Travel insurance

Bin man

I have never thought that travel insurance could be extended for a such long period of time.. I mean, I always knew that its almost impossible to cancel it and get a refund but I never thought that you could simply extend it free of charge or just move the date to another year for example.. need to do a little research on it 

I have Worldwide Travel Insurance packaged with my Nationwide Flexplus account. I was encouraged when Which magazine gave it top marks for being the most Covid friendly insurance, HOWEVER when I looked at the insurance detail it states that it does not cover us if we travel against FCO advice (understandable) but ALSO if FCO travel advice was in place at the time of booking.

We booked a Sept 2021 QM cruise in May and moved a P&O Oct 2020 cruise to a June 2021 one last June, both of these were booked whilst FCO was advising against cruising and overseas travel in general. So my understanding is that if things get better for the cruises to go ahead but we subsequently catch Covid we wouldn't be covered.

It might be worth checking the Covid T&Cs of your Travel Insurance.

18 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I have Worldwide Travel Insurance packaged with my Nationwide Flexplus account. I was encouraged when Which magazine gave it top marks for being the most Covid friendly insurance, HOWEVER when I looked at the insurance detail it states that it does not cover us if we travel against FCO advice (understandable) but ALSO if FCO travel advice was in place at the time of booking.

We booked a Sept 2021 QM cruise in May and moved a P&O Oct 2020 cruise to a June 2021 one last June, both of these were booked whilst FCO was advising against cruising and overseas travel in general. So my understanding is that if things get better for the cruises to go ahead but we subsequently catch Covid we wouldn't be covered.

Although many seem to have travel insurance packaged with a bank account, logic suggests that somewhere within it there must be exceptions and exclusions that make it an affordable option for the bank to give. Bought through insurers, annual travel insurance policies are far from cheap enough to give away. Of course if you don’t need to make a claim, none of this matters. Obviously the banks that offer this insurance cost it carefully before offering it so it is economically viable for them.

15 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I think your assessment is correct, given the FOC advice at the time of booking.   

We too have Flexplus and as we booked our 2021 cruises last year and also moved a 2020 P&O cruise into 2021 when we could see the writing on the wall at the time when full payment was due - but that was before the critical date in March after which all new bookings did not include Covid cover.  By continuing with the policy and renewing in early summer we were assured the Covid cover is maintained for these pre-Covid booked cruises.  Had we let the insurance lapse though, taking it out again say, next year, we would not be covered for these cruises on resumption of insurance.

Let's hope our cruises will go ahead next year and effective vaccines are available! 🤞

10 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Although many seem to have travel insurance packaged with a bank account, logic suggests that somewhere within it there must be exceptions and exclusions that make it an affordable option for the bank to give. Bought through insurers, annual travel insurance policies are far from cheap enough to give away. Of course if you don’t need to make a claim, none of this matters. Obviously the banks that offer this insurance cost it carefully before offering it so it is economically viable for them.

It isn't a freebie as there is a monthly fee -  though very competitive I think.  There are of course age premiums and delared conditions which generate extra charges, but I agree it will be carefully costed by the provider to make the sums balance.  

Edited by kruzseeka

In reply to Eglesbrech .Yes did try to negotiate as I have all my insurances with them but they would not budge on the travel side .They wouldn't even consider paying monthly although I always pay by barclaycard. They are not giving out new policies to new customers so I think they have hiked their prices to try and lose old customers .Although I had the covid cover on it as I managed to add on early March . I have shopped around and at moment have got same cover for 15 months 15% discount coming out around £90 cheaper with a good well-known firm so might go for that. The old firm was rhymes with a car made by vauxhall V _ _ _ . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pete14 said:

According to Which Nationwide come out best in more Covid related scenarios than others.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/

Do other Travel Insurance companies cover for Covid if holidays were booked when FCO advice was not to travel?

