Not good news

Manx buoy

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

If that is correct no crew members have it that’s good news, but if we would have been onboard we would be less than happy and the holiday would have been spoilt, anybody know a good lawyer 

I’m afraid this will be part of the ‘new normal’ with cruises. The possibility of false positives causing upheaval and spoiling the holiday experience. Or, if the original tests were correct and the ones on board are false negatives, the possibility that COVID is already spreading on the ship.

None of this has changed my mind. I’ll be avoiding cruises for the foreseeable future 

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is there anyone on this site who wants to cruise again ?. Perhaps with all the doom and gloom on here, ex cruise critic may be appropriate.

If cruising is allowed to restart before our July booking, then we will definitely be onboard.  Only a ridiculously hiked insurance fee or obscure govt directive about not allowing pesky Yorkshiremen to cruise, will stop us. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is there anyone on this site who wants to cruise again ?. Perhaps with all the doom and gloom on here, ex cruise critic may be appropriate.

I definitely want to cruise again. The one I have booked is next September so I’m hoping things will be so much better. 
Obviously the nearer we get to payment date I might move it depending on what’s happening. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If cruising is allowed to restart before our July booking, then we will definitely be onboard.  Only a ridiculously hiked insurance fee or obscure govt directive about not allowing pesky Yorkshiremen to cruise, will stop us. 

We have cruises booked for June and August. I expect they will go. If ,perhaps early next year, cruises from the UK start up we will sneak one in. If the experts give approval we will go and 

accept that they are doing their best, but perhaps may make a mistake, or two along the way. If the insurance gets silly the travel companies will provide their own. I said that months ago and that is now happening. If folks are intent on living their lives in a cocoon, so be it. But many, like me will get on and enjoy cruises.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bazrat said:

If that is correct no crew members have it that’s good news, but if we would have been onboard we would be less than happy and the holiday would have been spoilt, anybody know a good lawyer 

No test is 100% accurate - all the quick-type tests, and even some of the slow-type tests, will have false positives and false negatives.

Not sure about the lawyer bit...if the crew were flown in and embarked with only a quick test and no pre-embarkation quarantine, then there is a case.

Otherwise, anyone taking any form of holiday during these uncertain times will be accepting that there is a risk of disruption and a spoiled holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Reading elsewhere the crew members who tested positive and then negative were tested with 'quick' kits which may be less reliable. The crew will be retested once they reach Pireus.

Still in isolation until they get their results from the Piraeus I hope!

Avril

40 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I’d hazard a guess that there’s nobody here who doesn’t want to cruise again. 

But safely, of course, at an affordable cost, and without such restrictions as might spoil the experience altogether.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’d hazard a guess that there’s nobody here who doesn’t want to cruise again. 

But safely, of course, at an affordable cost, and without such restrictions as might spoil the experience altogether.

I agree Harry. We should be  excitedly getting ready for our cruise now, as will many more on here, and some should already be cruising. It's not surprising that there is some despondency, but that doesn't mean mean we're not looking towards next year and refusing never to cruise again. 

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Let you into a secret there are no cruises from the uk in the foreseeable future 🤪

My crystal ball tells me that the first P&O cruise set to sail from Southampton is due on 6/3/21. I should know, I’m booked on it!  

My crystal ball also tells me, even if it sails, I won’t be on it. 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I would love to go on a cruise ship again. But not while the cruise experience is a shadow of the freedom that I knew and loved.

Also, we are discussing and reacting to current events. Surely we should be free to say what we honestly feel, negative or positive? 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have cruises booked for June and August. I expect they will go. If ,perhaps early next year, cruises from the UK start up we will sneak one in. If the experts give approval we will go and 

accept that they are doing their best, but perhaps may make a mistake, or two along the way. If the insurance gets silly the travel companies will provide their own. I said that months ago and that is now happening. If folks are intent on living their lives in a cocoon, so be it. But many, like me will get on and enjoy cruises.

Everything is so binary these days.

Why would you think that, just because people might not want to go on a cruise, they are living in a cocoon? 

There plenty of other things you can do to enjoy life without going on a cruise.

I’m sending this message from my cocoon  in the M&S Cafe ! 😂

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A general question to all those who want to go on a cruise next year? 

Are you comfortable with the idea that your cruise could be disrupted at a moments notice, by one positive test, even if it turns out to be a false positive? 

I would rather that things were more settled, not just for cruising but for everything in general. But if its a choice of no holiday or taking a holiday whilst accepting the risk that things could change last minute, I'll go for the latter. That's just the way everything is at the moment. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Why would you think that, just because people might not want to go on a cruise, they are living in a cocoon? 

There plenty of other things you can do to enjoy life without going on a cruise.

I agree.

We were at the Lake District one day Last week and Gretna Green another day.

Our nearest local beach is 10 minutes drive away so we regularly take a picnic and sit in the car or walk along the promenade.

Graham.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Are you comfortable with the idea that your cruise could be disrupted at a moments notice, by one positive test, even if it turns out to be a ofalse positive? 

Our February 20th 2021 Iona cruise has already been cancelled by P&O so just watching how things develop especially since our area has gone into a more restrictive lockdown.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I would love to go on a cruise ship again. But not while the cruise experience is a shadow of the freedom that I knew and loved.

Also, we are discussing and reacting to current events. Surely we should be free to say what we honestly feel, negative or positive? 

+1.

Since my mild heart attack last December the government Health advice has taken the decision away from us unless we want to void our insurance.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I would rather that things were more settled, not just for cruising but for everything in general. But if its a choice of no holiday or taking a holiday whilst accepting the risk that things could change last minute, I'll go for the latter. That's just the way everything is at the moment. 

We will all need to deal with the new normal. We all wish that things were different, but they are not. As this is cruise critic I dispare at the negative attitude of some. Being positive seems to be a concept that proves difficult to grasp. TUI are trying to test the water ( pun intended) some are wishing that it fails. CDC in America may give ok this week, maybe not. If people believe they don't want to cruise in the foreseeable future, fine, but please don't keep banging on and trying to inflict that opinion on me. Off to the US forums. Not quite so sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Absolutely, you are definitely entitled to your opinion just as much as I am the opposite view.

Are you comfortable with the idea that your cruise could be disrupted at a moments notice, by one positive test, even if it turns out to be a false positive? 

This might be where we differ, I am hoping that sensible protocols are agreed with all parties involved, Cruise lines, embarcation ports, ports of call, and any govt with jurisdiction in the areas visited. So that no Diamond Princess situation is repeated, and that any quarantine is limited to those testing positive, and that these arrangements are agreed by all parties to allow the cruise to continue as planned.

I do hope that your M&S cafe is not allowing customer to serve themselves to Gateau, as the Pudsey one was when we visited.