Migration of NCL studio ships away from NYC it seemsss

HowardK

Hello, I had the Ncl Encore booked from NYC this May to Bermuda- and now I see over time there will be very few ships with studios doing round trips to NYC.

i.e. there were a few that started in NYC and then end in a different port. There are a few Breakaway ones to CA/NE, but it seems less of the 7 day ones to Bermuda or Florida occuring. 

This is a dissapointment to me, I don't necessarily want to fly to Miami or Seattle . However, I realize they must rotate the ships and try different routes that could be more popular.

17 hours ago, bhsolo said:

Have you checked RCL out of Bayonne? I know they have the Quantum ships with studios that leave from there. Not sure what is scheduled for this year but it is another option that is a short taxi ride away. 

I went on RCCL in the 90's and liked it- especially that top circular lounge I wonder if they still had it.

I'm one cruise away from NCL from platinum plus but will def look at RCCL- it could be a question of me needing to drive 90 minutes to Bayonne (maybe avoiding hotel in NYC, train etc.)

• Like 1

Oooh that is tempting with NCL. I think you are talking about the Solarium on RCL, the adults only section? If so, they still have it and it's fantastic! My favorite place to go on the ship and can just stay there all day.

If you need a hotel, you could do the W in Hoboken for a night and then it's a really quick uber ride over. Doing that would cost you less than 1 night of hotel in the city. I do know many people who leave their car at the Bayonne port for the length of the cruise. Feel free to message me if you would like to talk about options/need more info. Happy to help.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bhsolo said:

Have you checked RCL out of Bayonne? I know they have the Quantum ships with studios that leave from there. Not sure what is scheduled for this year but it is another option that is a short taxi ride away. 

I have, lol. I'm looking closely at a 12 day southern caribbean RT on the Anthem OTS ouf of Bayonne. Very interesting in booking a studio balcony cabin.

1 hour ago, bhsolo said:

I think you are talking about the Solarium on RCL, the adults only section?

I think @HowardK might be referring to the elevated, circular Crown Lounge on some of RCL's older ships?

1 hour ago, bhsolo said:

If you need a hotel, you could do the W in Hoboken for a night and then it's a really quick uber ride over. Doing that would cost you less than 1 night of hotel in the city.

Thanks for the hotel tip. I'll definitely keep the W in mind if I "pull the trigger" and book Anthem OTS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 12:22 PM, HowardK said:

especially that top circular lounge I wonder if they still had it.

On 9/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, bhsolo said:

I think you are talking about the Solarium on RCL, the adults only section?

I believe that was the Crown Lounge, or Viking Crown Lounge.  Look at Explorer of the Seas, deck 14.  That actually encompasses several venues.  The Solarium is not always forward, above the bridge, as it is on Oasis and Quantum ships.  On Explorer, for example, it's a section of the main pool deck, mid-ship.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, hallux said:

I believe that was the Crown Lounge, or Viking Crown Lounge.  Look at Explorer of the Seas, deck 14.  That actually encompasses several venues.  The Solarium is not always forward, above the bridge, as it is on Oasis and Quantum ships.  On Explorer, for example, it's a section of the main pool deck, mid-ship.

Hello, yes it was the Crown Lounge from what I remember- I loved it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Looks similar to the Observation Lounge on the Joy, I loved this spot: 

Can't beat the views from Horizon Lounge

Very nice. I think the Joy's is better because of many, many more glass panels offering incredible views (I'm assuming - I've never been on her).

Just now, farmersfight said:

Very nice. I think the Joy's is better because of many, many more glass panels offering incredible views (I'm assuming - I've never been on her).

My cruise on the Joy was my last cruise b4 C-19 hit.  The views were wonderful, the staff at the bar were so accommodating, made it  a really a special experience. My cruise wasn't long enough, 5 days, never again, gimme mo... lol 

cheers 🥂

BTW, wine time with a few friends here... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Joy, Bliss and Encore all have this venue...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

My cruise on the Joy was my last cruise b4 C-19 hit.  The views were wonderful, the staff at the bar were so accommodating, made it  a really a special experience. My cruise wasn't long enough, 5 days, never again, gimme mo... lol 

cheers 🥂

BTW, wine time with a few friends here... 

Thanks @All-ready2cruise. I was wondering if the Observation Lounge had a bar & you answered my question. Yeah, I can imagine myself in the OL sitting in one of those cushy chairs or sofas looking out all those glass windows at that incredible view with my "adult beverage of choice" in hand. With a bar being right there in the OL as well, all I can say is "how convenient". Refills would not be a problem...

Cheers 🍻

BTW, just a couple of beers with my pizza for me...

