Birth certificates?

Lshriver

Can I use birth certificates as my kids’ documentation for getting on the msc Armonia?? The reason I’m asking is because under my account to fill out passenger info is only the option of passport or National ID (what is that?). My husband and I have passports but not my kids. On Carnival they used birth certificates.

8 hours ago, Lshriver said:

Can I use birth certificates as my kids’ documentation for getting on the msc Armonia?? The reason I’m asking is because under my account to fill out passenger info is only the option of passport or National ID (what is that?). My husband and I have passports but not my kids. On Carnival they used birth certificates.

According to MSC customer service this morning, 27 September,  "MSC does not accept birth certificates as proof of identity for boarding"  To answer your other question about ID's,  many european countries provide national ID cards to citizens or residents. 

Also, when I was on the Armonia in March 2020, the on board procedures for disease control was strict.

One mother was particularly upset because her child who was allowed on board ship with "just a cold, no fever," was refused the use of the onboard children's program.  Also, at least one family that was the next table over from us were placed into quarantine when both  one of the children and the mother identified as being unwell at dinner on the second night of the cruise.

Thank you for all your info! We have only been on one cruise and it was carnival so we are newbies. We only ever used the Children’s program for our kids. They are too little to roam the ship anyway to do the other activities on their own and I didn’t know Carnival allowed that. We hope they enjoy the children’s program on the Armonia but mostly we plan on being at the pool area/Splash pad and two days in Ocean Cay!  We eat meals with them anyway so I’m not worried about that and we really do use this as a “family” vacation. Thanks!

On 9/26/2020 at 6:02 PM, Lshriver said:

FWIW - passport is the #1 document of choice.

However, currently, it is still local for US citizens on closed loop cruises from a US port that visit solely WHTI countries  are still quite fine to use a certified state birth certificate and government issued photo ID, and any bridge docs if one has had a name change. MSC follows the laws in the countries they are ported in, just like other lines.  Lots of people have been just fine on various US departures with BC and photo ID. 

Of course, 100% completely recommended and advised to get a passport. If there is any type of emergency while you're off on your cruise, you'll need to work with the nearest US consulate to get emergency documents issued so you can fly if needed.  

Enjoy. 

3 hours ago, Lshriver said:

Thank you for all your info! We have only been on one cruise and it was carnival so we are newbies. We only ever used the Children’s program for our kids. They are too little to roam the ship anyway to do the other activities on their own and I didn’t know Carnival allowed that. We hope they enjoy the children’s program on the Armonia but mostly we plan on being at the pool area/Splash pad and two days in Ocean Cay!  We eat meals with them anyway so I’m not worried about that and we really do use this as a “family” vacation. Thanks!

As you do plan to have a "family" vacation, you will love MSC. 

MSC also usually has things such as strollers and children's toys available for borrowing. I don't know where the location is on the Armonia  for this equipment.

As I said,  I was eyeing the children's area in the pool and, an added bonus on the Armonia, the gelato is free (stand located just aft of pool area, the children's section is on the forward end of the pool area).

7 hours ago, reedprincess said:

FWIW - passport is the #1 document of choice.

However, currently, it is still local for US citizens on closed loop cruises from a US port that visit solely WHTI countries  are still quite fine to use a certified state birth certificate and government issued photo ID, and any bridge docs if one has had a name change. MSC follows the laws in the countries they are ported in, just like other lines.  Lots of people have been just fine on various US departures with BC and photo ID. 

Of course, 100% completely recommended and advised to get a passport. If there is any type of emergency while you're off on your cruise, you'll need to work with the nearest US consulate to get emergency documents issued so you can fly if needed.  

Enjoy. 

While this is true, it is the option of the cruise line to require all guests to have passports.  Many of the premium/luxury lines do this.  EM

On 9/28/2020 at 11:36 PM, Essiesmom said:

While this is true, it is the option of the cruise line to require all guests to have passports.  Many of the premium/luxury lines do this.  EM

Which lines supersede US law and requires  a passport on US closed loop departures to WHTI countries? Thanks.

And FWIW, MSC is neither a premium nor luxury line, and is 100% (or at least has been prior to the halt in operations ) in line with my post..

11 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Which lines supersede US law and requires  a passport on US closed loop departures to WHTI countries? Thanks.

Virgin Voyages requires a passport. According to CBP, it is within their right to do so. Can speak from personal experience with this one. Can't speak for other lines.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:04 AM, crazyank said:

According to MSC customer service this morning, 27 September,  "MSC does not accept birth certificates as proof of identity for boarding"  To answer your other question about ID's,  many european countries provide national ID cards to citizens or residents. 

