cancun safety discussion

luckyinpa

been searching some resorts since cruising isnt an option. now. you hear on the news about mexico and cartels etc. ive read zona hotelera is pretty safe. but wondering your real life experiences there lately regards to safety as it relates to crime and comfort. i know all the bars etc are closed but thats not my scene anyway. id never be out late at nite. at least not away from the hotel. 

so whats your cancun experience/

We have a home in the Riviera Maya (closer to Playa Del Carmen) and feel safe living there. Of course there is crime in the larger cities, just as in US cities. And cartels do exist and probably extort protection money from small businesses. But as a tourist, then as a resident we are not impacted by any activities like that if they do occur.

The hotel zone in Cancun is quite safe as it is the premier tourist destination. The strip is lined with grand hotels and condo buildings along the beach as well as high-end shopping.

You will get much more useful feedback from a land-based focused forum like those on TripAdvisor-

Cancun

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150807-i8-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

PDC

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150812-i23-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Quintana Roo (the state)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1575485-i14383-Quintana_Roo_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a land vacation that replaced a canceled cruise to Progreso and Cozumel. We stayed at the Hyatt Ziva (northeastern tip of the Hotel Zone, by the lighthouse), and while restaurants were on rotation (one or two closed each lunch and dinner), there was no shortage of things to do (and eat). Two of the three excursions we booked went as scheduled (the one cancellation was reduced from three to two times a week, and mine was the day that got cut).

Nothing seemed sketchy anywhere we went; indeed, I've felt less safe driving through parts of Detroit.

Yes the hotel zone is a very busy and lively area and feels safe. The Ziva (née Dreams) is at the top corner of the “7” and you can walk to many shops or take a short bus to the high-end malls. Cancun is an “easy” destination for US and Canadian tourists, much like Aruba...

Last winter we did 7 weeks of independent travel in Mexico.   Started in the Cancun area.  Spent time in Playa (resort), Puerto Moreles, Merida, and Cancun.  Never felt unsafe or threated.  Bused for Cancun-Merida-Playa.  Never an issue.  We do not frequent the bars.  We do go out at night for dinner.

We went on Huatulco, Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and PV (resort and hotels).  Air and bus.  Never felt unsafe at any location. 

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 5:33 PM, teknoge3k said:

We just got home from a 10 day vacation in Cancun as well. We spent a lot of time at Isla Mujeres but most of our time in the HZ in Cancun. Glad you had fun as well blue_water!

Can I get your thoughts of Isla Mujeres? We are thinking about booking a trip there. 

59 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Can I get your thoughts of Isla Mujeres? We are thinking about booking a trip there. 

I love Isla Mujeres! It's a getaway from Cancun, as IM is very laid back. I recommend getting you a golf cart while you're there. That's how many people traverse the island. 

14 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I love Isla Mujeres! It's a getaway from Cancun, as IM is very laid back. I recommend getting you a golf cart while you're there. That's how many people traverse the island. 

We are considering staying on the island and would definitely be renting a golf cart for our stay. Any recommendations on a place to rent from? Places to go, things that are a must see, and things to do? We have Garrafon, Playa Norte, Punta Sur, scuba MUSA, and whale sharks on our list. We would really love to go to Xcaret, but I know it's quite the drive just from Cancun and we'd have to take the ferry over first. Thoughts on a good way to get there? Or should I just split up our time between Isla and Cancun?

1 minute ago, mitsugirly said:

We are considering staying on the island and would definitely be renting a golf cart for our stay. Any recommendations on a place to rent from? Places to go, things that are a must see, and things to do? We have Garrafon, Playa Norte, Punta Sur, scuba MUSA, and whale sharks on our list. We would really love to go to Xcaret, but I know it's quite the drive just from Cancun and we'd have to take the ferry over first. Thoughts on a good way to get there? Or should I just split up our time between Isla and Cancun?

When we go there, we rent our golf carts from Rentadora Joaquin which is right across from the ferry when you arrive on the island. You turn right out of the ferry terminal, and it's across the street up about a block. 

