Marina and Nautica at shipyard in Genoa and Sirena anchored nearby

lj77346

Those alterations were probably installed awhile back or as soon as they were available.  These ships are just returning from an over 24 hour run, basically running around in circles at 7-10 knots, just east of Corsica.  Unless ships have a certain maintenance (like cars in storage, its engine should be warmed up every 2-3 weeks) that is necessary.  Running a ship for over 24 hours even if it is going around in circles implies they are testing something (like how effective are the new air filters in public areas) or just testing any new onboard procedures.  NCL still have ships going around in circles in Europe, presumably testing out new materials or procedures.  Perhaps, NCL/Oceania are expecting cruising to return in November.  I hope so.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Those alterations were probably installed awhile back or as soon as they were available.  These ships are just returning from an over 24 hour run, basically running around in circles at 7-10 knots, just east of Corsica.  Unless ships have a certain maintenance (like cars in storage, its engine should be warmed up every 2-3 weeks) that is necessary.  Running a ship for over 24 hours even if it is going around in circles implies they are testing something (like how effective are the new air filters in public areas) or just testing any new onboard procedures.  NCL still have ships going around in circles in Europe, presumably testing out new materials or procedures.  Perhaps, NCL/Oceania are expecting cruising to return in November.  I hope so.    

The ships have to move to make fresh water and discharge waste water, both of which have to be done a prescribed distance offshore. That is the most likely reason for the movement. It does not imply testing any new onboard procedures or materials.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hook up to the water/sewarage system in Genoa (where they are docked) than run the ship for over 24 hours at 7-10 knots?  Also, they were running around in circles about 20 miles east of Corsica.  Do ships discharge waster water 20 miles from an inhabited island in the Med.?   You could be right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hook up to the water/sewarage system in Genoa (where they are docked) than run the ship for over 24 hours at 7-10 knots?  Also, they were running around in circles about 20 miles east of Corsica.  Do ships discharge waster water 20 miles from an inhabited island in the Med.?   You could be right.

First there would have to be suitable hookups for the ships to connect to and  from what I've seen in my travels they may not be universally available in ports. Second they would have to pay to use a city's water and sewer systems while this costs them nothing beyond the fuel they're burning...and AFAIK fuel prices are very low right now. It also provides the opportunity to ensure the engines are functioning properly.

My recollection is that they only have to be 12 nautical miles offshore to discharge treated waste water.

4 hours ago, schmerl said:

Did the Marina ever go in for the refurbish that was scheduled for last May?

Postponed. Her next drydock period will be 12th - 24th May 2021 in Marseille, France.

From the most recent information that I have received, Oceania ships will enter drydock in:

Marina: 12 May - 24 May 2021, Marseille

Riviera: 20 Oct - ?? 2020, Genoa

Nautica: 18 Jul - 4 Aug 2021, Marseille

Insignia: 14 Nov - 27 Nov 2021, Curacao

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Postponed. Her next drydock period will be 12th - 24th May 2021 in Marseille, France.

From the most recent information that I have received, Oceania ships will enter drydock in:

Marina: 12 May - 24 May 2021, Marseille

Riviera: 20 Oct - ?? 2020, Genoa

Nautica: 18 Jul - 4 Aug 2021, Marseille

Insignia: 14 Nov - 27 Nov 2021, Curacao

Well, assuming we get to travel, we will be the second cruise after Marina's drydock.  I can live with that.  Being the first cruise afterwards would give me pause.

2 hours ago, bapaleg said:

Regatta was in dry dock in 2019 right.

Yes.

The OceaniaNEXT refurbishment plan:

Insignia will be the first to debut on December 7, 2018, followed by Sirena in May 2019, Regatta in September 2019, and Nautica in June 2020.

Hence Nautica is the remaining R Class ship that hasn't undergone the OceaniaNEXT upgrade (as the planned work in 2020 was delayed).

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

Something's up.  Nautica, Marina, Riviera, and Sirena are traveling 7-10 knots just northeast of Corsica - thanks to cruisemapper.com.  Don't think it is about discharging water as they could have done that last weekend.  NCL has 4 ships moving around also, the Getaway, Breakaway, Epic, and the Star.  Unless these ships have to be moved once a week for maintenance purposes, these might be the ships that are chosen to restart cruising for Oceania and NCL.  Hope so.  I have a cruise on Dec. 3rd on the Riviera.

Might I suggest for the usual suspects, the Nanny No No’s, that these movements suggests that these particular ships are not in neither cool nor cold layup based upon their current movements.

Panic is obviously erupting among the Nanny No No’s that some might be sailing in the next few months while they plan on hunkering until at least 2022. 

Hunker on down if that’s what you need to do!  🥴. Happy Sailing to some, Happy Hunkering for others! Each to their own. 🥂

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

On marine traffic  it has the destination  for Riviera, Sirena  as La Spizia  where they left from

Nautica  & Marina back to Genoa

They are just out for  a spin 😉

This is their 2nd spin in a week for 3 of those ships and the 1st spin lasted well over 24 hours, maybe 36 hours and they are a little southeast of Corsica right now.

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

There is  NO news on when they will be sailing..

Jancruz1

We would like reconciliation of this with your post about nothing sailing until after 1 February. Did you mean “ there is NO news on when they will be sailing After 1 February ? Or, are you walking that earlier posting back?

There was supposed to  some kind of news Friday about  the ships..but since the President is sick..nothing was firmed up..thats all I know..

sorry

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

12 hours ago, Jancruz said:

There was supposed to  some kind of news Friday about  the ships..but since the President is sick..nothing was firmed up..thats all I know..

sorry

Jancruz1

VP Pence was supposed to be at that meeting, but they had to postpone it because the VP had to be check out for the virus.  Supposedly, a meeting may occur this week.  We know more today.  

I was, until this morning, supposed to be on the Sirena Istanbul-Dubai in November.

We were going through the Suez Canal right after Thanksgiving.

If the Sirena doesn’t keep its Canal passage date, or shortly thereafter, you can count all of her following cruises cancelled regardless of any official announcements.

5 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

VP Pence was supposed to be at that meeting, but they had to postpone it because the VP had to be check out for the virus.  Supposedly, a meeting may occur this week.  We know more today.  

48 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

So dead Zone, 

What is happening???

Jancruz1

According to Royal Caribbean CEO and chairman Richard Fain, nothing specific is happening beyond "the lines of communication remain open and we expect the dialogue to continue productively".

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5644/

""Many of you know that we were scheduled to meet with the CDC and with the COVID-19 taskforce on Friday," Fain said. "Unfortunately, the unexpected announcement of the President and various White House officials testing positive caused that particular meeting to be postponed."The lines of communication remain open, and we expect the dialogue to continue productively," he said."

Edited by njhorseman

55 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I was, until this morning, supposed to be on the Sirena Istanbul-Dubai in November.

We were going through the Suez Canal right after Thanksgiving.

If the Sirena doesn’t keep its Canal passage date, or shortly thereafter, you can count all of her following cruises cancelled regardless of any official announcements.

Why?  The 1st cruise for the Sirena is Dec. 11th.  It is less then two weeks from Genoa (or La Spezia) where the ship is docked to Dubai.  Sirena doesn't have to stop anywhere in between.  The only reason that I could think of where they will canceled those cruises is if so few people signed up for them that it is much greater benefit to Oceania to cancel them than to do the cruise.  Sampling a few cruises in Dec. and Jan., majority of the categories are wait-listed so why would Oceania cancel them even limiting them at 60% capacity?