No Sail order expires tomorrow

Cruisesfun65

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

While the CDC order is suppose to expire tomorrow, I thought cruise lines were voluntarily extending no sail until October.

But, unless it's a rerun, JH's Instagram is showing morning walks on I think , the Breeze.

They did. I saw an article on a cruise site that said the CDC is extending the no sail until 10/30 but the article was written tomorrow (in the future) so who knows how legit it is. 

14 hours ago, SeaScout said:

So, essentially, the take away is that testing is unreliable.

Many of the rapid tests yield false positives and/or pick up other respiratory symptoms.  That's one reason you hear a lot about asymptomatic people showing up positive and creating the media fear that they can spread things.  A reliable rapid test is probably an oxymoron.

Here in Florida, you can go to a bar.  You can go shopping in the stores.  You can go to the mall.  You can go to a restaurant with number limitations now lifted.  You can stay in a motel or hotel.  You can take a plane to get here.  You can go to a church (with some guidelines established).  You can take a taxi.  You can go to the Dentist.  You can go to see your doctor.   The parks are open .  Just wear your mask and stay 6 feet from others. 

Now when it comes to cruising, you can't.  You might catch the virus.  ..........................  I know.  You say I just don't understand the situation.  ...........................  You are right.

One other point.  If 20 cruisers caught the virus on a 1,000 passenger cruise ship, that would be 2 percent.  It would make headlines for a week.  Actually, that is about the same percent if you followed all the points I mentioned.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, richfret said:

One other point.  If 20 cruisers caught the virus on a 1,000 passenger cruise ship, that would be 2 percent.  It would make headlines for a week.  Actually, that is about the same percent if you followed all the points I mentioned.

If 300 pax on a 1,000 pax cruise ship caught the virus, that would be 30%.  I picked that number in much the same way you picked yours.... out of thin air.  All the examples of what you can do in Florida are not in the least similar to putting 1,000 pax and crew on a ship for a week or so.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

If 300 pax on a 1,000 pax cruise ship caught the virus, that would be 30%.  I picked that number in much the same way you picked yours.... out of thin air.  All the examples of what you can do in Florida are not in the least similar to putting 1,000 pax and crew on a ship for a week or so.

A better comparison would be MSC putting passengers on a ship for over a month now with no one catching the virus during these cruises. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

A better comparison would be MSC putting passengers on a ship for over a month now with no one catching the virus during these cruises. 

Yes, that would be a better comparison.  Would you like to take a cruise organized in the same fashion?  Of course, that may not even be possible if other countries won’t permit the ships to stop in.

At this point, 12 hours from the expiration of the no sail order and still no word, I question whether the news of a one month extension reportedly agreed to at yesterday's task force meeting was a done deal. If it was just a matter of publishing the task force's decision it would have happened by now. Perhaps their recommendation went to the President and he has the final say, which is why no word yet. And it appears he isn't just rubber stamping their recommendation since nothing has happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

At this point, 12 hours from the expiration of the no sail order and still no word, I question whether the news of a one month extension reportedly agreed to at yesterday's task force meeting was a done deal. If it was just a matter of publishing the task force's decision it would have happened by now. Perhaps their recommendation went to the President and he has the final say, which is why no word yet. And it appears he isn't just rubber stamping their recommendation since nothing has happened. 

Since no-one, AFAIK, is actually ready to sail tomorrow or even this weekend, the CDC is probably OK publishing the extension tomorrow, if need be.  They did that once before, IIRC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sotto1879 said:

I was wondering the same thing. are they going to to a refund, if I am turned away at port. Later to find out it was a false positive?

Current protocols seem to be:

Travel insurance required.  So if you are turned away, you get the insurance payment.

If you test positive, you get tested a second time - I don't know if the second test is a different, more reliable, type of test.  If you test negative, you get on board.  If positive, you are denied boarding.

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Current protocols seem to be:

Travel insurance required.  So if you are turned away, you get the insurance payment.

If you test positive, you get tested a second time - I don't know if the second test is a different, more reliable, type of test.  If you test negative, you get on board.  If positive, you are denied boarding.

ok did not know they would do a 2nd test at the port.. thanks for the info

Reading an article from "Floridatoday.com" about the likely extension to the No Sail Order.  No news there.

