Favorite Cruise Ship Excursion

MeganGC1983

Aruba was full of firsts for us--first port on our first cruise, and first snorkel. We didn't use a ship excursion, but instead just booked a catamaran sail from Eagle Beach that took us out after lunch to snorkel over the shipwrecked freighter and then closer inland over some coral reefs in shallower water. A few years later we were there again on a cruise, but with two friends who were more comfortable using a ship tour. It was nearly identical to what we had done independently, except the ship tour used a catamaran company that included a little bit of food, music, and dancing (and of course drinks--they all have that). If anything, the second time was probably more fun because of the extra activities. 

Aruba is one of those ports where it really isn't at all necessary to use ship-based tours under normal circumstances. And there are several good independent operators for island tours. It's easy enough to do a beach day on your own, but as the OP mentioned, for a time ship tours may be required.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have never done a ships tour on Aruba in over 10 visits and can't imagine getting snagged up in one on this awesome island.

If one of the restrictions when cruising resumes is that we have to take a ships excursion to get off the ship. To imply that would deter individuals from cruising including myself would be a huge understatement. 

The last thing anybody needs right now is another restrictive scam pulled on us, especially on our vacation. I would never cruise with restrictions and don't like that word associated with my vacation. Todd

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, MeganGC1983 said:

It’s looking like once cruising resumes, we will have to take ship excursions. Which Aruban ship excursion has been your favorite and why? 
We are in port for so long, we will probably have time to do two! Hoping to hear about some great experiences. TIA!

Well when we went to Aruba on a cruise with Royal Caribbean a few years ago we booked a Jeep tour through RCCL. It was fun and at the end of the drive through all of the tourist stops we went to a very nice beach for about an hour or so and then went back to the ship. I hope this helps. We have been back to Aruba a couple of times since then and have done other things on our own and if the restrictions are lifted i suggest you look on your own as the prices are usually better.

Happy sailing!!!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sealeggs said:

Well when we went to Aruba on a cruise with Royal Caribbean a few years ago we booked a Jeep tour through RCCL. It was fun and at the end of the drive through all of the tourist stops we went to a very nice beach for about an hour or so and then went back to the ship. I hope this helps. We have been back to Aruba a couple of times since then and have done other things on our own and if the restrictions are lifted i suggest you look on your own as the prices are usually better.

Happy sailing!!!

Thank you! So much has changed but so much has stayed the same in the last 5 weeks. I’m not even sure if we will get to go on this cruise now. Who even knows if we do if we will port in Aruba. Awaiting info now. We hope to go to Aruba some day. 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

• 10 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 3:15 PM, flipflops55 said:

We did not cruise but took a  8 day trip to Aruba last July. We rented all day quads or 4 person razors unguided, it was an amazing day. You can do 1/2 day as well. Place was not far from cruise port.  We circled the entire island from the light house to Baby Beach. Best time ever saw the entire island.