NZ by Princess cruise or land tour?

drsel

I don't think there is any point in a tourist trying to see everything. They can really only hit the high spots. For NZ I suggest a three-week tour would cover those high spots.
Thanks, which itinerary do you recommend for a budget tour of Australia and /or New Zealand

1 minute ago, drsel said:
3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:
I don't think there is any point in a tourist trying to see everything. They can really only hit the high spots. For NZ I suggest a three-week tour would cover those high spots.

Thanks, which itinerary do you recommend for a budget tour of Australia and /or New Zealand

In both countries I recommend driving, if you are comfortable with that option. How long would you have for the trip?

If I do a separate land tour of New Zealand I could give one month.

but I am not comfortable driving on unknown roads, especially in the wilderness, where there is no one to help you if anything goes wrong.

We usually use public transport, which is very efficient in Europe.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

They want to spend 3-4 days at every spot, that would take 6 months at least.

Why don't you read through the info supplied to Mr Walker in the thread I quoted early and see if any of that fits for you. Then look up the accommodation websites to get an idea of prices. 

If that's too hard for you then go talk to a travel agent.

10 hours ago, drsel said:

If I do a separate land tour of New Zealand I could give one month.

but I am not comfortable driving on unknown roads, especially in the wilderness, where there is no one to help you if anything goes wrong.

For New Zealand, and also for Australia, public transport would not work well for a sightseeing trip. It only works if you want to travel from 'A' to 'B'. NZ isn't large compared with Australia and a tourist wouldn't travel in many 'wilderness' areas. If you are not comfortable driving, I suggest a package tour by coach when this sort of tour gets started again. Choose one that does both the North and South Islands. Many Aussies choose that way to sight-see in NZ, even though driving there wouldn't be very difficult for us because it is on the same side of the road. 

For a sightseeing trip to Australia I recommend a combination of flying and touring. The country is so vast, it would take too long to do a road trip to the main scenic areas The main areas to see would be -

1. Sydney - around five days sightseeing in Sydney and with day trips out from there.

2. Fly to Uluru (Ayers Rock) - 3 days to see Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon (don't do this in mid summer)

3. Fly to Cairns - 3 days to have a trip to the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.(don't do this in mid summer)

Add in two extra days to re-locate from each area to the next and the above comes to 14 days.

If there is more time add some other areas -

4. Melbourne - 3 to 4 days (Melbourne City, Great Ocean Road, Phillip Island)

5. Hobart - 4 to 5 days (Hobart City, Port Arthur, Bruny Is day trip, Mt Field National Park)

There are a lot of areas that I have not mentioned in the above list, but overseas visitors have limited time and, as always, a limited budget. That is why I have included what I feel are the "must see" places. Other people will probably disagree and suggest other places as well.

• Like 1

It really come down to what you would like see.....

ie museums, art galleries, historic building... or scenery or train trips or boat trips

maybe food and wine......

Once you decided what type of thing you would like to see... then you can start to narrow it down..... if not you could take a guided tour to show you highlights.....

Lots of things...... Cheers Don

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

For New Zealand, and also for Australia, public transport would not work well for a sightseeing trip. It only works if you want to travel from 'A' to 'B'. NZ isn't large compared with Australia and a tourist wouldn't travel in many 'wilderness' areas. If you are not comfortable driving, I suggest a package tour by coach when this sort of tour gets started again. Choose one that does both the North and South Islands. Many Aussies choose that way to sight-see in NZ, even though driving there wouldn't be very difficult for us because it is on the same side of the road. 

For a sightseeing trip to Australia I recommend a combination of flying and touring. The country is so vast, it would take too long to do a road trip to the main scenic areas The main areas to see would be -

1. Sydney - around five days sightseeing in Sydney and with day trips out from there.

2. Fly to Uluru (Ayers Rock) - 3 days to see Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon (don't do this in mid summer)

3. Fly to Cairns - 3 days to have a trip to the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.(don't do this in mid summer)

Add in two extra days to re-locate from each area to the next and the above comes to 14 days.

If there is more time add some other areas -

4. Melbourne - 3 to 4 days (Melbourne City, Great Ocean Road, Phillip Island)

5. Hobart - 4 to 5 days (Hobart City, Port Arthur, Bruny Is day trip, Mt Field National Park)

There are a lot of areas that I have not mentioned in the above list, but overseas visitors have limited time and, as always, a limited budget. That is why I have included what I feel are the "must see" places. Other people will probably disagree and suggest other places as well.