This may be true for European sailings. However, per the Director of USA Operations, MSC Cruises USA operating in the Caribbean does not supersede the CBP requirements which can be a Birth Certificate (plus photo ID if 16 or older), assuming it is a roundtrip sailing. BTW, this is the department that physically approves boarding documents at the pier and coordinates with CBP if not in compliance..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

This may be true for European sailings. However, per the Director of USA Operations, MSC Cruises USA

operating in the Caribbean does not supersede the CBP requirements which can be a Birth Certificate (plus photo ID if 16 or older), assuming it is a roundtrip sailing. BTW, this is the department that physically approves boarding documents at the pier and coordinates with CBP if not in compliance..

OK,  have it your way.  but answer a couple questions,  how old is your info?  What I posted was less than two hours old when I posted it.  Also,  if Virgin requires a passport what makes you think MSC can't/won't?  Policies change.

20 hours ago, reedprincess said:

And FWIW, MSC is neither a premium nor luxury line, and is 100% (or at least has been prior to the halt in operations ) in line with my post..

From a well know online travel agency:

• The following cruise lines require a passport for all sailings, regardless of destination or port of departure: Azamara, Crystal, Cunard, Hurtigruten, Oceania, P&O, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Seabourn, SeaDream, Silversea, Star Clippers and Windstar.
  •  
  • Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises that visit islands in the French West Indies (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin and Saint Barts) require a valid passport regardless of departure port. 

I don't think the part about Saint Martin is correct unless you are docking on the French side.  And we were never asked about passports when crossing from Dutch to French side.  

One also needs to be careful of the itinerary that the OP might be sailing.

As I have been on MSC closed loop cruises that call in ports that require passports for cruise ship passengers, a passport could very well be required for their cruise.

I don't know but when I try to go into my MSC cruise account and put in my family's info the only options I have for on-board documentation is either a National ID or passport.  So if it would include birth certificate wouldn't it say it there?? We are already looking into passports.  Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, reedprincess said:

Oceania is another cruise line that requires "all passengers" to have a valid Passport.  As to MSC's category I think one could say it depends on what "MSC Experience" you choose.  For those of us who elect the Yacht Club it is something akin to a luxury line while those in other Experiences might class it as something akin to Carnival.  

Hank

2 hours ago, starfish the second said:

We have sailed MSC from Miami with just birth certificates on their web site you can find the info 

Have you read the thread. If so, you would have learned that your experience may not hold true for the OP's cruise.

• 2 years later...

So what happened? Do they take birth certificate?  My wife and have passports but our 6 kids do not.  37 days away from embarkation. My MSC Concierge said BC is fine for my kids.  Only going to Ocean Cay. Can't do the web check in because it asks for passport or ID for my kids. 

3 hours ago, Kuzzinpaul said:

So what happened? Do they take birth certificate?  My wife and have passports but our 6 kids do not.  37 days away from embarkation. My MSC Concierge said BC is fine for my kids.  Only going to Ocean Cay. Can't do the web check in because it asks for passport or ID for my kids. 

Yes BC's are fine if your on a closed loop cruise to carribean departing from FL. We have cruised MSC 2x in past and both my wife and I used BC and DL for ID purposes...and BC for my preteen grandson.  Note: if any of your children are 16 or over they will also need a state issued photo ID 

Edited by lcpagejr

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 12:44 AM, lcpagejr said:

Yes BC's are fine if your on a closed loop cruise to carribean departing from FL. We have cruised MSC 2x in past and both my wife and I used BC and DL for ID purposes...and BC for my preteen grandson.  Note: if any of your children are 16 or over they will also need a state issued photo ID 

Hi.  I booked a cruise on msc assuming it was fine to use my birth certificate.  However I'm having trouble printing my boarding pass online and I wonder how you inputted the documents for web check in.  There are only passports and national IDs as choices, so I checked national ID and put my driver's license in.  I wonder if that is why I can't print the boarding pass.  Can you please explain how it worked for you?

• Like 1

Folks.  You will be fine if you can’t print your eTicket. You will just need  to complete the health questionnaire for each guest at checkin. It does add a few minutes, but it will not keep you from either going through security or checking in at the terminal. As others have mentioned before you can just enter a series of 9’s for the passport number and that will often get you through online checkin. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2022 at 2:16 AM, Jessab said:

Hi.  I booked a cruise on msc assuming it was fine to use my birth certificate.  However I'm having trouble printing my boarding pass online and I wonder how you inputted the documents for web check in.  There are only passports and national IDs as choices, so I checked national ID and put my driver's license in.  I wonder if that is why I can't print the boarding pass.  Can you please explain how it worked for you?

Did you have any issues with traveling without passport? I am in the same situation with MSC and the customer service has been no help after several phone calls. I have only sailed carnival so I have no experience with MSC. Thanks