Royal Caribbean Summer 2021 Itinerary Changes

LEtue

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Royal has. Lot more options for med cruises than Carnival has.   There might be some leeway in some of the ships going in to dry dock.  It certainly says something.  

Royal's changes shouldn't impact Carnival too much. Some options were eliminated but new ones introduced. Our Baltic itinerary was just switched from the Adventure to the Jewel and I'm still not sure how I feel about the swap.

• Like 1

While interesting to read, I also don't think there is a direct one-to-one relationship with what Carnival might do - they've already made significant changes to their itineraries and fleet.

Well, never say never - there is always opportunity for reality to impose further changes.

However, I do wonder whether Carnival might have to respond to whether ports are going to welcome cruise ships, of course, and so there may be changes such as dropping a stop in, I dunno, St Kitts for example, and adding an overnight at Princess Cays - this is just me spit-balling, no facts or even rumors to base it upon.

My cruise in April on Mardi Gras, which comprises port calls in San Juan, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk, for example, is probably "safe" - which is amusing, because it isn't all that exciting an itinerary (IMHO), but we booked it to explore the new ship, not the ports.  We do want to explore San Juan some more, so hopefully by then we won't be held to a Carnival-sponsored excursion.

If those ports changed to something else (well, not Nassau) I'd be more interested in getting off the ship.

The intent of my post was about international itinerary changes and not Carribean sailings. 

I think at this point the action by one cruise line could be a sign of things to come.  Many of us with cruises to Europe next year are making big plans which do not involve staying on the ship or being limited to cruise line excursions.  So, even though itineraries changes were expected - this move is significant. 

Staying hopeful at this point..... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

What I took from the link was that certain countries may not be open to cruise ships. Thus the shift in departure ports. My next Carnival cruise to Europe may be okay since we don't go to Barcelona or Amsterdam. 

Thats the thing. The cruising might be available, but you might see the countries of destination only from a balcony of the ship. I guess that even if there will be any sort of the land excursions, they will all take in some closed places for tourists only. 

1 hour ago, LEtue said:

The intent of my post was about international itinerary changes and not Carribean sailings. 

Understood, but for Carnival Cruise Line (this forum), 80%+ of the itineraries are for the Caribbean/Bermuda/Bahamas, with the rest split (unequally) between West Coast USA/Mexico/Alaska, Australia, and Europe.  So naturally that will be the focus here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Understood, but for Carnival Cruise Line (this forum), 80%+ of the itineraries are for the Caribbean/Bermuda/Bahamas, with the rest split (unequally) between West Coast USA/Mexico/Alaska, Australia, and Europe.  So naturally that will be the focus here.

And let’s be realistic, Carnival isn’t known for their Europe cruises. Having done one, I’d never choose Carnival in Europe again.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:24 PM, LEtue said:

Wonder about Carnival now.  It doesn't look good for my May sailing to the Med on the Legend.....

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/royal-caribbean-cruise-ships-redeployed-summer-2021

The article reads more like a repositioning of ships that full elimination of cruises.

I believe Carnival has done that recently.  

No one has a clue as to what will happen over fall and winter and into spring regarding CV19 outbreak and impact on travel anywhere.  Speculation does more to drive up the fear and angst versus any clear direction.

• Like 1

There were multiple sailings to Med ports that have been cancelled and passengers are just now getting notified. 

We all know that some changes/modifications are going to be made to future cruise itineraries and some ports will be more restricted than others going forward.  

I choose my cruises based on itinerary and not the ship.  Therefore changes may impact me more than others.  So just sharing information here....nothing more.

• Like 1

Ugggghhhh.  I just booked 4 business fare airline tickets for my B2B Carnival Legend sailings.  Fortunately, I booked with BA and they have zero change fees so I won't lose the money.  Still, I have had two European sailings in a row cancelled. Going to be crushed if Legend gets cancelled.  

On 9/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, crewsweeper said:

The article reads more like a repositioning of ships that full elimination of cruises.

I believe Carnival has done that recently.  

No one has a clue as to what will happen over fall and winter and into spring regarding CV19 outbreak and impact on travel anywhere.  Speculation does more to drive up the fear and angst versus any clear direction.

I know the ships and it's crazy and people still being moved. Jewel canc, and a larger ship being moved to jewel. Some say jewel being smaller is better suited to itinerary but what a mess. I guess the price was a bargain, even my ta jumped on it with everyone else. And now being moved to smaller jewel. Explorer they booked has a promenade, jewel does not. Jewel is very pretty but I like the promenade. 

People still not all moved and happy. Imagine moving everyone from magic to miracle and assigning cabins. 

Just talked to a TA, to look at booking a Royal Carib ship out of Europe for next fall and the TA actually said to wait a week to look at booking.....I also expressed my concern about booking on the Legend being that's the only Carnival ship in the Med next fall...and the TA seemed concerned about that subject too....Take it for what's it worth!! 

