RCL's Quantum Class Ships: Solo Balcony Cabins

farmersfight

I did on Ovation last year to Alaska and thought it was a great space. I liked the location, it had a lot of hidden storage space, and I never felt closed-in because of the virtual balcony. It was bigger than a porthole and gave me a great outside view. 

Now if you are tall that could be an issue. I am 5’ and the bed was fine. But if I were much taller it would be an issue. It’s a small room but they do make good use of the space. I was actually surprised as to how nice of a size the shower was. I would stay in one again. 

If you have any questions please ask. Happy to go into more detail. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bhsolo said:

I did on Ovation last year to Alaska and thought it was a great space. I liked the location, it had a lot of hidden storage space, and I never felt closed-in because of the virtual balcony. It was bigger than a porthole and gave me a great outside view. 

Now if you are tall that could be an issue. I am 5’ and the bed was fine. But if I were much taller it would be an issue. It’s a small room but they do make good use of the space. I was actually surprised as to how nice of a size the shower was. I would stay in one again. 

If you have any questions please ask. Happy to go into more detail. 

Thanks for the reply & great info. I was actually inquiring about the studio cabins with actual balconies (not just virtual - although, this is a cool idea imo). I'm guessing that if your studio cabin on the Ovation had a virtual balcony that it was an inside? Not sure if the Quantum class ships have studio OV cabins but I'm pretty sure that the Oasis class ships do (although the Oasis class ships do not have the studio balcony cabins like the Quantum class ships do).

Btw, I think NCL has virtual "windows" in their newer studio cabins that show a live video feed of the outside of the ship on a window-like monitor in the cabin.

Yeah, I may have a problem with the bed if it is "short" as I am 6' 4". But if my feet hang over the end of the bed, I won't care.

Lastly, how was your overall solo experience on an RCL ship and more specifically, on an RCL Quantum class ship? For example, did they have solo meet-ups and/or activities for solos like NCL does?

Thanks in advance.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:15 PM, farmersfight said:

Has anyone sailed on one of RCL's Quantum class ships (Quantum OTS, Anthem OTS, Ovation OTS, Spectrum OTS & soon - Odyssey OTS) in a studio balcony cabin?

I promise I will report back in late June after my Quantum sailing!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, coastcat said:

I promise I will report back in late June after my Quantum sailing!

Great! Thanks coastcat. I'm guessing that your sailing will be an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle? I think I saw where RCL had the Quantum OTS doing Alaskan cruises. The only other Quantum-class ships I saw sailing out of the U.S. was the Ovation OTS and the Anthem OTS sailing out of Bayonne, NJ. I'm looking at booking a solo balcony cabin on Anthem OTS for a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise.

By all means, let me know how that studio balcony cabin was and how RCL treated you as a solo cruiser. Who knows, maybe "I'll beat you to the punch" and sail on Anthem OTS in May or early June next year! Fingers crossed 🤞 for a vaccine.

Take care.

Edited by farmersfight

18 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Yeah, I may have a problem with the bed if it is "short" as I am 6' 4". But if my feet hang over the end of the bed, I won't care.

Lastly, how was your overall solo experience on an RCL ship and more specifically, on an RCL Quantum class ship? For example, did they have solo meet-ups and/or activities for solos like NCL does?

Thanks in advance.

RCL was great for a solo experience and sq ft wise the solo cabins - interior and balcony are slightly larger than NCL. I wanted the opposite of NCL in which I didn't feel the need for the lounge and didn't want to have a lot of solo meet-ups and activities for solos. I just wanted to be on vacation and if I met people naturally (which I did, that would be great) but if I didn't I was perfectly content. I believe I did see meet-ups every morning and maybe for a happy hour each day on the itinerary but never want. My room steward was great, waiters were perfectly fine, I never felt I was treated any differently being a solo. Though I was not impressed with the main dining room experience as I thought that was a bit rushed and just awkward. It could have been because it was sail-away day but I didn't feel the need to go back. I did enjoy the Solarium restaurant, without ever feeling rushed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, farmersfight said:

By all means, let me know how that studio balcony cabin was and how RCL treated you as a solo cruiser. Who knows, maybe "I'll beat you to the punch" and sail on Anthem OTS in May or early June next year!

It's a deal! Yes, my Quantum cruise is to Alaska out of my home port of Seattle.

