White House Proposes Cruises to begin Nov 1st in US!!!

BoundForSea

CDC proposed a Feb 1, 2021 extension to the no sail order. White House over ruled and proposes it’s end on Oct 31st

Friday Oct 2nd White House meets with Cruise CEOs to review mitigation plans and a formal decision to be made after that meeting to confirm or change the Nov 1 start date

Here’s the first story release:

https://cruise-week.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e2134d7fbf68ecf9ef8d77398&id=2316e70a63&e=b67cac8004

Get my VENCHI Chocolate Martini #2 ready Seaside!!!!!

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There are factual inaccuracies in Both the title of this post And it’s content which could Easily mislead well intentioned cruisers. 

Not sure how thats the case. 

According to the cited article:

White House Proposes lifting the no sail order Oct 31, therefore cruises in the US begin Nov 1st. Not sure how thats misleading..

The content of the post is a direct summarization of the cited article. I did make one mistake as CDC wanted to extend through end of Feb not Feb 1. I think I did an honest job of summarizing the main points of the article, in either case if you have doubts as a well intentioned cruiser then read the article, as I am trying to play the part of well intentioned cruiser and CC member thats excited to see cruising begin in November and wanted to share that enthusiasm with others whose Nov or Dec reservations may be a reality as mine should be. 

What’s the saying, the road to h e double hockey sticks is paved with good intentions? Thus the way of the CC crowd I guess. 

Me, well Ill continue to play sound bites of ship horns blowing to my family in celebration! 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I also want cruising to start. However; unless I’m just way to exhausted from the debate, i read the article differently. The white house did not propose cruising resume November 1st as your title suggests. They did continue the no sail order until October 31 and are HOPING the cruise lines can demonstrate a plan so cruising can begin- but they did not give the go ahead for starting. They even went so far as to state they could extent the no sail order on a month by month basis. Of course, these are all good steps but this is not a “done deal” for sailing in November  as your title states The two other more minor errors were 1) this article was not the first report and 2) the cdc wanted the no sail extended until February 15th. 

My apologies if I misread the article or meaning of your thread. 

“...the Trump administration plans to extend the no-sail order for cruise ships until October 31. (That matches the endpoint of the cruise industry's self-imposed ban.)

• The administration hopes that between now and then, the cruise industry can demonstrate it has a plan to ensure "ships can sail in a safe and responsible manner and that the companies assume the burden of dealing with any possible outbreaks," said a task force member involved in the talks.”
Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, sidari said:

There is no way that crews can be trained in such a short time frame is November 1st, many Countries have no fly bans to certain areas and any crew arriving would have to Isolate for 14 days!

The industry leaders said they could be ready to go in 30 days.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree that this outcome was much more positive than it could have been. Banning until February 15 in one large swoop seems incredibly short sighted. Can you imagine what cruisers would be feeling today if the ban had actually been extended for 4.5 months?!?!

My point was simply that the White house did not propose cruising resume November 1st....... yet :).

They may do just that on Friday!! We won't have long to wait. 

56 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

If it was extended until February, then the cruise lines would be in real deep doodoo financially, and very possibly could go under. Maybe that's what the CDC wants, so they wouldn't be under pressure to resume anymore.

One has to wonder, if the cruise lines submitted these comprehensive plans, especially the NCL/RCL collaboration that had two CDC members on the workgroup, and the preponderance of feedback from cruisers in their public inquiry, combined with the real time data coming out of Grandiosa and the loud voices from states, cities, port workers, and the lines themselves, to wait until the 11th hour and drop another 5 month extension on it flippantly like that makes me really ask what the driving force behind it is. Regardless of when the cruising starts again, I’m glad there’s a voice of reason speaking now who will sit with the cruise lines and review their plans and work with them to work smartly toward a safe and controlled resume to cruise travel.  The CDC has but ONE mandate: control the spread of virus and disease. They have no obligation to ensure a happy balance to all aspect of living are considered, that is the job of the entire Executive Branch to look at all aspects and assist in making a decision that is good in the big picture. There’s something afoot with the CDC’s lockdown of this Industry, as aviation and theme parks have had ZERO pushback or resistance put in place by CDC. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

One has to wonder, if the cruise lines submitted these comprehensive plans, especially the NCL/RCL collaboration that had two CDC members on the workgroup, and the preponderance of feedback from cruisers in their public inquiry, combined with the real time data coming out of Grandiosa and the loud voices from states, cities, port workers, and the lines themselves, to wait until the 11th hour and drop another 5 month extension on it flippantly like that makes me really ask what the driving force behind it is. Regardless of when the cruising starts again, I’m glad there’s a voice of reason speaking now who will sit with the cruise lines and review their plans and work with them to work smartly toward a safe and controlled resume to cruise travel.  The CDC has but ONE mandate: control the spread of virus and disease. They have no obligation to ensure a happy balance to all aspect of living are considered, that is the job of the entire Executive Branch to look at all aspects and assist in making a decision that is good in the big picture. There’s something afoot with the CDC’s lockdown of this Industry, as aviation and theme parks have had ZERO pushback or resistance put in place by CDC. 

