkeling with an oxygen hose) can get you swimming at up to 30 feet under water.  If you attempt to bring a cell phone with you in a waterproof pouch, ensure that it is the only thing in the pouch, and that the pouch fits flat against the phone with no wrinkles.  The phone will experience 14.7PSI of pressure, which is like putting a 225 pound book on a 3inch by 5 inch cell phone.  I'd leave it in a waterproof bag on the boat.  I carry my sea pass card, my passport card (the plastic card, not the book), a credit card, and a couple hundred in cash in an inside pocket with a rubber band around the whole lot.  I leave everything else on the snorkel operator's boat.  I would leave everything with my bag, but I like the peace of mind of having the essentials with me at all times.

Edited by gmerick
spelling

• 1 month later...

It’ll depend on the actual excursion. I did snuba on St Thomas at Coral World. They had an area where we got kitted out with masks, snorkels and fins, then we stored our bags in one of the containers there. The instructors locked the container. I did bring my phone in a waterproof case as we weren’t going particularly deep, but I also brought a GoPro type camera which would work at greater depth. 
one piece of advice, if you have narrow heels and already have fins you know fit you, bring them with you. I spent most of my session knocking the heel strap off when it hit the air tube.