13 minutes ago, Bin man said:

In reply to Eglesbrech .Yes did try to negotiate as I have all my insurances with them but they would not budge on the travel side .They wouldn't even consider paying monthly although I always pay by barclaycard. They are not giving out new policies to new customers so I think they have hiked their prices to try and lose old customers .Although I had the covid cover on it as I managed to add on early March . I have shopped around and at moment have got same cover for 15 months 15% discount coming out around £90 cheaper with a good well-known firm so might go for that. The old firm was rhymes with a car made by vauxhall V _ _ _ . 

Thanks, interesting insight.

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

According to Which Nationwide come out best in more Covid related scenarios than others.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/

Do other Travel Insurance companies cover for Covid if holidays were booked when FCO advice was not to travel?

When this was first posted a few months ago, I checked with my insurance broker and they thought it had been misinterpreted.  The only embargo they could foresee was if the FCO advice was still against travel, and we all know that cruise lines will not restart sailing until that changes.

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

When this was first posted a few months ago, I checked with my insurance broker and they thought it had been misinterpreted.  The only embargo they could foresee was if the FCO advice was still against travel, and we all know that cruise lines will not restart sailing until that changes.

This is one of the clauses from the Nationwide website that concerns me. I guess that if our cruises are going ahead next year I'll need to look for an additional Travel Insurance that does cover us for booking whilst FCO was advising against travel.

If the country you are booked to travel to gets removed from the safe list, you’ll be covered if you want to cancel it. As long as when you booked your trip or bought your insurance (whichever was later) the FCO wasn't advising against travel to your destination.

Your travel insurance will provide cover for events relating to COVID-19, such as emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip, as long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel both when you booked your trip and when you depart on that trip.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace

Our annual travel insurance was up for renewal couple of weeks ago. The renewal had increase considerably to over £400 for worldwide cover, because we are now not cruising to USA/Canada next week and cruises we have booked for next year, if they go ahead are all in Europe, asked for quote for Europe only and it decreased to £144 which I thought was very good. We are with LV but did notice on their website they are not selling travel insurance to new customers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I've just phoned my Travel Insurance company and renewed on a Europe only basis, and my premium has halved, so I'm very happy with that. 

Are you trying to say that the Premium thing basically has given you a 50% discount on your next cruise (the insurance)? I might reconsider my overall thoughts about insurance and travel type insurance in general. In any case, I would rather get a maximum insurance plan just to be on the safe side of things 

3 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Are you trying to say that the Premium thing basically has given you a 50% discount on your next cruise (the insurance)? I might reconsider my overall thoughts about insurance and travel type insurance in general. In any case, I would rather get a maximum insurance plan just to be on the safe side of things 

You have to take into consideration though that these are British insurance companies. It's probably entirely different in America.

Avril

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

No.

I understand you live in the US, so it's completely different to the UK 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Roger does not understand that "premium" means the amount the insurance cover costs. He is equating "premium" with "first class". I do wonder if he has actually ever travelled at all, other than in his own mind.

Come on Wowzz.......let’s celebrate diversity.  A bit of the surreal may be good for us all.  😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Let’s celebrate diversity.  A bit of the surreal may be good for us all.  😉

BIG, BIG  WATER :classic_ohmy:

I remember his''big big water, ocean water'' very well but I'm glad I watched it again. I didn't look at him but at the young woman on the left. She tried very hard to keep a straight face at the begining and every now and again you could see a slight shake of her head. She deserves an Oscar.

Avril

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember his''big big water, ocean water'' very well but I'm glad I watched it again. I didn't look at him but at the young woman on the left. She tried very hard to keep a straight face at the begining and every now and again you could see a slight shake of her head. She deserves an Oscar.

Avril

I was watching her too Avril.  Her face a picture.  Like the doctor watching Trump delivering his bleach speech. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I was watching her too Avril.  Her face a picture.  Like the doctor watching Trump delivering his bleach speech. 

Everyone watching him during his speeches seems to have that ''deer in the headlights' expression, but then again, so do I.😲

Avril

• Haha 1