Sailing out of New York and Statue of Liberty

RozWazowski

We love sailing past the Statue of Liberty.  We have taken 3 cruises out of NY- one to Canada, one to Bermuda, and Bahamas/Caribbean.  All were good, and very different!   It depends where you want to go, and when.  Weather in summer is great to sail, and there have been southern itineraries that have been sent north to miss hurricanes/bad weather.  There have been March cruises that have had snow.  We usually cruise out of NY in summer, so weather is generally warm, though waters

can be a bit rough at times.

• Like 1

Just a reminder, NY departures pass the Statue, but not Cape Liberty Bayonne.

The Bayonne departures will see the Statue off in the distance to the port side, once you enter the NY Harbor.

i also agree, its a great sail away.

Leave from about 49th St next to the Intrepid, and the new Hudson Yards complex, then past mid-town & the Empire State Building then lower Manhattan and the Freedom Tower then into the NY harbor past the Statue and finally under the Verrazano Bridge.

Into the Atlantic, and your on your way towards your first destination.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJ CRUISE said:

Just a reminder, NY departures pass the Statue, but not Cape Liberty Bayonne.

The Bayonne departures will see the Statue off in the distance to the port side, once you enter the NY Harbor.

i also agree, its a great sail away.

Leave from about 49th St next to the Intrepid, and the new Hudson Yards complex, then past mid-town & the Empire State Building then lower Manhattan and the Freedom Tower then into the NY harbor past the Statue and finally under the Verrazano Bridge.

Into the Atlantic, and your on your way towards your first destination.

I was going to qualify it, but since it was a Carnival thread thought it would be simpler to describe the Carnival sail away from Manhattan.   

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I was going to qualify it, but since it was a Carnival thread thought it would be simpler to describe the Carnival sail away from Manhattan.   

Of course, last September-October the Carnival Sunrise sailings left from Brooklyn - so that could be a possibility if we get back to some semblance of normal.

We love sailing from NYC - have done 4 and 5-day Canada cruises. several 8-day Eastern Caribbean cruises, and a 4-day Bermuda cruise. In all our cruises, we never get tired of the NY sailaway - although we've reached the point where we don't get up at 5 a.m. on the return to see the Statue of Liberty.😃 Next up (we hope): QM2 out of Brooklyn next June. That sailaway isn't as good as the Manhattan sailings, but you still get a nice view of the statue and the sail under the bridge.

• Like 1

Have sailed from NYC over 20 times and the sail away is second to none IMHO, but then again I'm biased since it's my homeport. 😀  Leaving from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (which is where Carnival normally sails from), is the best, though sailing from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal also will give you good views of Lady Liberty. 😎

• Like 2

Sailing from Manhattan Cruise Terminal is always great. One of the highlights is watching everyone at the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island taking pictures of our ship and waving to us!! It must be as much fun for them to see this beautiful ship sailing right by them as it is for us to see such a beautiful sight. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, RozWazowski said:

Do Carnival sailings out of New York go by the Statue of Liberty? If so, do all of them or only certain ones?

What's your favorite cruise out of NY and why?

Happy sailing! Stay well!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

if your sailing out of Manhattan, then yes. Try to be on the Starboard side. Best sail away in the world, IMO

We were on the Vista TA which terminated in NYC. The captain and cd were reminding us that we would be arriving in NY harbor around 3am if we wanted to get up and see our arrival into NYC. We like many others set an alarm and drug ourselves out around 2:30am to watch our approach and arrival into NYC, WELL worth it!! Was November, so it was pretty brisk out on the forward deck from in front of our 4J cabin, but that where those 4J's "shine" having that entire deck to view both sides of the ship. 

My night time 3 o'clock in the morning on a moving ship picture taking skills, well, suck, but I put a few here.

We were going to sail out of NY this past July, but...well....we know the rest.......

DSC_7630.JPG

DSC_7631.JPG

• Like 1