Common Bonds:A non Covid thread

lenquixote66

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you ever meet people on a cruise that went to the same school as you ?

On every cruise I wear a tee shirt from a school that I went to and that has become a great conversation piece.

I met a young American kid working as an assistant cruise director on a cruise in the med. I noticed his American accent and asked where he was from....He said, El Cajon, CA. I said me too! Ended up we went to the same high school!

Not from my school days, but from when I was a Reception/Year 1 teacher.  We shared equipment and sometimes children, with the school nursery next door, and the person who recognised me on board ship had been one of the nursery nurses there. It was around 20 years after I'd left, so we had a lot of catching up to do!

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you ever meet people on a cruise that went to the same school as you ?

On every cruise I wear a tee shirt from a school that I went to and that has become a great conversation piece.

A bloke I went to school with 40 years earlier (not even in the same class but the same grade I was 1a he 1b) for one term, put his hand out and called me by name. I had no idea who he was even when he told me his name, only when we started talking about others in our year did I start to gain a slight glimmer.

• Like 1

Much to my surprise I found out a few days ago that a CC regular ,my wife and I all went to the same college during a few of the same years.However,even if we knew his name and hew knew ours it is very unlikely that we would have crossed paths as there were thousands of students in attendance .

I was sitting on a coach for an excursion on a Princess cruise to Iceland and Norway. One of my ex-students (from a month or so previously) walked down the aisle with his mother and saw me. His face was a picture. He was gracious enough to introduce me to his mother. He was on a cruise as his reward for passing his course ready to go to university (he was profoundly deaf so this was a great achievement for him).

• Like 2

Bundled up, sitting in a deck chair aboard the Zaandam during a South America/Antarctica cruise, I was wearing my Ohio Wesleyan University ball cap.  A gentleman who was walking by stopped and said he was an OWU graduate as well.  We were students several years apart, but it was a pleasant encounter with a fellow Bishop as we shared a few stories.  

• Like 1

During a Winter vacation in Fort Lauderdale when my school district was using a Year Round School calendar, I was aboard a sightseeing cruise.  I experienced a "tap on my shoulder".  Turning to face the "tapper", it was the parent of a current student of mine!  He was as surprised as I was that we are on the same boat.

It reinforced my belief:  I have to behave myself wherever I am at any time!

• Like 3

On the promenade deck of the QM2 few years ago I met a neighbor who lives in my apartment building.

I've also experience the opposite when, in the lobby of a London hotel, I spotted a couple who had once been my table mates.  Sailing on QM2 is to have a special camaraderie.

17 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

On the promenade deck of the QM2 few years ago I met a neighbor who lives in my apartment building.

I've also experience the opposite when, in the lobby of a London hotel, I spotted a couple who had once been my table mates.  Sailing on QM2 is to have a special camaraderie.

A friend of mine met a woman who lives in his Manhattan apartment building.They were both wearing NYU sweat shirts.They did not know each other previously .

We got stranded in Germany when the (public) train got blocked on the way back to the port.  Leveraging the only person aboard who could translate, we managed to convince the station master to contact the cruise-chartered train due through on a different track shortly.

DH and I went through our whole train, calling anyone headed to the port to get off that train, switch platforms, and board the charter train.  We 'saved' at least 40 passengers from missing the ship, including an elderly Chinese couple who didn't speak English well.  She held on to my sleeve as we crossed to the new platform.

10 days later, we ran in to 4 passengers from that day at Heathrow airport.  More than a year later, a different couple dashed up to us in Rome and thanked us again.  (I was carrying the same wacky cross-body purse).

57 minutes ago, evandbob said:

With only 100 admitting engineering freshman in 1968, it would be easier for me to win megamillions than run into someone from Cooper Union.

A former neighbor of mine in Brooklyn graduated Cooper Union and was an avid cruiser but he was there way before you.I believe he graduated in 1957 and was a teacher at Brooklyn Tech.

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Had to dispose of all school T-shirts as part of the witness protection program.   😋

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Had to dispose of all school T-shirts as part of the witness protection program.   😋

Therefore,we are all on CC using assumed names

• Like 1

No offense, Len, but you seem to be kind of obsessed with this topic. This is at least the third thread in recent memory that you've started about this same subject.

Just for the record, in 40-odd years of cruising I have never run into anyone from my hometown, high school or college. Of course, I don't wear t-shirts advertising anything, including places I've visited or schools I've attended. And my conversations with others onboard ship are more about traveling experiences than where they are from or where they went to school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

No offense, Len, but you seem to be kind of obsessed with this topic. This is at least the third thread in recent memory that you've started about this same subject.

Just for the record, in 40-odd years of cruising I have never run into anyone from my hometown, high school or college. Of course, I don't wear t-shirts advertising anything, including places I've visited or schools I've attended. And my conversations with others onboard ship are more about traveling experiences than where they are from or where they went to school.

Although it may be hard to believe I suffer from a form of dementia and at times I cannot remember if I have posted something previously.There are always new people on CC who may not have read a prior thread of the same subject.

I enjoy meeting people who graduated the same schools as I have.Everyone has different interests ,correct ?

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Although it may be hard to believe I suffer from a form of dementia and at times I cannot remember if I have posted something previously.There are always new people on CC who may not have read a prior thread of the same subject.

I enjoy meeting people who graduated the same schools as I have.Everyone has different interests ,correct ?

Perhaps you could make a note to yourself regarding threads you have started and just add to them, rather than starting new ones on the same topic. Or it's also easy to look up topics that you have started in your profile.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You have Clo and her husband,look above.

Another point is that hundreds of “new “ people have been on CC since Feb.2019.

They posted to your previous thread, so their photo shows up in the "preview" link.... it's nothing I did.

It's quite easy to post to an old thread -- it brings it to the top again, so anyone new will see it.

Edited by cruisemom42