I miss cruising

Waju

I've been thinking over the past month how much I miss cruising - maybe not even the cruising but the anticipation of an up and coming cruise and all the planning that goes along with it

This time last year we were just getting back from Canada and the USA and it seems like an age ago 😒

I've just had a nosy at the World Cruise price aboard Aurora in 2022 and was shocked to see the Early Saver price on an inside cabin is over £1600 more expensive than it would normally be. 

Nothing more to say really, I wouldn't want to cruise at the moment but that doesn't mean I don't miss it!

• Like 1

I know what you mean, I once read somewhere that the enjoyment of an event is as much about the anticipation and recollection as the event itself and I’m not inclined to disagree. We should have been getting ready for a cruise on Iona in a couple of weeks but obviously that’s not happening and we’re almost certain our Caribbean TA at the end of March will be cancelled. Beyond that we’ve got a cruise booked next October which is a whole year away, I haven’t even bothered looking at next summer.

42 minutes ago, zoe sproodle said:

I know what you mean, I once read somewhere that the enjoyment of an event is as much about the anticipation and recollection as the event itself and I’m not inclined to disagree. We should have been getting ready for a cruise on Iona in a couple of weeks but obviously that’s not happening and we’re almost certain our Caribbean TA at the end of March will be cancelled. Beyond that we’ve got a cruise booked next October which is a whole year away, I haven’t even bothered looking at next summer.

We have had great fun planning and researching. We just haven't been able to press send and book ( well, apart from booking a few).

I'm in total agreement with you all. The planning and research is half the fun. We've two booked for next year and are  doing just that now. I know that there's a slight chance that one might not go ahead, but I'm trying to stay positive.

Avril

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Totally agree, I should be going this Sunday for 12 nights round Spain and Portugal. I don’t miss the stress of packing though!

I hate the packing too, but but at this moment, I'd absolutely love to be packing for my cruise😒

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waju said:

I've been thinking over the past month how much I miss cruising - maybe not even the cruising but the anticipation of an up and coming cruise and all the planning that goes along with it

This time last year we were just getting back from Canada and the USA and it seems like an age ago 😒

I've just had a nosy at the World Cruise price aboard Aurora in 2022 and was shocked to see the Early Saver price on an inside cabin is over £1600 more expensive than it would normally be. 

Nothing more to say really, I wouldn't want to cruise at the moment but that doesn't mean I don't miss it!

I returned from my last cruise just over a year ago, and it seems like it was a lifetime ago.

I miss

the excitement of the new itineraries coming out.

the moment when the 'right' cruise jumps out at you.

Booking the cruise.

Then later on....

Completing the cruise personaliser ( although I always half expect IT issues at this point!)

researching destinations, and decided what can by done DIY and booking any ships excursions.

Reviewing my wardrobe and buying things that I need (or just want)

That bit what you step on board, you've unpacked and the whole cruise is stretching ahead to be enjoyed. 

I don't miss - 

packing the suitcases and the bit where you actually leave the house and a mile up the road start wondering if you've locked the back door ! 

• Like 4

I agree about the amount of time you enjoy a cruise - maybe any holiday? - being way more than the days of the actual trip.

I think I’ve gone into denial mode.  In March we said definitely no cruising in 2020 and almost certainly none in 2021 either.  We might start to look for 2022, if there’s significant progress on the science and medicine side (In fact we have a booking - from ages ago -  on the Jan ‘22 35 night Ventura but I’m 90% certain either it won’t go or we won’t go) So, I think I’ve done all the stages of grief and have just put it from my mind, rather than fret.

I enjoy this forum though - it reminds me of good times, particularly the great pics posted recently.  The chat and banter is a little reminiscent of cruise friendships too.

ETA - I think I’m fortunate in having been on the Ventura 35 night this January.  Cruise memories which are quite fresh - sloths in Costa Rica, Panama Canal, the colour of Cartagena.  Mmm.  I’ll have to live on those memories for a long time/for ever 

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 3

I'm glad its not just me and we all feel the same!

I love the line on Dermotsgirls post 'the moment when the 'right' cruise jumps out at you'  I love that moment too 🙂 

What about the high prices at the moment?  Do you think this is a temporary increase while everyone uses up their future cruise credit?  I personally think the smaller ships will remain more expensive and the bargain prices will be on Iona as they try and fill her.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Waju said:

I love the line on Dermotsgirls post 'the moment when the 'right' cruise jumps out at you'  I love that moment too 🙂 

What about the high prices at the moment?  Do you think this is a temporary increase while everyone uses up their future cruise credit?  I personally think the smaller ships will remain more expensive and the bargain prices will be on Iona as they try and fill her.

We rebooked for Alaska and the Fjords for 2021 a couple of months ago  and paid pretty much the same as for 2020.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We rebooked for Alaska and the Fjords for 2021 a couple of months ago  and paid pretty much the same as for 2020.

Really? that surprises me - if I look at anything at the moment I shout the Yorkshire war cry of "HOW MUCH" and I'm not even from Yorkshire 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Waju said:

Really? that surprises me - if I look at anything at the moment I shout the Yorkshire war cry of "HOW MUCH" and I'm not even from Yorkshire 😀

Celebrity and RCI prices seemed to have come down a bit over the last few weeks. NCL's latest promotion is lower as well. When I look at the Warner website recently, my comment is HOW MUCH !. I only want to rent a room not buy one.

