Travel insurance

Bin man

I had my travel insurance renewal the other day. The premium has gone up by £40, which I thought wasn't too bad.  It's for worldwide cover, but I'm going to phone them and get a quote for Europe only cover, as I doubt if we'll be venturing away from Europe for a long time to come.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bin man said:

just had my update for renewal yearly travel insurance. Expected it to rise but its doubled in price ! Guess another year older covid 19 and a claim for a broken ankle 2 years ago they have marked my cards .

Oh dear double in price,that's not nice of them is it ? 

Have you got a cruise booked ? Are you going on other holidays ?

If the answer is no then I would not renew it and wait until I did book again '

If you do have a cruise then I would book a single policy to cover that cruise .

I found sometimes where I was only doing two cruises in the year it paid for me to insure them 

separate to my annual holiday insurance.rather than pay x52 cruise premiums .

Do a few dummy runs on a comparison site ,it may work cheaper for you as well :classic_wink:

Like Dermotsgirl  ..Why pay for something you know you are not going to use ? 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had my travel insurance renewal the other day. The premium has gone up by £40, which I thought wasn't too bad.  It's for worldwide cover, but I'm going to phone them and get a quote for Europe only cover, as I doubt if we'll be venturing away from Europe for a long time to come.

We took out worldwide insurance in the middle of August having booked the Caribbean for early next year. For a few reasons, we transferred Caribbean to 2022. I contacted insurer and asked to transfer from worldwide to Europe and was allowed to and given pro rata refund without any transfer or admin charge. That’s what I call good service.

• Like 2

Post Brexit, with no certainty of any reciprocal agreements to replace the current EHIC arrangements, prices are bound to rise just to reflect that, let alone Covid.

That, plus the post Brexit ending of the free inclusive mobile calls/data within the EU, is making UK hoildays increasingly attractive. 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Post Brexit, with no certainty of any reciprocal agreements to replace the current EHIC arrangements, prices are bound to rise just to reflect that, let alone Covid.

That, plus the post Brexit ending of the free inclusive mobile calls/data within the EU, is making UK hoildays increasingly attractive. 

Harry, all UK networks are saying they hope that even with no deal,  competition will keep tariffs low, and at present they have no intention of abandoning the roam as at home system.

Here we go again, you can always rely on Harry to drag out discredited project fear lies. Even the BBC failed to find the slightest hint of bad news to justify the claim regarding the loss of free European roaming.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45064268

I have a 3 mobile contract and roamed for free in Europe BEFORE the EU made it compulsory,  have also roamed for free around the world on various wonderful cruises.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, all UK networks are saying they hope that even with no deal,  competition will keep tariffs low, and at present they have no intention of abandoning the roam as at home system.

There’s a big difference between the pre-Brexit situation of being compelled not to charge, John, and the post-Brexit ‘hopes’, which will conveniently be dropped as soon as possible.

Telecoms companies don’t have a track record of acting to save their customers money. Quite the reverse in fact. If they can charge more, which from 1 January they can, they certainly will. 

• Like 1

making UK hoildays increasingly attractive. 

To a certain extent I agree, but whilst we are currently on holiday in Devon, we should have been staying in a villa in Moraira.

So, rather than sitting by the pool, drinking a nice cold rosè in the warm evening sun, we are instead sat inside, debating about putting the electric fire on! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There’s a big difference between the pre-Brexit situation of being compelled not to charge, John, and the post-Brexit ‘hopes’, which will conveniently be dropped as soon as possible.

Telecoms companies don’t have a track record of acting to save their customers money. Quite the reverse in fact. If they can charge more, which from 1 January they can, they certainly will. 

Harry, we only have a few months to wait, then we can see whether you are right, or just an old curmudgeon.😇

1 hour ago, hewhotravels said:

Here we go again, you can always rely on Harry to drag out discredited project fear lies. Even the BBC failed to find the slightest hint of bad news to justify the claim regarding the loss of free European roaming.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45064268

I have a 3 mobile contract and roamed for free in Europe BEFORE the EU made it compulsory,  have also roamed for free around the world on various wonderful cruises.

To be fair, most of the "Project Fear" claims have been true. And some things are going to be even worse than predicted.  Hauliers needing a permit to enter Kent,  for example! 

I used to be involved exporting dairy products to Europe - easy peasy. Now, unless  Gove does a somersault,  it will  be a nightmare. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, most of the "Project Fear" claims have been true. And some things are going to be even worse than predicted.  Hauliers needing a permit to enter Kent,  for example! 

I used to be involved exporting dairy products to Europe - easy peasy. Now, unless  Gove does a somersault,  it will  be a nightmare. 

We’re declaring independence here in the People’s Republic of Kent ! 

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Absolute project fear. Too late it is happening . No politics?. Is that too difficult?

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Absolute project fear. Too late it is happening . No politics?. Is that too difficult?