This is one of the best posts I've seen all year about the CDC! Especially the last sentence. I really hadn't thought of it that way until now. The airlines are flying, the hotels are opening, the amusement parks are open, restaurants and bars, too, so why, of all of the branches of the leisure/travel industry, are cruise lines being singled out like this? And having traveled recently, I can say with confidence that the airlines and hotels are doing a good job keeping things safe. With the RCL/NCL panel you have 74 specific recommendations and yet the CDC thinks THAT isn't good enough? Come on!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is one of the best posts I've seen all year about the CDC! Especially the last sentence. I really hadn't thought of it that way until now. The airlines are flying, the hotels are opening, the amusement parks are open, restaurants and bars, too, so why, of all of the branches of the leisure/travel industry, are cruise lines being singled out like this? And having traveled recently, I can say with confidence that the airlines and hotels are doing a good job keeping things safe. With the RCL/NCL panel you have 74 specific recommendations and yet the CDC thinks THAT isn't good enough? Come on!

I hope they take into account the success of the limited cruising that has gone on for a few weeks, now, successfully.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Absolutely.  The CDC is dragging its feet because it wants to be able to sell you a vaccine and they don't have one yet.  They peddle approximately $60 million worth of vaccines a year.  All of them untested.  There has never been a double blind placebo controlled study on any vaccine on the market.  Never.  And the vaccine manufacturers have absolutely no liability should you suffer ill effects from their vaccines.  Nice work if you can get it.  I guess if you are a big drug company and you pay enough money in bribes you can achieve this.

You do realize that the cruise industry is the only industry in the country which is prohibited from operating.  Definitely there is something afoot.

• Like 1

The way I read this is that the politicians are trying to end the CDC ban. Does not mean that they are ordering the cruise companies to sail on November 1st.

Everything depends on science which has to be the basis for all safety programs. So far, we have not seen some cruise companies commit to that science. Plaintiff lawyers are just waiting for companies to make foolish mistakes.

I'm certainly not getting on a ship with dodgy safety programs and unsafe guests.

In any case, memories are short. Let's not forget the mass casualty events on the Diamond and Ruby Princess etc. Have not heard that happening on airplanes, in airports and cinemas since masks and distancing became mandatory.

BTW, check the statistics. Florida still has a high testing positivity rate; 10%. Is it safe to travel to FL? How about Iowa, Idaho, Missouri and Nevada etc? New York and California looks better.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida

12 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

There’s something afoot with the CDC’s lockdown of this Industry, as aviation and theme parks have had ZERO pushback or resistance put in place by CDC. 

Totally agree.

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Absolutely.  The CDC is dragging its feet because it wants to be able to sell you a vaccine and they don't have one yet.  They peddle approximately $60 million worth of vaccines a year.

Also agree with this.

10 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I hope they take into account the success of the limited cruising that has gone on for a few weeks, now, successfully.

Agree.  There is a model for cruising safely, it is happening now.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

BTW, check the statistics. Florida still has a high testing positivity rate; 10%. Is it safe to travel to FL? How about Iowa, Idaho, Missouri and Nevada etc? New York and California looks better.

You are looking at a cumulative rate.  Florida's daily rate has been around 4% for some time now

• Like 3

11 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The way I read this is that the politicians are trying to end the CDC ban. Does not mean that they are ordering the cruise companies to sail on November 1st.

Everything depends on science which has to be the basis for all safety programs. So far, we have not seen some cruise companies commit to that science. Plaintiff lawyers are just waiting for companies to make foolish mistakes.

I'm certainly not getting on a ship with dodgy safety programs and unsafe guests.

In any case, memories are short. Let's not forget the mass casualty events on the Diamond and Ruby Princess etc. Have not heard that happening on airplanes, in airports and cinemas since masks and distancing became mandatory.

As far as florida is concerned most ships sail from Miami, Fort Lauderdale & Palm Beach.  Each one of these ports ate in counties( Miami Dade, Broward & Palm Beach Counties) with some of the highest covid rates with increases occurring daily.

One thing MSC has going for them is the new shops w better air circulation & the ability to retrofit these facilities.

A cruise line most likely wouldn't invest those $$$ to retrofit older ships like CRYSTAL.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KennyFla said:

You are looking at a cumulative rate.  Florida's daily rate has been around 4% for some time now

Correction. The blue line is (as stated) the 7-Day Moving Average for the positivity rate. The orange bar graph shows the daily number of tests. The daily tests can swing wildly, thereby giving big swings in the positivity rates. Some might be tempted to cherry pick a date/number.

Cumulative - increasing or increased in quantity, degree, or force by successive additions: "the cumulative effect of two years of drought".    Oxford Dictionaries

At this point, we should give a standing ovation to the scientists and the doctors. Everywhere that covid19 is under control, the eggheads have convinced the politicians to take it seriously.

21 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

What do we know, we just live here.  Here are the latest numbers from the Florida Dept of Health:

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

I think there are some on this board that are NeverCruisers

Yes and I think you may have recently written something to the effect of "there will be a lot of disappointed people once cruising resumes," which I wholeheartedly agree with. There are those among us who would rather be right than on vacation. It beggars belief. I want cruising to resume ASAP (with reasonable protocols in place, obviously). Not "when there's a vaccine," "when things are back to normal," when it's totally and completely safe and not a soul even so much as sneezes onboard or similar unattainable metrics. ASAP.

• Like 4

From cruisehive website:

"A final decision by the White House is set to take place on Friday when cruise industry leaders are set to meet with the Trump administration to discuss the ways they will keep guests and crew safe and implement a safe return of cruises.

In November, cruise lines could then be able to resume operations but with strict new health measures in place just like what’s already happening in Europe with Costa Cruises, MSC Cruises, Aida Cruises, and TUI Cruises. When operations do resume they will likely be with one ship to test the waters and not at full capacity."

I found this last line of this excerpt interesting.  I'm trying to remember where I also saw the lines were planning the first couple of sailings using crew only, but my memory fails to kickstart on where I saw that, so can't confirm, yet.

• Like 1