Hotel

sasue

6 hours ago, sasue said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel in Ft. Lauderdale? We didn't care for the one we stayed in last year,. It was close to the Boatyard restaurant, but that's the only positive we found. 

Howdy @sasue from a fellow Texan! emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic boards! I see it has been awhile since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread on the Celebrity Cruises forum that is for questions concerning Celebrity Cruises. 👍 Since your thread concerns hotels in a specific port of call, I have moved your thread to the Florida Departures forum where it will be on-topic. That's the spot for Florida hotel, transportation, dining & embarkation information.

Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you. 

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!

OP - what didn't you like about the other hotel and what are you looking for now?  Also it would be helpful to know your travel dates and budget since prices vary considerably between low season and high season or at least did in pre-covid times (who knows how prices will react when cruising begins again).

We enjoyed the Hyatt Place 17th St also.  It is within walking distance to a big shopping center with a Publix and several restaurants that were great for breakfast, an Outback located just up the street and a lovely Italian restaurant right next door (name escapes me right now)

Rooms were very comfortable and clean and the hotel had a nice little pool area.

4 hours ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

We enjoyed the Hyatt Place 17th St also.  It is within walking distance to a big shopping center with a Publix and several restaurants that were great for breakfast, an Outback located just up the street and a lovely Italian restaurant right next door (name escapes me right now)

Rooms were very comfortable and clean and the hotel had a nice little pool area.

Our favorite in this shopping center (Harbor Shops) is Duffy's.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info. Dates and budget will help the suggestions to be closer to your target.  Dates vary by the season - the $300+ room in February can go for under $100 in August.

It would help to know what hotel you stayed at before and what your budget is. Also what you didn't like about the hotel.

Close to the Boatyard Restaurant are the Hilton, Renaissance, Embassy Suites and Holiday Inn Express. The HIE is the only one I wouldn't choose.

Because I am going to limited to what I can book on AA miles, I will be staying at Hilton Marina, Riverside, or Hyatt Place. FLL really depends on what you are looking for and how close to things you want to be near. If it is for sleep and shower, then most places will suit your needs. If you want nearby entertainment, things to do, etc, then it will be more selective. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Orlando Vic said:

And you can get a nice discount if you book through www.valuetrips.com

Yes and I used to...but now the breakfast isn't included.

My last time there (Oct 2019) I booked using my Hyatt membership..included breakfast

and my rate was less than VT....something to consider.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:51 AM, Ashland said:

OP what do you consider good ?

For us the Hyatt Place near 17th Street was good enough.

I stayed here at the Hyatt Place in 2008 Thanksgiving pre-cruise.  Right behind the Renaissance, Publix and Total Wines and More right next door. Outback Steakhouse at the end of the parking lot.

Sure it's "good enough" but that's about it, free shuttle to the port was a NIGHTMARE. Actually that was the last hotel I've ever stayed in Ft. Lauderdale that's not on the beach. 

Done Hotwire ever since got GREAT Hotels The W and Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach several times around $110 a night. Best locations on A1A got the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach in  2013 for $90 a night. Only way to go don't stay over there near the port it's boring 😴😴 stay over on the beach. Same price, promise!😉 Todd

50 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

I stayed here at the Hyatt Place in 2008 Thanksgiving pre-cruise.  Right behind the Renaissance, Publix and Total Wines and More right next door. Outback Steakhouse at the end of the parking lot.

Sure it's "good enough" but that's about it, free shuttle to the port was a NIGHTMARE. Actually that was the last hotel I've ever stayed in Ft. Lauderdale that's not on the beach. 

Done Hotwire ever since got GREAT Hotels The W and Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach several times around $110 a night. Best locations on A1A got the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach in  2013 for $90 a night. Only way to go don't stay over there near the port it's boring 😴😴 stay over on the beach. Same price, promise!😉 Todd

For people new to Fort Lauderdale a couple of things to consider in TTEllis' comment:

• The Hyatt Place is right behind the Embassy Suites (the Renaissance is closer to Port Everglades) but still in an excellent location.
  • Hotel prices in Fort Lauderdale vary significantly according to the season.  Summer is the low ("wet"/hurricane) season, winter is the high ("dry"/tourist) season and the same room can vary more than $100 depending upon the season. 
  • To add to TTEllis' recommendation of staying at the beach -- if you are staying more than overnight the beach is a good location.  I would also encourage you to think about downtown (Las Olas Blvd).  In addition to the venerable Riverside Hotel a few new hotels have opened in the past 2 years.  Downtown has a wide variety of restaurants, galleries, boutiques and museums in addition to a water taxi stop and the dock for the Carrie B sightseeing boat.

