Not good news

Manx buoy

My take on it all is simple. I had a life before cruising and I’ll still have a life without cruising. Of course I miss it all, the anticipation, the excitement and the actual cruise. But I can easily live without cruising for a year or two. We’re only our 50s, but I have to consider my parents, the children and their partners and work colleagues too. We’re not locked down here, life goes on. We’ll take some hotel breaks early in the new year and possibly consider self-catering. If cruising resumes and is seen to be ‘safe’, then who knows? The latter half of 2021 could be a possibility but I’m so pleased that I have nothing booked because I wouldn’t want to cruise before then. I understand that some of you are raring to go, that’s fine. And I understand that others are hesitant, and I would place myself in that group. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Indeed, I haven’t been a regular poster for very long, but I’ve noticeD at least one valued forum member has been driven away due to comments from another member. 

I agree.

Selbournes posts were always interesting and I hope he decides to come back.

We love cruising and every one of our 54 cruises was magical.

We like small ships like Aurora but love the biggest ships too.

Since my mild heart attack in December we have to look very seriously at the covid19 implications and government advice for cruising and next summer seems the earliest we might cruise hopefully after having a covid19 vaccine.

Masks and social distancing would be sensible but it will make a totally different experience.

The longer we go without cruising the less we will miss it.

Graham.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite. There’s an inexplicable intolerance amongst a small number of posters towards anyone suggesting there might be an alternative view to their own.

We all have our own views, but I’m delighted to see other views, and to discuss logically.  Why is that such a problem?

Well said Harry.

I always have a flexible mindset and if someone shows me a good reason to change my view I will.

Everyone has a right to post and we should all respect each other in a friendly way as that is the way to change someone's view on an issue not to bully someone into feeling uncomfortable.

Graham.

• Like 3

Its a personal  choice and risk assessment. 

Some people  will stay home 

Some will choose land holidays.

Some will choose a cruise. 

All we all know is nothing is certain,  and we all make our own choices, sometimes  it is not fear of covid but fear of disappointment and another cancellation that restrains people. 

• Like 3

Although I am also at risk of repeating myself, I would say that the Mein Schiff experience does not help those who wish to restart cruising sooner rather than later.

The issue that P&O will have to answer before they can realistically expect anyone to pay for their cruise is what protocols will be in place to manage an outbreak amongst either passengers or ships company whilst on board.  A lot can be said for effective prevention, infection control procedures, the passenger experience etc etc, but this is a novel virus, which can occur spontaneously and asymptomatically amongst previously healthy passengers and crew based on a difficult chain of contacts to map.

The reality will be that no cruises will be most likely be going anywhere from the UK whilst the current "six months" are ahead of us and I'm doubtful of the plans otherwise, however much I want the immediate future to be brighter. 

Being positive, and hoping for a better 2021, there will/should be a vaccine and a phased rollout.  This will not eliminate the above risk, but it will mitigate it.  Some people will accept P&O's and the Government's word for it, others will want their own personal certainty before returning to cruising.  That's personal choice and judgement.  However, most would at least like the information.

I don't accept the argument that P&O can't say, loosely, what they are aiming for, more than six months in - even if they can't say when these plans will come in to effect.  Almost every other sector of the economy, particularly in travel and hospitality now has at least some sort of interim operating model or protocol, or metrics/plan for when normalcy can return, however negative.  The cruise ship industry is an outlier.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...