11 minutes ago, Waju said:

In my experience, prices start lowest on launch, creep up as the ships fill and then either rise further if the cruise is booking up or drop if they are struggling to fill it. I suggest high prices now are partly following the same pattern assisted by fcc bookings. There are some that seem to be reasonably priced but mainly on large ships following itineraries most of us have travelled at least once before.

Just now, zap99 said:

Celebrity and RCI prices seemed to have come down a bit over the last few weeks. NCL's latest promotion is lower as well. When I look at the Warner website recently, my comment is HOW MUCH !. I only want to rent a room not buy one.

I'm a bit biased towards P and O I'm afraid.  Although when we were in the Caribbean last Jan/Feb and saw all the other ships we did say maybe one day we should try one.

We had a few days on a narrowboat last week,  I've had a two week cruise on Ventura cheaper!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

In my experience, prices start lowest on launch, creep up as the ships fill and then either rise further if the cruise is booking up or drop if they are struggling to fill it. I suggest high prices now are partly following the same pattern assisted by fcc bookings. There are some that seem to be reasonably priced but mainly on large ships following itineraries most of us have travelled at least once before.

I booked our October 2021Arcadia cruise last October. The cruise price has now increased  by a whopping £2,000.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

In March we said definitely no cruising in 2020 and almost certainly none in 2021 either.  We might start to look for 2022, if there’s significant progress on the science and medicine side (In fact we have a booking - from ages ago -  on the Jan ‘22 35 night Ventura but I’m 90% certain either it won’t go or we won’t go) So, I think I’ve done all the stages of grief and have just put it from my mind, rather than fret.

That's very similar to us.

We've already said goodbye to our March 2021 Iona cruise - just waiting for P&O to cancel it.

After that we have a 19 night cruise on Queen Victoria in early October 2021 and a 55 night cruise on Arcadia in January 2022.

These are both very expensive cruises for us, and I would want to be sure that the cruise experience is as close to perfect as possible.

But I think 2021 is likely to be the same as 2020, so, as soon as we get a chance we will switch them both to shorter cruises closer to home for summer 2022.  Hopefully Cunard and P&O will continue to be flexible with their transfer policy. 

If nothing else, I will get these cruises out of my head, and can spend 2021 concentrating on the things we can do in the UK 

• Like 1

We have missed cruising this year having had a TA cancelled in May on QM2 and should have been going on a 28nt USA/Canada cruise next Friday also on QM2. We already have 3 booked for next year 2 x P&O, 1 x Cunard if they go ahead and looking forward to Summer 2022 brochures being released soon for P&O/Cunard. But if released ne cruises today on QE with Cunard for 2021 are anything to go by they are very strong and if same for 2022 will be looking elsewhere and perhaps our main summer holiday for 2022 will be in Austria.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of the comments. It's not just about the cruise itself, but the anticipation and planning that goes into it too.

I don't miss the packing and have mixed feeling about the journey up as we travel up by train the day before and have to change at least once, depending destination. I think I start to relax more when I've arrived at the hotel and excitement kicks in when I'm in the terminal.

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I returned from my last cruise just over a year ago, and it seems like it was a lifetime ago.

I miss

the excitement of the new itineraries coming out.

the moment when the 'right' cruise jumps out at you.

Booking the cruise.

Then later on....

Completing the cruise personaliser ( although I always half expect IT issues at this point!)

researching destinations, and decided what can by done DIY and booking any ships excursions.

Reviewing my wardrobe and buying things that I need (or just want)

That bit what you step on board, you've unpacked and the whole cruise is stretching ahead to be enjoyed. 

"That bit what you step on board, you've unpacked and the whole cruise is stretching ahead to be enjoyed"

For me that moment arrives when I hand over the car keys to Parking4Cruises after a long drive!

The weight lifts off my shoulders and from then onwards I really don't care about the embarkation process, security checks, unpacking or even the muster drill. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I hate the packing too, but but at this moment, I'd absolutely love to be packing for my cruise😒

Avril

I know what you mean but as I’m going to Devon instead I’m packing for all weathers! At least I’m not taking lots of evening outfits!! Instead of all the shoes there’s jumpers and macs 😃

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I know what you mean but as I’m going to Devon instead I’m packing for all weathers! At least I’m not taking lots of evening outfits!! Instead of all the shoes there’s jumpers and macs 😃

Last three days here in Devon have been pretty good, but rain and 50mph wind forecast for tomorrow.  We have therefore moved to plan "B" - lunch in a nearby pub, followed by a boozy afternoon in the caravan !

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DamianG said:

"That bit what you step on board, you've unpacked and the whole cruise is stretching ahead to be enjoyed"

For me that moment arrives when I hand over the car keys to Parking4Cruises after a long drive!

The weight lifts off my shoulders and from then onwards I really don't care about the embarkation process, security checks, unpacking or even the muster drill. 

Great attitude.

We don't truly relax until our cases arrive at our cabin.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Last three days here in Devon have been pretty good, but rain and 50mph wind forecast for tomorrow.  We have therefore moved to plan "B" - lunch in a nearby pub, followed by a boozy afternoon in the caravan !

Sounds like a plan!

3 hours ago, DamianG said:

I still get excited when I see the ship!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I booked our October 2021Arcadia cruise last October. The cruise price has now increased  by a whopping £2,000.

Avril

I always book a year in advance.

After 3 cruises and a weeks hotel holiday in Orlando cancelled I won't book another cruise anytime soon.

Next summer if things are a lot better I might look at a last minute cruise from Southampton and drive to Southampton if the price and itinerary are right.

Graham.