19 hours ago, TTEllis said:

If you're talking about the shuttle from Hyatt Place...you're wrong....it's not free and a taxi or Uber is always our choice

to get from that hotel to Port Everglades.

Agree with the poster that pointed out the Hyatt sits behind Embassy Suites and next to the Harbor Shopping center.

Same one the shuttle was free, not worth it. Had I known transportation to Port Everglades was going to be like that I would have called a taxi. Had dinner at the Outback. Walked to Total Wines and picked up my wine order. Also picked up a sub from Fireside. 

Had I known that the Hyatt Place was NOT a real Hyatt I would have never stayed there. Place was PACKED, staying here was such a mistake that I've never stayed in the port area since and won't.👎

When we stayed last October 2019 the Hyatt Place charged $2.00 per room from FLL to the hotel and charged $10.00pp from hotel to PE.

Not sure what you mean by Hyatt Place "NOT" being a real Hyatt ?

It is a busy pre/post cruise hotel and also one that is used by many airline flight crews.

Sorry it wasn't up to your standards. Best of luck staying where you'll be more comfortable.

Many of us have no problem with this hotel...I personally have preferred it over the Embassy Suites.

• Like 1

Busy, I didn't get any sleep it was always something. $10 to PE, I would have paid that but it was Free total nightmare, the shuttle driver was pissed off at everybody I just wanted out. 

It is absolutely NOT a real Hyatt, the location back in that hole sucks. I thought I booked the Hyatt Pier 66 down the street. You live and learn. I don't know anything about Embassy Suites other than we have one here in Charleston that blows ass. 

20 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Busy, I didn't get any sleep it was always something. $10 to PE, I would have paid that but it was Free total nightmare, the shuttle driver was pissed off at everybody I just wanted out. 

It is absolutely NOT a real Hyatt, the location back in that hole sucks. I thought I booked the Hyatt Pier 66 down the street. You live and learn. I don't know anything about Embassy Suites other than we have one here in Charleston that blows ass. 

Hmmm.....Booking the wrong hotel....Yikes...don't make that mistake again.

• Like 1

I stay for the past 5 years at the Best Western Oceanside, FLL.  It is 100 yards from the ocean, bar, $ washer/dryer,  Sun Trolley and regular bus outside the hotel, normally free hot breakfast, bar food with the virus it might be different.  The staff is very friendly.  No shuttle from airport - taxi about $30 and port - taxi about $14.  They have an outside shuttle to the port, Feb 2020 it was $7/pp.

Last time I left out of Ft. Lauderdale I stayed at Th Holiday Inn Express on 17th. Was a short walk to the Port if you want to get up early and see the ships before you head in. Price was also pretty good and included breakfast. Transfers to the Pier was i think about $10 or $15.

We are leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale in December 2021 and will most likely try to stay there the night before again

On 10/18/2020 at 11:38 AM, phabric said:

I stay for the past 5 years at the Best Western Oceanside, FLL.  It is 100 yards from the ocean, bar, $ washer/dryer,  Sun Trolley and regular bus outside the hotel, normally free hot breakfast, bar food with the virus it might be different.  The staff is very friendly.  No shuttle from airport - taxi about $30 and port - taxi about $14.  They have an outside shuttle to the port, Feb 2020 it was $7/pp.

I love this hotel!  One of my favorites.

Just want to clear up that the beach from Sunrise to 17th Street is a small area that includes Las Olas Boulevard.  While I don't care for 17th Street, the areas are so close together its only few minutes difference from one area to the next.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, TTEllis said:

It is absolutely NOT a real Hyatt, the location back in that hole sucks. I thought I booked the Hyatt Pier 66 down the street

Like Ashland, I was wondering what you meant by it not being a real Hyatt.  Thank you for explaining.  

Pre-Covid, a hotel's service expectations can vary even within a given brand let alone when there are multiple brands under a hotel companies umbrella.  Post-Covid, I think this "issue" may become even more noticeable.