That itinerary a pretty good basis to start with. Covers most of the "must see" for international tourists.

I agree with most a land tour if you really want to see NZ a cruise if you don’t want the hassle of packing and unpacking every few days.

Cost comes down to what level of luxury you want and what membership benefits you may be entitled to. We tend to stay low market motels and cabins, but our own breakfast cereal and makings for lunch (a loaf of bread some ham or half a BBQ chicken etc), then look at less expensive dinner options like pubs and clubs. And can usually get by in the $200 range, but then you will need to add a hire car (and petrol) if you wish to self drive. Plus admission to any locations that charge admission not to forget souvenirs for self or others. I am also loathe to skimp on the little things when travelling, like a snack when driving or an ice cream on a hot day So tend to budget between $400 -$500 a day for two, keeping track so if we decide to splurge on better accomodation or meal from time to time we can do so.

• Like 2

Mr Gut and I think alike here. Did the North Island NZ last February.

We had a rental car (Go Rentals NZ). Booked budget motels and found all were clean and comfy. Booked two nights in some places where there is a lot to see/do e.g. Rotarua, Paihia (Bay of Islands), Waitomo (glow worm caves). Spaced overnight stops so that interesting places can be visited en route.

We pre booked some attractions where it was essential due to popularity, e.g. Hobbiton (Rotarua), Black Water Rafting (Waitomo).

I've been to NZ about 6 or 7 times, 2 of those were land tours, the others werer cruises. There's still a lot I haven't seen.

Now planning South Island tour for later this year or early next year except we wont' be able to cruise back to Sydney like we did last February. 

One thought just came to mind that would be a must for anyone interested in vintage aviation. Warbirds Over Wanaka air show which is held every two years. This years' was cancelled. Next will be Easter 2022.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:26 PM, drsel said:

I don't know if this is what you want to do in Australia but heads up public transport is not as efficient as Europe🙄

When I plan a trip the first thing I do is make a list of my must visit sites. That tends to dictate the rest of the planning. I think once you know what you want to visit it will be easier to work out the how 😉

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Yes done already. In Australia we are planning to visit

Perth 4n

Melbourne 4n

Sydney 7n

Gold coast 6n

Cairns 4n.

When you're on the Gold Coast, what are your thoughts for filling those 6 nights?  Are you basing yourself there and daytripping to Brisbane and surrounds?  

4 hours ago, drsel said:

Perth 4n

Melbourne 4n

Sydney 7n

Gold coast 6n

Cairns 4n.

Maybe you are planning to have 6 nights on the Gold Coast are so you can relax on the beach. When we travel overseas we consider each day to 'cost' us a proportion of the air fare, so to spend so long relaxing in the beach is an expensive way to do it. You can relax on a beach in your own country at a lower cost. 🙂

If your visit to Australia is to see the sights and experience the country, I feel you could re-consider the plan. If it was my first visit to Australia I would plan a trip something like the following:

Perth - maximum 3 nights (preferably in the Southern Spring when wildflowers are in bloom - spectacular) include Rottnest Is.

Melbourne - maximum 3 nights

Sydney - 4 nights (maximum 5 nights)

Brisbane/Gold Coast - 2 nights. Even though I live in Brisbane I don't feel this is a "must-see".

Cairns - 3 or 4 nights

Uluru/Alice Springs - 4 nights. This shows a totally different part of Australia.

Hobart - 3 nights (Port Arthur and stunning National Parks)

Darwin - maybe consider a couple of nights but this isn't a "must see" on a short trip.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe you are planning to have 6 nights on the Gold Coast are so you can relax on the beach. When we travel overseas we consider each day to 'cost' us a proportion of the air fare, so to spend so long relaxing in the beach is an expensive way to do it. You can relax on a beach in your own country at a lower cost. 🙂

If your visit to Australia is to see the sights and experience the country, I feel you could re-consider the plan. If it was my first visit to Australia I would plan a trip something like the following:

Perth - maximum 3 nights (preferably in the Southern Spring when wildflowers are in bloom - spectacular) include Rottnest Is.

Melbourne - maximum 3 nights

Sydney - 4 nights (maximum 5 nights)

Brisbane/Gold Coast - 2 nights. Even though I live in Brisbane I don't feel this is a "must-see".

