Not good news

Manx buoy

47 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A general question to all those who want to go on a cruise next year? 

Are you comfortable with the idea that your cruise could be disrupted at a moments notice, by one positive test, even if it turns out to be a false positive? 

We all have our differing reasons to decide whether to cruise again or not. That is a personal decision to make and should be respected. My reason may sound a little maudlin, but here goes. As I've got older I've learned that nothing in life is certain, and this pandemic only reinforces that. We look forward to our cruises each year and enjoy everyone of them. This year is over and so we're looking looking forward to the two we have next year, one in June the other in October. If they sail we will certainly be on them, because who knows what lies ahead. While we are fit and healthy enough to still cruise we will. Some have many more years ahead of them to be able to wait a year or two before cruising again, we don't have that luxury, and have to take the opportunities as they arrive. I'm always an optimist, just a realistic one.😁

Avril

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I would rather that things were more settled, not just for cruising but for everything in general. But if its a choice of no holiday or taking a holiday whilst accepting the risk that things could change last minute, I'll go for the latter. That's just the way everything is at the moment. 

That’s your choice, but I choose not to spend thousands of pounds on an experience that could go pear shaped at a moments notice or even not happen at all.

i will wait until a time when things are more settled and when the cruise  looks a bit more like a holiday than a rigorously controlled ordeal.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We will all need to deal with the new normal. We all wish that things were different, but they are not. As this is cruise critic I dispare at the negative attitude of some. Being positive seems to be a concept that proves difficult to grasp. TUI are trying to test the water ( pun intended) some are wishing that it fails. CDC in America may give ok this week, maybe not. If people believe they don't want to cruise in the foreseeable future, fine, but please don't keep banging on and trying to inflict that opinion on me. Off to the US forums. Not quite so sad.

Just because I’m not rushing around saying ‘woo hoo’ I’m going on a cruise in March doesn’t mean I’m negative, it means I’m realistic. 

We are at the start of what looks to be a tough winter. Nothing much is going to change between now and March, so it looks unlikely that the FCO are going to suddenly remove the no sail advice. 

Looking at the handful of cruises that have sailed, the onboard experience is very controlled and can be disrupted at a moments notice by a positive test, even if it is a false positive. 

Then we come to the ports. Most of them are in Spain for my March cruise, which is currently experiencing a second wave of Covid. I think it is most unlikely that they’ll be opening up for cruise ships in just over 5 month times.

I’m dealing with the new normal - but for me, it doesn’t include cruising for quite some time.

i respect your right to post your views about cruising, so I expect you to return the favour, even if what I say makes you feel uncomfortable. 

• Like 5

Two cruises booked next year will be going on them if government says it’s ok to go, other people on here are against going on there cruises till it all goes away there choice which I totally and completely agree with, I just wished they wasn’t so vocal about it.

For instance we have a regular poster on here who seams paranoid about there fcc not showing up on there account, no matter how many times there told it will appear they still post about it not showing we have two not showing but p&o told it will closer to the cruise date.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I do hope that your M&S cafe is not allowing customer to serve themselves to Gateau, as the Pudsey one was when we visited.

No, they serve the gateau to the customer in our M&S

Their QR code doesn’t work on the Serco app, though. You still have to scan the QR code with the camera on your phone and complete your details on a web page. 

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Two cruises booked next year will be going on them if government says it’s ok to go, other people on here are against going on there cruises till it all goes away there choice which I totally and completely agree with, I just wished they wasn’t so vocal about it.

For instance we have a regular poster on here who seams paranoid about there fcc not showing up on there account, no matter how many times there told it will appear they still post about it not showing we have two not showing but p&o told it will closer to the cruise date.

Everybody is repeating themselves on here, including yourself. 

You’d rightly be upset if I suggested to you that I wished you weren’t so vocal about your desire to cruise as soon as you possibly can. 

However, I wouldn’t dream of doing that, as you, like me, have every right to give our opinions about cruise related subjects, as long as we adhere to forum rules. If you don’t like a post, just scroll on - don’t expect people to stop posting just because you don’t like what they say. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Just because I’m not rushing around saying ‘woo hoo’ I’m going on a cruise in March doesn’t mean I’m negative, it means I’m realistic. 

We are at the start of what looks to be a tough winter. Nothing much is going to change between now and March, so it looks unlikely that the FCO are going to suddenly remove the no sail advice. 

Looking at the handful of cruises that have sailed, the onboard experience is very controlled and can be disrupted at a moments notice by a positive test, even if it is a false positive. 

Then we come to the ports. Most of them are in Spain for my March cruise, which is currently experiencing a second wave of Covid. I think it is most unlikely that they’ll be opening up for cruise ships in just over 5 month times.

I’m dealing with the new normal - but for me, it doesn’t include cruising for quite some time.

i respect your right to post your views about cruising, so I expect you to return the favour, even if what I say makes you feel uncomfortable. 

I have said you are entitled to your views, but your recent posts seem to be arguing that your view is the only sensible one, and like a Baptist preacher you seem determined to try your damdest to convert any unbeliever.

You have made your point about why you will not cruise under the likely  new protocols, and that's fine by me. But I hold a different view and I would very much like to hear you say that's fine by you, without any added rider.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I agree entirely.  There are some posters here (one in particular) who seem to object to any kind of free discussion if it involves mentioning any concerns about returning to cruising.

We're all different.  We all have individual situations and individual concerns.  I simply can't understand why anyone would object to that.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have said you are entitled to your views, but your recent posts seem to be arguing that your view is the only sensible one, and like a Baptist preacher you seem determined to try your damdest to convert any unbeliever.

You have made your point about why you will not cruise under the likely  new protocols, and that's fine by me. But I hold a different view and I would very much like to hear you say that's fine by you, without any added rider.

Eh? 