I had been looking at Anthem sailings but since I'd have to fly in anyway, it makes more sense to pick a southern port and avoid all those sea days. Then again, sea days are lovely... But I booked Mariner instead for my first Royal Caribbean trip to the Caribbean. Being an older ship, albeit one that's been recently upgraded, the prices on her are low enough that the 100% single supplement doesn't hurt quite as much as it does for an Oasis-class ship.

Also, and this is important - Royal Caribbean has dropped prices on Cruise Planner options! Go check out the pricing on packages and excursions for your Anthem cruise. For my June Quantum cruise, the deluxe beverage package had been at $57/day. Right now it's $43/day. I did the math and it made me happy - so I bought that plus the regular Xoom internet (single device) on sale for $9.43/day.

Being short can be annoying (4'10") but at least leg room and bed length is rarely an issue...

Edited by coastcat
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bhsolo said:

I wanted the opposite of NCL in which I didn't feel the need for the lounge and didn't want to have a lot of solo meet-ups and activities for solos. I just wanted to be on vacation and if I met people naturally (which I did, that would be great) but if I didn't I was perfectly content.

Thanks bhsolo, that's what is great about cruising solo. You can socialize as much or as little as you want. I like your attitude of just meeting people naturally but that if you didn't you were perfectly content. I haven't cruised solo yet, so I'm not sure which direction I would take.

5 hours ago, bhsolo said:

I did enjoy the Solarium restaurant, without ever feeling rushed.

As I understand, RCL's Solarium is the adults only venue? And, was there a charge for the Solarium restaurant (a la cart or part of a dining package) or a charge to use the Solarium itself (like NCL charges for their Vibe Beach Club)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

I had been looking at Anthem sailings but since I'd have to fly in anyway, it makes more sense to pick a southern port and avoid all those sea days. Then again, sea days are lovely...

Yeah, being recently retired now time is no problem so I want to book longer cruises (I've set 12 days as a minimum for myself). I love sea days as well, so the extra sea days requied for the Anthem to sail all the way down to the southern caribbean (and back) from NJ would suit me just fine.

Btw, thanks for the pricing tips on RCL's packages and excursions. I will check them out.

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

As I understand, RCL's Solarium is the adults only venue? And, was there a charge for the Solarium restaurant (a la cart or part of a dining package) or a charge to use the Solarium itself (like NCL charges for their Vibe Beach Club)?

Yes, it’s adults only with a few hot tubs, relaxing/sitting pools, a bar, and waiter service. The restaurant was nice for breakfast and lunch buffet, then dinner was a combined service. Buffet for apps and dessert and the waiter will bring your entree. 

There was no charge to use the solarium or eat in it. The only charge is if you decide to upgrade your entree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bhsolo said:

Yes, it’s adults only with a few hot tubs, relaxing/sitting pools, a bar, and waiter service. The restaurant was nice for breakfast and lunch buffet, then dinner was a combined service. Buffet for apps and dessert and the waiter will bring your entree. 

There was no charge to use the solarium or eat in it. The only charge is if you decide to upgrade your entree. 

Thanks. RCL's Solarium sounds much better than NCL's Vibe Beach Club. I can't remember if Vibe has hot tubs or not but Vibe doesn't have pool(s). I think Vibe has a bar but no waiter service. And, having an exclusive Solarium restaurant is a huge + over Vibe. All this for no charge while you have to buy "Vibe passes" with NCL (which sometimes you can't even get because they sell out so fast).

I guess NCL's old Spice H2O was more like RCL's Solarium - it was adults only, had a pool and there was no extra charge. That's why you see so many comments here on CC about NCL cruisers who miss Spice H2O compared to the Vibe Beach Club. Oh also, I'm guessing that the Solarium was glass enclosed (hence the name) while Vibe was out in the open on the aft end of the ship.

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:Oh also, I'm guessing that the Solarium was glass enclosed (hence the name) while Vibe was out in the open on the aft end of the ship.

Yup! On Ovation to Alaska it was great because you could still open the windows and get great photos/breeze but also stay warm/comfortable. By the hot tubs there were wings on which you could walk out to the sides if you wanted some fresh air. It’s in the front of the ship, made for a great opportunity to see the wildlife. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhsolo said:

Yup! On Ovation to Alaska it was great because you could still open the windows and get great photos/breeze but also stay warm/comfortable. By the hot tubs there were wings on which you could walk out to the sides if you wanted some fresh air. It’s in the front of the ship, made for a great opportunity to see the wildlife. 

