Final payment question

Philip11

I booked a Nov 2022 cruise at the end of Sept and paid the deposit. I was told by Viking final payment was Dec 2020. When I questioned why so much in advance and I was a loyal Viking customer (4 prior cruises) he told me it was due to the “promo” on discounted fares being offered. Promo ended Oct 1, fares did not increase, so I called Viking and requested my final payment date be moved to 6 months prior to sail date. I knew that probably wouldn’t be honored but all they could say was no. Viking finally agreed to a Nov 2021 date. I guess I got lucky🙂

2 hours ago, VJMAZZ said:

I booked a Nov 2022 cruise at the end of Sept and paid the deposit. I was told by Viking final payment was Dec 2020. When I questioned why so much in advance and I was a loyal Viking customer (4 prior cruises) he told me it was due to the “promo” on discounted fares being offered. Promo ended Oct 1, fares did not increase, so I called Viking and requested my final payment date be moved to 6 months prior to sail date. I knew that probably wouldn’t be honored but all they could say was no. Viking finally agreed to a Nov 2021 date. I guess I got lucky🙂

You got lucky, in that they even agreed to move the pay in full date.

Normally, regardless of how many prior cruises you have unless you have a future cruise already booked, the best you can hope for final payment is 12 months prior to sailing, which is just about what they conceded.

Not sure if this is an Australian only thing - but when I booked a cruise in early September departing late January 2023, the final payment is only due in late September 2022.  Four months prior to departure date.

Edited by Canberra601

9 hours ago, Canberra601 said:

Not sure if this is an Australian only thing - but when I booked a cruise in early September departing late January 2023, the final payment is only due in late September 2022.  Four months prior to departure date.

UK, NZ and AU have different payment schedules than US/CAN market. PIF may be only 4 months out but the deposit is larger and more of it is at risk should the guest decide to cancel. This is because the laws of commerce are different from country to country. 

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

UK, NZ and AU have different payment schedules than US/CAN market. PIF may be only 4 months out but the deposit is larger and more of it is at risk should the guest decide to cancel. This is because the laws of commerce are different from country to country. 

Yes, interesting how these things differ from country to country.  In my case, I only had to put a $AUD500 deposit per person, with the remainder due four months prior to sailing.   Perhaps a special deal in Australia as an incentive to get people to make bookings.