But, the article then segued into the topic of how well Port Canaveral is doing, as a functional and revenue-oriented operation.  The CEO of Port Canaveral was quoted as saying the following:

"There's thousands of ships around the world — cargo ships, tankers, ferries, Navy ships, aircraft carriers, submarines. They're all operating at sea, and they all have protocols to handle COVID, if they have a case onboard," Murray said. "The cruise industry is no different. It's another ship that's got a large population of people onboard. There's a protocol in place. You manage it, if you have someone that's sick or you don't let anyone onboard that is sick. Then you control the process. It's no different."

Um, yes, it is very different for cruise ships.  All of those other examples, except ferries I suppose, are ships full of professionals doing their jobs on board that ship.  They aren't on board to eat 6 hours a day at the various buffets and consume alcoholic drinks at the bars and pubs, and go the night club or comedy club or big production show.  Enforcing & managing health protocols with (mostly sober?) employees is far easier than thousands of cruisers just looking to relax and have a good time but sometimes having too much to drink and some of them not being very careful at all about good hygiene habits.

And ferries, for the most part, are like taking a really big bus or plane - again, not for pleasure, but as transport.

Sorry Mr. Murray, as much as I support your idea of getting back to cruising, that is a terrible analogy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richfret said:

Here in Florida, you can go to a bar.  You can go shopping in the stores.  You can go to the mall.  You can go to a restaurant with number limitations now lifted.  You can stay in a motel or hotel.  You can take a plane to get here.  You can go to a church (with some guidelines established).  You can take a taxi.  You can go to the Dentist.  You can go to see your doctor.   The parks are open .  Just wear your mask and stay 6 feet from others. 

Now when it comes to cruising, you can't.  You might catch the virus.  ..........................  I know.  You say I just don't understand the situation.  ...........................  You are right.

And Florida has the 3rd highest # of COVID cases in the US States.  We've just passed the 705,000 mark, and with a population of 21.5 million, that's about 3 and 1/4%.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I assume, since there is now a much greater risk of the insurance having to pay for such a claim, travel insurance which would cover such a Covid turn away has likely gotten more expensive.

1 minute ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I assume, since there is now a much greater risk of the insurance having to pay for such a claim, travel insurance which would cover such a Covid turn away has likely gotten more expensive.

Well, it depends on the expected rate of claim.  Picking numbers out of the air: If on average 1% of pax get denied (20 or 30 people per cruise), then the cost of the insurance will be maybe 2% of the cost of your cruise fare - that way the insurance company makes a profit, on average, after their other expenses (I'm guessing at their "load factors", maybe it is triple the base cost, so 3%).  And remember, if you get denied boarding, you get refunded taxes and port fees (and excursions and Cheers), so it is just the base cruise fare that you would otherwise eat.

So in the above case, a typical cruise might be something like $600 pp cruise fare (I randomly picked a cruise out of Port Canaveral, 7-day, balcony as a quick survey), so insurance could be around $12 pp.  That's just coverage for this specific reason.  Cancel for any reason insurance is more comprehensive, so it costs more.

My numbers are just guesses and estimations, but really, unless a lot of pax get denied, I would find it hard to swallow an added insurance cost above, say, $20 for a $600 cruise fare.

Didn't Costa or MSC announce their mandatory insurance costs were something like 7 Euro pp?

Found the cost of the MSC COVID-19 insurance, an article right here on CC.  18 Euro pp:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5510/

MSC will offer passengers, as an optional add-on, COVID-19 protection insurance. Priced at 18 Euros per person, per cruise, this insurance covers passengers in the event they are denied boarding; have to cancel their cruise; or are stricken with coronavirus during the sailing. This insurance provides for a refund of the cruise fare and even transportation costs in order for passengers to quarantine at home, or to return home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Found the cost of the MSC COVID-19 insurance, an article right here on CC.  18 Euro pp:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5510/

MSC will offer passengers, as an optional add-on, COVID-19 protection insurance. Priced at 18 Euros per person, per cruise, this insurance covers passengers in the event they are denied boarding; have to cancel their cruise; or are stricken with coronavirus during the sailing. This insurance provides for a refund of the cruise fare and even transportation costs in order for passengers to quarantine at home, or to return home.

Somebody must be underwriting the cost.

Edited by jimbo5544

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Yah, just like the Flu season when no one gets the Flu.