I see that you are in Hoboken, NJ. Have you considered a cruise on Anthem OTS that sails out of Bayonne, NJ. Just down the road from you. Anthem is another of RCL's Quantum class ships and has the studio balcony cabins. Before the virus hit, I was seriously considering a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise on Anthem out of Bayonne, NJ. In a studio balcony of course!

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I see that you are in Hoboken, NJ. Have you considered a cruise on Anthem OTS that sails out of Bayonne, NJ. Just down the road from you. Anthem is another of RCL's Quantum class ships and has the studio balcony cabins. Before the virus hit, I was seriously considering a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise on Anthem out of Bayonne, NJ. In a studio balcony of course!

I know people who have and loved it. I haven’t because I don’t have the length of time needed and I like to explore lots of different areas. Though if a really good deal comes along I may jump or do a fall cruise up the coast to use my FCC. Was supposed to be On a European cruise this past May 😟

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 6:09 AM, farmersfight said:

I guess NCL's old Spice H2O was more like RCL's Solarium - it was adults only, had a pool and there was no extra charge. That's why you see so many comments here on CC about NCL cruisers who miss Spice H2O compared to the Vibe Beach Club. Oh also, I'm guessing that the Solarium was glass enclosed (hence the name) while Vibe was out in the open on the aft end of the ship.

Yes, I would equate NCL's Spice H2O to RCI's Solarium.  Not all of NCL's Spice venues have a pool (Bliss has 2 hot tubs and a "water feature") but not all of RCI's Solariums have pools either.  Yes, the Solarium on the Quantum class and Oasis class ships is glass-enclosed, but if I recall the space on Explorer that was named that it isn't always the case.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hallux said:

Yes, I would equate NCL's Spice H2O to RCI's Solarium.  Not all of NCL's Spice venues have a pool (Bliss has 2 hot tubs and a "water feature") but not all of RCI's Solariums have pools either.  Yes, the Solarium on the Quantum class and Oasis class ships is glass-enclosed, but if I recall the space on Explorer that was named that it isn't always the case.

Thanks for the clarification wrt some of the Spice H2O's and Solariums not having pools. Q: have you sailed as a solo on both NCL and RCL? If yes, which cruise line did you like best? And, more specifically, which ship class did you like best (i.e. on NCL - BA or BA + class, on RCL - Quantum or Oasis class). And why?

When cruising resumes, I'll be embarking (yes, pun intended, lol) on solo cruising for the first time. Just thought I'd "tap into" your solo cruising knowledge and first hand experience on the 2 cruise lines. Sorry if too many Q's.

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Q: have you sailed as a solo on both NCL and RCL? If yes, which cruise line did you like best? And, more specifically, which ship class did you like best (i.e. on NCL - BA or BA + class, on RCL - Quantum or Oasis class). And why?

Only on NCL as a "pure solo".  My first two cruises, on RCI were with family, though I was in my own room.  I've only sailed one NCL ship - the Bliss.  I'm not sure I can make the comparisons you want.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Only on NCL as a "pure solo".  My first two cruises, on RCI were with family, though I was in my own room.  I've only sailed one NCL ship - the Bliss.  I'm not sure I can make the comparisons you want.

No problem, I appreciate the reply. You're very knowledgeable on the Spice H2O vs Solarium comparisons anyway. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to see what's the cheapest alternative to cruise solo on Quantum out of Singapore, but i've never done anything solo before. Is it best to pretend i booked for two in the cabin and say the second didn't show up for some apparent reason? Could i be penalized for having the intention of lying/cheating the booking system. Or is it better to just pay 200% of a normal cabin for 1 person. I am pretty sure a studio balcony is out of the question because it's currently at like 250% of normal cabin.

44 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

I'm trying to see what's the cheapest alternative to cruise solo on Quantum out of Singapore, but i've never done anything solo before. Is it best to pretend i booked for two in the cabin and say the second didn't show up for some apparent reason? Could i be penalized for having the intention of lying/cheating the booking system. Or is it better to just pay 200% of a normal cabin for 1 person. I am pretty sure a studio balcony is out of the question because it's currently at like 250% of normal cabin.

As a solo, you'll be required to pay a solo supplement if you book a regular cabin. The solo supplement is normally 100% (making the cost double or 200% for you for the cabin). This is done because the cruise line charges per person based on double occupancy (even if you book as a solo in a regular cabin, the cruise line still wants that 2nd fare for the room. Hence, the additional supplement). Sometimes, you can find cruises with discounted (less than 100%) or even no solo supplements.