If you look carefully you'll find I've made no political points. The constant references to so-called project fear are the only political points. 

I'm talking solely about the hard,  cold facts which kick in from 1 January and the likelihood that they'll make UK holidays more attractive.  That's surely a positive. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you look carefully you'll find I've made no political points. The constant references to so-called project fear are the only political points. 

I'm talking solely about the hard,  cold facts which kick in from 1 January and the likelihood that they'll make UK holidays more attractive.  That's surely a positive. 

But only if the weather is better, if not Spain will still be much more attractive.

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't know why you feel to make these boring points about Brexit on every string. Boring.

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I don't know why you feel to make these boring points about Brexit on every string. Boring.

It may be boring to you, but since the entire future of this country and the security of our food supplies from 1 January depend on the outcome of the current negotiations some of us find it of very considerable interest.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It may be boring to you, but since the entire future of this country and the security of our food supplies from 1 January depend on the outcome of the current negotiations some of us find it of very considerable interest.  

I thought that this site was cruise critic and the thread was about insurance. Now you have manipulated it to Brexit. Not interested in your views on Brexit. Sorry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I thought that this site was cruise critic and the thread was about insurance. Now you have manipulated it to Brexit. Not interested in your views on Brexit. Sorry.

Just for the record, here's the original insurance based comment:

"Post Brexit, with no certainty of any reciprocal agreements to replace the current EHIC arrangements, prices are bound to rise just to reflect that, let alone Covid.

That, plus the post Brexit ending of the free inclusive mobile calls/data within the EU, is making UK hoildays increasingly attractive."

Apologies for the typo in holidays, but that apart you do seem very keen to create an argument out of absolutely nothing.  I'm off now - I'm sorry you feel so aggrieved.  🙂

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just for the record, here's the original insurance based comment:

"Post Brexit, with no certainty of any reciprocal agreements to replace the current EHIC arrangements, prices are bound to rise just to reflect that, let alone Covid.

That, plus the post Brexit ending of the free inclusive mobile calls/data within the EU, is making UK hoildays increasingly attractive."

Apologies for the typo in holidays, but that apart you do seem very keen to create an argument out of absolutely nothing.  I'm off now - I'm sorry you feel so aggrieved.  🙂

Well said Harry.  Every aspect of our lives will change on January 1st 2021, including cruising. How much of an impact that will be depends on Gove, as BoJo, as is now all too apparent,  is totally out of his depth. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Bin man said:

just had my update for renewal yearly travel insurance. Expected it to rise but its doubled in price ! Guess another year older covid 19 and a claim for a broken ankle 2 years ago they have marked my cards .

Can I ask you, did try to negotiate with them at all or were they adamant about the price rise?

I’m interested because ours is up for renewal shortly and while I don’t see us travelling abroad anytime soon I was minded to keep the annual insurance going as we currently have pandemic cover which they might continue if we maintain a continuous policy (I’ll see when it comes in).

Im not prepared to pay double the already expensive price. I expected a bit of a rise because of the loss of EHIC cover but not double.

I wonder of older folks or those with health conditions will be priced out of the annual insurance market, time will tell. 

15 hours ago, kalos said:

Oh dear double in price,that's not nice of them is it ? 

Have you got a cruise booked ? Are you going on other holidays ?

If the answer is no then I would not renew it and wait until I did book again '

If you do have a cruise then I would book a single policy to cover that cruise .

I found sometimes where I was only doing two cruises in the year it paid for me to insure them 

separate to my annual holiday insurance.rather than pay x52 cruise premiums .

Do a few dummy runs on a comparison site ,it may work cheaper for you as well :classic_wink:

Like Dermotsgirl  ..Why pay for something you know you are not going to use ? 

I agree, no point in paying for something you aren't going to use however, we did renew our annual insurance recently to retain the cover for Covid still valid for bookings made  before March (was it the19th?) 2020.  As we have a number of cruises booked, it will cover the deposits which significantly exceed the premium.  We had a very civilized discussion with them at the time of renewal and they said we could cancel and take it out again later but we decided to stick.   Perhaps just worth weighing that up if you have a rolling annual policy and are in a similar situation to us.

Our friends recently renewed theirs with the same company and there was no increase in premium, so that was good. 

That promoted some debate as we discussed it - have holiday insurers done well or badly in this crisis?  Are holiday companies picking up the deposit refunds and holiday costs because they cancelled trips (sorry, I know this is a sore point for many as they aren't coughing up in many cases, at least not yet) so that insurers don't have to pay up for some who weren't able to take their holiday, or became ill during the holiday.  The latter can carry heavy costs, hospitalization or even repatriation which won't have been happening for some considerable time. If a significant number like us are carrying on paying for insurance from which we aren't going to make a claim, then the insurers are doing quite well out of it! 🤔

• Like 2