48 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Just talked to a TA, to look at booking a Royal Carib ship out of Europe for next fall and the TA actually said to wait a week to look at booking.....I also expressed my concern about booking on the Legend being that's the only Carnival ship in the Med next fall...and the TA seemed concerned about that subject too....Take it for what's it worth!! 

Speaking only about Carnival, I would not take a TA's word on anything that may or may not happen in the future. They just don't know. 

Carnival's own employees don't even know. 

If crystal balls were effective, they'd be sold out by now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Ugggghhhh.  I just booked 4 business fare airline tickets for my B2B Carnival Legend sailings.  Fortunately, I booked with BA and they have zero change fees so I won't lose the money.  Still, I have had two European sailings in a row cancelled. Going to be crushed if Legend gets cancelled.  

You already booked airfare? I usually only reserve refundable rates and I'm nowhere near ready to even begin looking for my European cruise. Who knows if we'll even be able to enter Europe at that point?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I know the ships and it's crazy and people still being moved. Jewel canc, and a larger ship being moved to jewel. Some say jewel being smaller is better suited to itinerary but what a mess. I guess the price was a bargain, even my ta jumped on it with everyone else. And now being moved to smaller jewel. Explorer they booked has a promenade, jewel does not. Jewel is very pretty but I like the promenade. 

People still not all moved and happy. Imagine moving everyone from magic to miracle and assigning cabins. 

Yup, still not moved -- should have been done by Monday but my booking still shows Adventure. Moving from a larger ship (Adventure) to a smaller one (Jewel) in this case shouldn't be tough. Historically, the capacity for this itinerary always called for a Radiance class ship and due to additional demand, they swapped it this year to a Voyager class ship. As a result of the Covid impacts, Royal expects fewer people to travel from the United States to Copenhagen/Amsterdam/Stockholm for these cruises and caused them to modify the ship to a smaller one that better accommodates forecasts and projections.

During the redeployment, they are repositioning the Adventure to Barcelona for smaller 4/5 day cruises. This is a more ideal and family friendly itinerary, likely to target those from the region, and requires a ship better suited for that purpose.

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

Not all European itineraries have been posted. The new ones from the Adventure and the Jewel's transatlantic should be available next week (or maybe even October 1 and October 13). Your TA was likely just being responsive to your question/tone but she shouldn't have any insight towards Carnival's intentions that we have yet to discover.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

You already booked airfare? I usually only reserve refundable rates and I'm nowhere near ready to even begin looking for my European cruise. Who knows if we'll even be able to enter Europe at that point?

No change fees for rebooking through 2022 expires at end of September. In other words, you have to buy ticket by Sept 30, but you can cancel and get a voucher or change your flights for free to a different flight through 2022. Europe will be open by 2022. Also, I used points to purchase one ticket and those go very quickly. A single ticket will be the cost of what I paid for all four if I wait until a few months out. I know this because I waited until January or February last year and "economy plus" RT Hou/London then was as much as what I paid for lay flat business for Houston to Barcelona and then London to Houston.

I am in two Facebook groups for my sailings and many people have already booked airfare.  I am hardly the only one.  Several of the excursions are all booked up as well. In fact, you can't even get a balcony anymore on one of my sailings. 

For me, it is more about the fact that I am emotionally invested now and have been let down so many times.  Vista broke down and my cruise was cancelled then Mardis Gras cancellation due to ship not ready then my Fjords cancelled due to Covid.  

14 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

No change fees for rebooking through 2022 expires at end of September. In other words, you have to buy ticket by Sept 30, but you can cancel and get a voucher or change your flights for free to a different flight through 2022. Europe will be open by 2022. Also, I used points to purchase one ticket and those go very quickly. A single ticket will be the cost of what I paid for all four if I wait until a few months out. I know this because I waited until January or February last year and "economy plus" RT Hou/London then was as much as what I paid for lay flat business for Houston to Barcelona and then London to Houston.

I am in two Facebook groups for my sailings and many people have already booked airfare.  I am hardly the only one.  Several of the excursions are all booked up as well. In fact, you can't even get a balcony anymore on one of my sailings. 

For me, it is more about the fact that I am emotionally invested now and have been let down so many times.  Vista broke down and my cruise was cancelled then Mardis Gras cancellation due to ship not ready then my Fjords cancelled due to Covid.  

How early into the season is your cruise if many are already booking air? I'd prefer to book as I normally do under a fully flex ticket. I'd hate to have a voucher/credit with an expiration date and choose not to use gift cards.

Hopefully all goes well for you and you aren't getting another cancellation!

On 9/30/2020 at 6:19 PM, Cruisesfun65 said:

Speaking only about Carnival, I would not take a TA's word on anything that may or may not happen in the future. They just don't know. 

Carnival's own employees don't even know. 

If crystal balls were effective, they'd be sold out by now.

Take the TA word on what? Its seems people have a problem understanding post on this board...

Edited by mpdog42

XDisconnections,

Thanks for the info on RC other two ships....I looked at Rhapsody but it goes out of a town on the coast some 2 1/2 hours out of Venice by car...Been also looking at MSC...

Edited by mpdog42
correct