I’ve just replied to one of your messages, saying that I agreed that with you that we are are all entitled to our opinions ...... now it turns out that you aren’t so keen to hear alternative opinions either!

i will say, once and for all. You are welcome to your  view, and I have no desire to change your view or anyone else’s.

i try to express my views clearly and concisely. Some people find this challenging - but I would appreciate it if you don’t make personal comments and assumptions.

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree entirely.  There are some posters here (one in particular) who seem to object to any kind of free discussion if it involves mentioning any concerns about returning to cruising.

We're all different.  We all have individual situations and individual concerns.  I simply can't understand why anyone would object to that.

Indeed, I haven’t been a regular poster for very long, but I’ve noticeD at least one valued forum member has been driven away due to comments from another member. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Eh? 

I’ve just replied to one of your messages, saying that I agreed that with you that we are are all entitled to our opinions ...... now it turns out that you aren’t so keen to hear alternative opinions either!

i will say, once and for all. You are welcome to your  view, and I have no desire to change your view or anyone else’s.

i try to express my views clearly and concisely. Some people find this challenging - but I would appreciate it if you don’t make personal comments and assumptions.

Quite. There’s an inexplicable intolerance amongst a small number of posters towards anyone suggesting there might be an alternative view to their own.

We all have our own views, but I’m delighted to see other views, and to discuss logically.  Why is that such a problem?

• Like 3

I'm one of those who will not even be considering a cruise until 2022.

That is my decision.

Others will cruise again as soon as possible.

That is their decision.

The majority of posts I have seen from people who intend to be back on board as soon as possible make it clear they have considered the risks, factored in the possibility of ports being closed, limited excursions, and restrictions on board, and decided they will still enjoy being back on board.

What on earth is there to criticise about that?

Those of us who are not ready to cruise will find something else to keep us occupied.

Those who are ready to cruise will still have a good time,  and good sailings to them all, I say.

• Like 6

So after all that can we agree that those given the chance of a cruise will be there cruising 

and the ones that cannot or have no desire to cruise in the near future have our full blessing ,

Not that they need it as it is their own choice regardless of what others may think.

Some of us have no choice at the moment due to medical reasons as had been said we

had the choice taken out of our hands ,so come on guys chill out and be thankful you 

do have a choice .:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Apart from that , looking good isn't it? My comfort on this forum is of no importance, nor are my views. Cruise critic boards are forums for people to discuss their past and future cruises. Saying, " I'm not going to cruise ever,in the foreseeable future, while there's an R in the month "etc seems to negate it's purpose. Just saying. Now back to the USA.

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Apart from that , looking good isn't it? My comfort on this forum is of no importance, nor are my views. Cruise critic boards are forums for people to discuss their past and future cruises. Saying, " I'm not going to cruise ever,in the foreseeable future, while there's an R in the month "etc seems to negate it's purpose. Just saying. Now back to the USA.

It's a cruising forum. So we discuss all aspects of cruising, even our decision not to cruise.

These boards are for us all to use, so if you don't like any of my posts, just scroll on by. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Indeed, I haven’t been a regular poster for very long, but I’ve noticeD at least one valued forum member has been driven away due to comments from another member. 

Actually he left because he mentioned the fact he believed that those who wanted to cruise were his guinea pigs and we’re determined to cruise at any cost, I found those comments objectionable because I replied we’re not his guinea pigs and we would not on any account put our safety at stake for his benefit, he objected to my reply and left totally his choice but I was not nasty spiteful mean etc just objected to his comments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Actually he left because he mentioned the fact he believed that those who wanted to cruise were his guinea pigs and we’re determined to cruise at any cost, I found those comments objectionable because I replied we’re not his guinea pigs and we would not on any account put our safety at stake for his benefit, he objected to my reply and left totally his choice but I was not nasty spiteful mean etc just objected to his comments.

I actually think that the more people don't cruise the more room for us. When we get back we can tell everyone what a marvelous time we had. 

7 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

To be honest, it wasn't your comments that I was thinking of ! 

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Eh? 

Our posting crossed,  so my apologies if my comments upset you, that was certainly not what I intended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We all have our differing reasons to decide whether to cruise again or not. That is a personal decision to make and should be respected. My reason may sound a little maudlin, but here goes. As I've got older I've learned that nothing in life is certain, and this pandemic only reinforces that. We look forward to our cruises each year and enjoy everyone of them. This year is over and so we're looking looking forward to the two we have next year, one in June the other in October. If they sail we will certainly be on them, because who knows what lies ahead. While we are fit and healthy enough to still cruise we will. Some have many more years ahead of them to be able to wait a year or two before cruising again, we don't have that luxury, and have to take the opportunities as they arrive. I'm always an optimist, just a realistic one.😁

Avril

Absolutely agree Avril. Life is much too short to be locked up unless imposed on us. We have had 2 holidays in Cornwall so far this year, both were fine. We had 3 holidays/cruises cancelled this year and have rebooked them all for 2021. If they get cancelled we will rebook for 2022. If they are not quite as relaxed as we would like, tough luck. We will deal with it . Not quite ready to be a sad old git.........yet😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Absolutely agree Avril. Life is much too short to be locked up unless imposed on us. We have had 2 holidays in Cornwall so far this year, both were fine. We had 3 holidays/cruises cancelled this year and have rebooked them all for 2021. If they get cancelled we will rebook for 2022. If they are not quite as relaxed as we would like, tough luck. We will deal with it . Not quite ready to be a sad old git.........yet😂

Why do you keep going on about being locked up?

14 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

As I've said before and will probably have to repeat no doubt, that it's not ''what is said, but how it's said'' The written word can, unfortunately, be easily misinterpreted. So come on let's agree to disagree and move on, or I can see some time-outs coming😉😄

Avril

• Like 3