I don't think you'll be able to lie or cheat the system. If you book the regular cabin, the cruise line will charge you the total fare for that cabin, so it will be for 2 persons. They expect you to just get reimbursed the 2nd person's fare from that 2nd person directly.

I don't think you're correct about a studio balcony being 250% of a regular cabin. That's what's nice about studio cabins, they are designed for 1 person only, so the fare is for 1 person only. You're not paying for that 2nd person in the cabin and definitely not paying 250% of a regular cabin for that studio cabin. I would recommend you call RCL and get a price quote from them for a studio balcony cabin for the cruise you want. Btw, the studio balcony cabins are unique to RCL's Quantum-class ships (the ships may have studio insides, as well). They are very popular and sell out fast, so a lot of times, you will not see them by trying to book on line. That's why I recommend you call RCL directly.

Good luck!

Edited by farmersfight

10 minutes ago, BROWNSUGAR30 said:

Although I have not cruise solo on RCL, I think booking as solo is better, also you may not be charge the taxes for the second person... but this depends on cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe you are correct. As a solo booked in a regular (not studio) cabin, you only pay the 2nd cruise fare (100% solo supplement) and do not have to pay the 2nd cruise fare's taxes (and port fees and gratuities, I believe).

33 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

As a solo, you'll be required to pay a solo supplement if you book a regular cabin. The solo supplement is normally 100% (making the cost double or 200% for you for the cabin). This is done because the cruise line charges per person based on double occupancy (even if you book as a solo in a regular cabin, the cruise line still wants that 2nd fare for the room. Hence, the additional supplement). Sometimes, you can find cruises with discounted (less than 100%) or even no solo supplements.

I don't think you'll be able to lie or cheat the system. If you book the regular cabin, the cruise line will charge you the total fare for that cabin, so it will be for 2 persons. They expect you to just get reimbursed the 2nd person's fare from that 2nd person directly.

I don't think you're correct about a studio balcony being 250% of a regular cabin. That's what's nice about studio cabins, they are designed for 1 person only, so the fare is for 1 person only. You're not paying for that 2nd person in the cabin and definitely not paying 250% of a regular cabin for that studio cabin. I would recommend you call RCL and get a price quote from them for a studio balcony cabin for the cruise you want. Btw, the studio balcony cabins are unique to RCL's Quantum-class ships (the ships may have studio insides, as well). They are very popular and sell out fast, so a lot of times, you will not see them by trying to book on line. That's why I recommend you call RCL directly.

Good luck!

If that's the case, then why is a studio balcony much more expensive then a normal balcony when i am booking for one guest? Shouldn't it be the other way round, where i am paying 2X in a normal cabin (minus the port fees of 2nd passenger) and less for a studio that is designed particularly for 1 person?

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.15.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.16.36 PM.png

1 hour ago, Ethanol95 said:

If that's the case, then why is a studio balcony much more expensive then a normal balcony when i am booking for one guest? Shouldn't it be the other way round, where i am paying 2X in a normal cabin (minus the port fees of 2nd passenger) and less for a studio that is designed particularly for 1 person?

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.15.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.16.36 PM.png

Yeah, the cruise line doesn't give you the exact same per person amount in a studio cabin as the per person amount in a regular cabin. I think this is because the cruise line still wants to get that little bit of extra revenue back that they are losing by not having that 2nd fare from a studio balcony booking.

In your original post, you said a studio balcony is 250% of a normal cabin. In RCL's web site screen shot you posted above, the price per person of a normal cabin is $691, so your total cost of the normal cabin as a solo is $1382 (100% solo supplement). The cost for 1 person in the studio balcony cabin is only $976 (you don't have to pay an additional 100% solo supplement since it is a studio cabin). Obviously, your cost of $976 to book the solo balcony cabin is less than your cost of $1382 to book the regular cabin with the solo supplement.

Even if you look strictly at the per person cost (disregarding the fact that you have to pay double for a normal cabin), $976 for 1 person is no where near 250% more than the per person cost of $691 for a regular cabin ($691+$691+$345=$1,727 <- this is 250% more than the $691 per person cost in a regular cabin). So, if it were as you said, 250% more pp for a studio cabin would be $1,727. The actual cost for a studio cabin is only 141% more for per person than the regular cabin and this is far less than the 200% more (100% solo supplement) you would have to pay to book a normal cabin as a solo. Again, that extra 41% per person for a studio cabin is what the cruise line is getting back for losing that 2nd person's 100% fare if it were a normal cabin.

Edited by farmersfight