59 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks @All-ready2cruise. I was wondering if the Observation Lounge had a bar & you answered my question. Yeah, I can imagine myself in the OL sitting in one of those cushy chairs or sofas looking out all those glass windows at that incredible view with my "adult beverage of choice" in hand. With a bar being right there in the OL as well, all I can say is "how convenient". Refills would not be a problem...

Cheers 🍻

BTW, just a couple of beers with my pizza for me...

As far as the OB goes, it's absolutely the best.  Wonderful bar, great bar staff... sitting there watching the ship leave the port, amazing view.  Even the limited buffet... includes fruit, breaky favourites... anything as far as appy goes. I saw some pax just sitting there watching the views, others, however, decided to use the long couches to sleep while others were just absorbing the ambiance and the views.  I could never fall asleep with such wonderful views in front of me.  Loved it.  

I actually booked the Bliss for Oct 22 based on this experience on the Joy.  

BTW, had a nice wino meeting this evening for our thanksgiving celebration. Some who joined in will have family meet ups other will just meet with friends here.

Cheers 🥂

Connie 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

As far as the OB goes, it's absolutely the best.  Wonderful bar, great bar staff... sitting there watching the ship leave the port, amazing view.  Even the limited buffet... includes fruit, breaky favourites... anything as far as appy goes. I saw some pax just sitting there watching the views, others, however, decided to use the long couches to sleep while others were just absorbing the ambiance and the views.  I could never fall asleep with such wonderful views in front of me.  Loved it.  

BTW, had a nice wino meeting this evening for our thanksgiving celebration. Some who joined in will have family meet ups other will just meet with friends here.

Cheers 🥂

Connie 

Good morning Connie @All-ready2cruise, the Observation Lounge sounds really great and I hope to experience it someday. Yeah, I read here on CC about pax sleeping on the couches in the OL. I can't understand such behavior - if you want to sleep, go to your room! Also, disrespectful to fellow pax who may not be able to get a couch in the OL to actually observe (like you).

Is your Oct 22 Bliss cruise this year or next (2021)? If this year, has it been cancelled (by you or NCL)?

Well, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving (tomorrow)! Here in the U.S., I understand that our traditional Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC this year will not be a live attended event and that some form of it will only be on TV, due to the corona virus pandemic. Very sad, as it will definitely not be the same as we're used to. I'm glad that you will be able to celebrate your Thanksgiving with family & friends. I hope you have a great time!

And an early Thanksgiving cheers 🥂 from me!

Marty

Good Morning Marty, @farmersfight my Bliss cruise in Oct. 23, 2022, sorry, got interrupted while I was typing, I didn't complete my thoughts and didn't realize our meet up was earlier than normal.  Anyway, it's just a 7 day cruise from 1 of my favourite cities, Vancouver to LA.

Thank you for your well wishes for our Thanksgiving.   I won't really be doing anything special this year. My son decided that since the kids are back in school, it might not be such a good idea.  Glad I didn't buy a turkey.  Normally, I'd be busy getting things ready for a huge dinner but, not this time. As far as the Macy's parade goes, I think it's the right thing to do, getting control over C-19 should be the most important thing on anyone's wish list.  

Have a great day 😉

Cheers 🥂 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

A couple differences in the OL:

• On Bliss, the Garden Cafe has an open balcony over the OB and the noise can drift down during prime dining times. On Joy, the GC balcony is glassed in so it's quieter.
  • On Bliss, the OL bar is circular and in the middle of the floor up front. On Joy, it's along a wall. Great place to get a Moscow Mule regardless of location.
  • On Bliss, there's no Starbucks in the OL but there is a full-service one on 6 across from Guest Services. Joy has a limited-menu Starbucks here as well as the deck 6 full-service one.
  • Otherwise, it's still the same magnificent, comfortable space with the inexplicable sleepers here and there.

After having sailed on Bliss, I deliberately booked a deck 15 cabin on Joy so I could be close to the OL. I also had figured out on my Bliss trip that the OL is open for embarkation day lunch; on Joy I made a beeline first for the restaurant reservations to book my solo table for Ocean Blue, and then zoomed up to the OL (use the aft elevators on embarkation day!) for a stress-free lunch. Yum, flatbreads.

If all goes well, I'll return to the cruise life aboard Bliss next April. Fingers crossed and masks on...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I also had figured out on my Bliss trip that the OL is open for embarkation day lunch

Yup.  On my second trip in Bliss last year (it's been almost a year since that cruise!!??) I was with a couple who hadn't yet been on the ship.  Our embarkation was delayed quite a while due to a Coast Guard inspection, I then gave them a tour of the ship and grabbed some of the finger foods as we made our way through the OL.  We never did a sit-down lunch.

• Like 2