New York To Boston Route

bob brown

I am booked on next year's "Northern Odyssey", from New York, 53 days to the Baltic via Greenland and Iceland, and return.

Today, we received an email from Oceania with some intinerary changes.   One of them, was substituting Boston for Bar Harbor.   I've been to both many times, so really don't care, either way.  But I was wondering if this would open up the possibility of us transiting the Cape Cod Canal enroute?   I have never been thru that, and it would be a big highlight, even if it was at night.   I know the Insignia has transited it before, but usually when calling also at Newport....

On our 16 day  Miami to Montreal cruise  in 2018 we were having diner at a window table in the MDR, after leaving NYC en route to Boston, and I saw a bridge!

There was not suppose to be any bridges while "Cruising the Atlantic Ocean", as the April 27 day was described in Currents. 

Inquiring about the bridge we were informed that Marina was going thru the Cape Cod Canal.

The bridge was quite a surprise!

Also, since the waters of the St. Lawrence River were too high  for the  Marina to navigate under the bridges to Montreal, the cruise had to end in Trois- Rivieres . Oceania had  tents and buses waiting for the ship and we were transported to the Montreal air port at no additional change.

The  passengers, for the next cruise at the Montreal air port, were then bused to the Marina at Trois-Rivieres!

Oceania Cruises do  wonders to take excellent care of their guests !

Unfortunately, due to the virus and our concerns for our health, we decided to cancel our upcoming November 23rd Miami Caribbean trip on the Riviera. After instructing our TA of our decision  we received out deposits back from Oceania is just a few days. Again, Oceania takes excellent care of their customers.

Hopefully, we will be able to cruise again in 2021.

Prior to being recommended to Oceania, I had not cruised since the 1960s on the Home Lines ships

(i. e. Homeric and Oceanic) which had an entire Italian crew. It was like being in Italy!

I feel that Oceania Cruises are as good and even better than the old Home Lines.

I can't answer your question OP, but your question brought up a wonderful memory for me.

It was my first cruise on Chandris Britanis.  We went through (Buzzard's Bay) Cape Cod Canal.  It was right around the 4th of July and many people were at their smaller summer homes, campfires lit, colorful lights strung out.  We went by so close we were able to talk with them!  It is one of my favorite cruise memories.  I hope you go through it!

17 hours ago, bob brown said:

I am booked on next year's "Northern Odyssey", from New York, 53 days to the Baltic via Greenland and Iceland, and return.

Today, we received an email from Oceania with some intinerary changes.   One of them, was substituting Boston for Bar Harbor.   I've been to both many times, so really don't care, either way.  But I was wondering if this would open up the possibility of us transiting the Cape Cod Canal enroute?   I have never been thru that, and it would be a big highlight, even if it was at night.   I know the Insignia has transited it before, but usually when calling also at Newport....

I so hope this is an option!!!   We sailed Regatta, October 2016,  NY to Montreal.  After a stop in Newport,  with the next day being Portland, ME the captain came on just before we left to say we had been given permission to transit via the Cape Cod Canal.  It rates up in my top 10 cruising memories. Fingers crossed to be able to experience this again.

38 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Why doesn’t the OP ask her TA to ask the question to Oceania? 

Hi, pinotlover, looks like you already have started on today’s bottle of pinot! 😁

(But it was I, not you, who just yesterday evening confused Joe Watters and Bob Binder!)

Edited by CintiPam

2002 1er Cru Nuits Saint-George with dinner for us! 🥂 🍷 A delightful Pinot!

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Hi, pinotlover, looks like you already have started on today’s bottle of pinot! 😁

(But it was I, not you, who just yesterday evening confused Joe Watters and Bob Binder!)

I have a decanter and know how and when to use it.

I have a Travel Agent and I know how and when to use her. All reliable information on any cruise best comes from her via either her expansive knowledge of Oceania or from her contacts inside the Oceania hierarchy. 

I don’t be judge, as some seem to do, any monies my TA makes. I never hesitate to seek her counsel on any question. 

28 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

2002 1er Cru Nuits Saint-George with dinner for us! 🥂 🍷 A delightful Pinot!

I have a decanter and know how and when to use it.

I have a Travel Agent and I know how and when to use her. All reliable information on any cruise best comes from her via either her expansive knowledge of Oceania or from her contacts inside the Oceania hierarchy. 

I don’t be judge, as some seem to do, any monies my TA makes. I never hesitate to seek her counsel on any question. 

My posting simply was in reply to your suggestion that the OP contact HER travel agent! 

(BTW, I very much like and contact my Oceania-knowledgeable TA for all things relating to my delightful Oceania cruises.  May another happen soon!)

On 9/24/2020 at 10:21 PM, bob brown said:

But I was wondering if this would open up the possibility of us transiting the Cape Cod Canal enroute?   I have never been thru that, and it would be a big highlight, even if it was at night.

We live on Buzzards Bay and take our own little boat through the canal often. It is great fun to see the excitement on here about something in our own backyard. I remember one night we were having dinner on the Bay and to our amazement we saw an Oceania ship (I think it was Insignia) going by... such a treat! I found this video which I think captured it and is kind of fun. Maybe this will help to "hold you over" until you (hopefully) get to experience our little canal. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clairol said:

We live on Buzzards Bay and take our own little boat through the canal often. It is great fun to see the excitement on here about something in our own backyard. I remember one night we were having dinner on the Bay and to our amazement we saw an Oceania ship (I think it was Insignia) going by... such a treat! I found this video which I think captured it and is kind of fun. Maybe this will help to "hold you over" until you (hopefully) get to experience our little canal. 

Wow!   That's some cool video...thanks for posting it!!

Was it taken with a 'drone'?

Edited by bob brown

15 hours ago, bob brown said:

Wow!   That's some cool video...thanks for posting it!!

Was it taken with a 'drone'?

Great news from your TA! Maybe we will have to come out in our little boat to say hi! 

I wish I could lay claim to the video but we did not take it - I just found it on youtube and thought it was cool.