Hedging My Bet

FitchburgWIFamily

We booked the 2/7/21 Western Caribbean on the Breakaway back in June.

We picked this cruise for a couple of reasons:

- we have done these ports multiple times so if we didn't feel good about getting off the boat, we wouldn't felt like we  missed anything

- we love NOLA, and were looking forward to taking in a few Mardi Gras parades on the weekend before Mardi Gras weekend

- we can drive to this port (she says in a midwestern accent)

- we figured by 2/21, things would be a lot more settled down around COVID

Looking forward to that cruise was a bright spot in the middle of a pretty dark summer.

Flash forward 3 months or so from when I booked that cruise...and I am a lot less optimistic about cruising in early 2021.   So, I booked the same cruise for 2/20/2022.  It is the weekend before Mardi Gras weekend again.  The deposit is only $250, and the fare is pretty good.  They have the same promotions (even for the inside rooms).  My original 2021 cruise has gone up since I originally booked it...but right now, it is not as high as it has been.  I check the rates pretty frequently in case I want to upgrade or rebook.   Now I'll keep an eye on both cruises.

I am sort of hoping since I have planned ahead and I have a back up plan, the 2/2021 cruise will go off without a hitch.   

Has anyone else hedged their bet?

We had a Jan 2021 cruise around New Zealand that was booked 2 years ago. That was cancelled on us, so we were planning a regular land tour with us driving around the islands instead. Now we're thinking that will have to get cancelled as well as NZ/Australia doesn't want us to visit at this time.

We've now got 3 upcoming NCL cruises booked instead. Opted for April 2021 to Alaska out of Seattle, hoping that we'll be able to fly within the US without too much issue.

Booked Greece for Oct 2021 taking advantage of the 3rd passenger sails free deal and stole that cruise at the price we got for a 2br suite (20% off offer, plus an extra 10% from them cancelling the NZ cruise).

Third one is for May 2022 from Barcelona to London, around Spain/Portugal with a bonus stop for wine in Bordeaux. 

I'm getting completely stir crazy from not being able to travel. We also wanted to book a Germany/Czech trip for Octoberfest in 2022, but holding off until we're at least able to complete one trip successfully in 2021.

Wear your masks people, stop the spread! I need my vacations!

• Like 1

We canceled our early 2021 cruise and booked the Breakaway for August (anniversary cruise)  Our reasoning is the same as the OP mentioned.  We have been to these ports, St Thomas, Tortola and GSC so if we must only take ship sponsored excursions we will just stay on the ship in the Haven.  I will be happy just being onboard.......

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

We canceled our early 2021 cruise and booked the Breakaway for August (anniversary cruise)  Our reasoning is the same as the OP mentioned.  We have been to these ports, St Thomas, Tortola and GSC so if we must only take ship sponsored excursions we will just stay on the ship in the Haven.  I will be happy just being onboard.......

Our thinking for the May 2022 cruise was the same.  We've been to all of the ports multiple times so we would just treat the ship like an all inclusive sea vacation and not get off if we can't venture out on our own.

After having our early April cruise cancelled, we pro-actively moved our October cruise to the following year.  Of course our original October cruise was cancelled too, but it was 'easier' on us as we had already make the decision to change it to 2021.   So yes, I would say we hedged our bet.  

I'm ready & willing to wear a mask on a cruise.....except when enjoying our large balcony😎

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

We had rescheduled our original April 2020 cruise for Dec 2020. That isn't something we are comfortable with right now. So we have pushed it out to Dec 2021 (and got a much better cabin). I think by then things should be better