Not good news

Manx buoy

I don't think this is particularly unexpected. Wherever we go, there's a risk of catching covid. I think as Mole said in the past, it's not about trying to avoid all cases, the important thing is how its dealt with once the cases have been identified i.e hopefully not locking everyone up on the ship for 2 or more weeks. 

• Like 2

Interesting.  This report suggests 150 crew, but I doubt the full facts are clear yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/28/crew-first-post-lockdown-greek-cruise-contract-coronavirus-maltese

My guess is, though, that the 150 figure shown is incorrect.

Edited by Harry Peterson

44 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Never going to avoid... its how its dealt with.

If dealt with well, this will be a positive for the cruise industry in showing it has changed.

Thoughts with the infected people on board though.

Absolutely.

If the covid19 cases are dealt with well by the cruiseline it would give confidence to most people worried about cruising that it is being handled well on board. 

• Like 1

It was going to happen sooner or later, and in the case of Mein Schiff 6 it’s happened very soon after her return to sea.

Now we get a chance to see how an outbreak onboard is dealt with.

However, looks as if the cruise is over as far as port visits are concerned. 

45 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting.  This report suggests 150 crew, but I doubt the full facts are clear yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/28/crew-first-post-lockdown-greek-cruise-contract-coronavirus-maltese

My guess is, though, that the 150 figure shown is incorrect.

Just to update this, the Guardian have now changed their 150 to 12.

• Like 2

According to Tradewinds (info from coastguard, apparently) it is 12 crew members.

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/greek-cruise-return-suffers-blow-as-coronavirus-breaks-out-on-tui-ship-in-aegean-sea/2-1-882775

It will also be interesting to see how the ports react - even if the cruise line has it totally under control, if ports start refusing to accept ships because of any outbreak, that will be bad news for all of us.

ADDED: I have a feeling that how ports and countries react is going to turn out to be a bigger problem than how cruise lines cope with an outbreak.

Edited by nosapphire
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

ADDED: I have a feeling that how ports and countries react is going to turn out to be a bigger problem than how cruise lines cope with an outbreak.

And therein, as a few of us have banged on about for a while, lies the problem.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That does not say much for the quality of the Guardians investigative journalism.

https://kreuzfahrttester.com/2020/09/28/mein-schiff-6-corona/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0edGAu0tj6V2vdR_t8enqjPD7_qpFN20G5Ne9ysdwZrEpcGzfmwz01evA

Google translate should assist unless you're fluent in German

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That does not say much for the quality of the Guardians investigative journalism.

See post above. And it was one of the first, if not the first, UK newspapers with the story. The Guardian also corrects any errors, unlike certain tabloids which fabricate stories built on lies, and never retract them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nosapphire said:

According to Tradewinds (info from coastguard, apparently) it is 12 crew members.

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/greek-cruise-return-suffers-blow-as-coronavirus-breaks-out-on-tui-ship-in-aegean-sea/2-1-882775

It will also be interesting to see how the ports react - even if the cruise line has it totally under control, if ports start refusing to accept ships because of any outbreak, that will be bad news for all of us.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head there.

If those infected are seen to be well cared for and to get prompt and appropriate medical treatment. If there is an effective system of quaranteen onboard which prevents the outbreak spreading. If the cruise otherwise proceeds as normal with port visits as planned. Then it will give others confidence to cruise again. If these criteria are not met however, it could be one step forward two steps backward as far as the cruise industry is concerned. I am hopeful that the cruise line will have sorted the onboard aspects before sailing recommenced, surely they must have been be aware of the potential bad publicity if they had not. But I am less confident of the reaction of future ports of call.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

The cases were found in respect of crew, after the ship left its home port.

You gave to question how good the crew testing and quarantine have been as part of this ship’s restart. This is the bit that the cruise line have control over.

If passengers had brought it onboard, or post excursion then I would have sympathy but at the point indicated it currently suggests that their crew embarkation procedures are not up to scratch.

• Like 3

The person posting on the thread on the Celebrity board says that the crew in question have been re-tested on board and are all negative!

According to this report all of the crew are going to be tested tomorrow in Piraeus. http://www.chaniapost.eu/2020/09/28/covid-19-testing-for-entire-crew-of-mein-schiff-6-cruiseship-once-it-arrives-in-piraeus-on-tue/

Even if they are all negative, this has caused uncertainty and confusion 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The cases were found in respect of crew, after the ship left its home port.

You gave to question how good the crew testing and quarantine have been as part of this ship’s restart. This is the bit that the cruise line have control over.

If passengers had brought it onboard, or post excursion then I would have sympathy but at the point indicated it currently suggests that their crew embarkation procedures are not up to scratch.

I had the same thoughts exactly Moley, this does not reflect well on TUI or RCI who I believe are JV owners of Mein Schiff.

So far MSC are way ahead of the others in how they are handling the restart.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The person posting on the thread on the Celebrity board says that the crew in question have been re-tested on board and are all negative!

I've just seen a video saying some, if not all, were negative and none had any symptoms

Surely such a big mistake couldn't happen.... could it!!!!!

• Like 1