Riviera Cruise 3 January 2021 - guests from UK

sunnysideup5

Is anyone from the UK also booked on this cruise?  I wonder what would happen if the cruise goes ahead from Miami as scheduled and there are still restrictions about travelling to the US from the UK.  If the restrictions are still in place, we would not be able to get into the States to embark.  What would our position be?  We booked the trip as a package with an agent.  

Spoke to said travel agent today who said that if it does go ahead there will be protocols in place ie, temperature checks before and whilst on board; guests having to wear a mask whilst going from one place to another on the ship;  only being allowed off at ports if on a guided tour operated by Oceania.  I asked whether because the whole trip had been completely altered and was dramatically different from the one we booked originally, would we be able to ask for our money back?  Apparently not as it's the US government not the cruise line who has changed things.  Is this true?

Would welcome any and all feedback.  Thanks.  Melanie

Edited by CC Help Jenn
updated date

If O cancels the cruise you are entitled to a refund. If you cancel then you have to pay the penalty (whatever it is at this point).

Changing the itinerary is within cruise line's discretion and wouldn't qualify as a valid reason for your cancelling and getting a refund.

Make the best of it.

Thanks for your input Paulchili.  I've found out that should the 14 day quarantine day rule for UK citizens entering the US still be in place at the time then we will be cancelled off the cruise by Oceania because obviously we wouldn't be able to quarantine in the states before the cruise.  We would then be able to get a refund or defer.  Need to wait and see if anything changes, which it might.  

14 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Don’t have the link, but the US government announced they are dropping the flight and travel restrictions for those coming in from the UK and EU. You should be able to get to Miami with no difficulty. 

According to the US CDC website (updated September 14) the restrictions preventing entry to the US are still in place. 

See:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

US citizens and permanent residents are exempted but must re-enter the us through one of the designated airports.  If you can find your source of information, please let me know.  I would be interested in trying to reconcile the two.

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Don’t have the link, but the US government announced they are dropping the flight and travel restrictions for those coming in from the UK and EU. You should be able to get to Miami with no difficulty. 

The FCO is still advising against Cruising for UK residents.  So we can't cruise even if the US authorities say we are welcome.

17 hours ago, sunnysideup5 said:

Is anyone from the UK also booked on this cruise?  I wonder what would happen if the cruise goes ahead from Miami as scheduled and there are still restrictions about travelling to the US from the UK.  If the restrictions are still in place, we would not be able to get into the States to embark.  What would our position be?  We booked the trip as a package with an agent.  

Spoke to said travel agent today who said that if it does go ahead there will be protocols in place ie, temperature checks before and whilst on board; guests having to wear a mask whilst going from one place to another on the ship;  only being allowed off at ports if on a guided tour operated by Oceania.  I asked whether because the whole trip had been completely altered and was dramatically different from the one we booked originally, would we be able to ask for our money back?  Apparently not as it's the US government not the cruise line who has changed things.  Is this true?

Would welcome any and all feedback.  Thanks.  Melanie

JAN. 2020 has passed.   Are you thinking 2021?

I don't think that Oceania knows for sure if this date sailing is a go or not. Lots of January cruises on all cruise lines are being sold but there has been no official announcement if they will be allowed to sail or not. And if they do, who knows what scheduled ports will allow Riviera to dock.

If you are willing to take a substantially modified cruise then keep your booking and wait and see what happens. If not, cancel now and plan a cruise for later in 2021.

19 hours ago, susiesan said:

I don't think that Oceania knows for sure if this date sailing is a go or not. Lots of January cruises on all cruise lines are being sold but there has been no official announcement if they will be allowed to sail or not. And if they do, who knows what scheduled ports will allow Riviera to dock.

If you are willing to take a substantially modified cruise then keep your booking and wait and see what happens. If not, cancel now and plan a cruise for later in 2021.

We would rather wait till the end of 2021 so things can calm down some more.  Need a vaccine to really feel safe.  At least we think so.  Better to be  safe than sorry.