Cairns - 3 or 4 nights

Uluru/Alice Springs - 4 nights. This shows a totally different part of Australia.

Hobart - 3 nights (Port Arthur and stunning National Parks)

Darwin - maybe consider a couple of nights but this isn't a "must see" on a short trip.

Fantastic thoughts there ... as a fellow Brisbanite,  I see 6 nights at the Goldy as 6 nights too many 😉  

In various threads, drsel has spoken about visiting cities and comparing to Europe.

I think that she/he needs to do some homework on the nature of Australia and New Zealand. Get a very clear picture of what our cities are like, and where points of interest really are.

Take 4 nights in Perth, through in Fremantle.  One corner of a state of 1 Illini square miles. Even to visit the Margaret River region, wine food scenery big waves, is about 3 hours drive each way. 

drsel needs to work out what really is of interest, then plan an itinerary around that.

11 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

In various threads, drsel has spoken about visiting cities and comparing to Europe.

I think that she/he needs to do some homework on the nature of Australia and New Zealand. Get a very clear picture of what our cities are like, and where points of interest really are.

Take 4 nights in Perth, through in Fremantle.  One corner of a state of 1 Illini square miles. Even to visit the Margaret River region, wine food scenery big waves, is about 3 hours drive each way. 

drsel needs to work out what really is of interest, then plan an itinerary around that.

I agree with your comments. In the Perth/Fremantle area I feel the main attractions are a few historic sights in both cities, Rottnest Island and (in Spring) the wildflowers. The Pinnacles north of Perth are OK, but look more impressive early or late in the day rather than the middle of the day. We have never been impressed with the Margaret River area. I feel the best thing about it is the name - it sounds good, but it doesn't warrant a full day with a lot of driving. Other attractions in WA are too far away from Perth to be seen on a short visit (Kalbarri Nat Park, the Pilbara, the tall trees of the SW, Cape Le Grand National Park).

6 hours ago, drsel said:

Perth 4n

Melbourne 4n

Sydney 7n

Gold coast 6n

Cairns 4n.

I am not sure I would class that list as must see sites. I was really referring to something more specific like Sydney Opera House or Rottnest Island. You just listed some cities without saying why you want to visit them🤔. Australian cities have points of interests but they are not really tourist attractions of themselves like in Europe. 

1 hour ago, V_icki_e said:

Fantastic thoughts there ... as a fellow Brisbanite,  I see 6 nights at the Goldy as 6 nights too many 😉  

Too right, 3 nights at the Goldy would be ample, even if you wanted to do a couple of the theme parks.

Get over to Tasmania for a  week, fantastic place.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The main issue is that drsel hasn't given any indication what their interests are.

I think four nights in Perth is reasonable given they'll be travelling for a considerable time to get there from the East Coast. That's one full day around Perth, another in Fremantle  and a day trip to Rottnest.

Four nights for Melbourne is also reasonable but seven nights for Sydney may be too long. Five nights would probably do.

Six nights for the Gold Coast is way too many.

I'd also suggest Port Douglas rather than Cairns if drsel want to snorkel the GBR and see the Daintree. 

But I think drsel is going to be in for a major shock if s/he thinks getting around Australia will be as easy as getting around Europe.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The main issue is that drsel hasn't given any indication what their interests are.

I think four nights in Perth is reasonable given they'll be travelling for a considerable time to get there from the East Coast. That's one full day around Perth, another in Fremantle  and a day trip to Rottnest.

Four nights for Melbourne is also reasonable but seven nights for Sydney may be too long. Five nights would probably do.

Six nights for the Gold Coast is way too many.

I'd also suggest Port Douglas rather than Cairns if drsel want to snorkel the GBR and see the Daintree. 

But I think drsel is going to be in for a major shock if s/he thinks getting around Australia will be as easy as getting around Europe.

Too right, most of us travellers have met foreigners who are thinking the undoable, I met some Germans one time in a cafe in Hahndorf, SA, they were going to drive overnight to Ayers Rock !!  Mein Gott !!!  😁

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Too right, most of us travellers have met foreigners who are thinking the undoable, I met some Germans one time in a cafe in Hahndorf, SA, they were going to drive overnight to Ayers Rock !!  Mein Gott !!!  😁

Always a useful reminder of just how huge Australia is...

europe-in-australia.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

As I said in an earlier post, the only way to see several areas in Australia, is to fly from 'A' to 'B', then 'B' to 'C' etc.