IM is fairly small, so you could do everything you want there with no issue. It's very easy to get around and quick as well. 

6 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

When we go there, we rent our golf carts from Rentadora Joaquin which is right across from the ferry when you arrive on the island. You turn right out of the ferry terminal, and it's across the street up about a block. 

IM is fairly small, so you could do everything you want there with no issue. It's very easy to get around and quick as well. 

Thanks so much for the info.

We’ve only visited Isla Mujeres and have taken visiting friends and family to Isla Mujeres to tour the island over the years, they always have fun touring the small island.

We’ve rented carts from a few different outfits, Joaquin is also our favorite…

Have you chosen a hotel yet? Some hotels will have carts or will coordinate with a rental outfit for you. Friends just spent a week and their hotel ensured a cart was available for the days they wanted…

The island has gotten crazy busy the past 10 - 15 years, and even busier the last 7 years with the sargassum onslaught since the west coast beaches are less affected. So from May - August more folks are going to Cozumel and IM for that reason…At least according to posts on the various TripAdvisor forums…

We’ve always headed to Punta Sur to see the spectacular cliff views, some of m favorite shots are from there. We were there when the palapa was first built, and we would eat at the small cafe there many years ago. But it has just gotten so built-up and busy there now we bypass that altogether. We did take friends to Punta Sur on an April trip because they wanted to see the views and we’ve never, ever seen it so congested there. Luckily I was able to park the cart well before the entry and we didn’t get stuck in the mess…

Our favorite part of the tour is always the quieter east shore. Beautiful views, homes, and quiet! We had considered building there rather than on the mainland, it is that beautiful! We will stop at the cemetery if there are no services, then at Villa La Bella for a Margarita and their “Beer so cold it’ll make your teeth hurt”…But just a good spot to hit if you are driving by. Our favorite lunch spot is Oscar’s, their stuffed mahi is great, and I like the Sicilian pizza..Right on the marina about 800 meters past Chedraui…

I agree with you that Xcaret and other sights south of PDC are just too far to really enjoy…If you were staying in Cancun I would highly recommend splitting your time between the HZ and Merida and Valladolid…two extremely very different experiences…

21 hours ago, blue_water said:

We’ve only visited Isla Mujeres and have taken visiting friends and family to Isla Mujeres to tour the island over the years, they always have fun touring the small island.

We’ve rented carts from a few different outfits, Joaquin is also our favorite…

Have you chosen a hotel yet? Some hotels will have carts or will coordinate with a rental outfit for you. Friends just spent a week and their hotel ensured a cart was available for the days they wanted…

The island has gotten crazy busy the past 10 - 15 years, and even busier the last 7 years with the sargassum onslaught since the west coast beaches are less affected. So from May - August more folks are going to Cozumel and IM for that reason…At least according to posts on the various TripAdvisor forums…

We’ve always headed to Punta Sur to see the spectacular cliff views, some of m favorite shots are from there. We were there when the palapa was first built, and we would eat at the small cafe there many years ago. But it has just gotten so built-up and busy there now we bypass that altogether. We did take friends to Punta Sur on an April trip because they wanted to see the views and we’ve never, ever seen it so congested there. Luckily I was able to park the cart well before the entry and we didn’t get stuck in the mess…

Our favorite part of the tour is always the quieter east shore. Beautiful views, homes, and quiet! We had considered building there rather than on the mainland, it is that beautiful! We will stop at the cemetery if there are no services, then at Villa La Bella for a Margarita and their “Beer so cold it’ll make your teeth hurt”…But just a good spot to hit if you are driving by. Our favorite lunch spot is Oscar’s, their stuffed mahi is great, and I like the Sicilian pizza..Right on the marina about 800 meters past Chedraui…

I agree with you that Xcaret and other sights south of PDC are just too far to really enjoy…If you were staying in Cancun I would highly recommend splitting your time between the HZ and Merida and Valladolid…two extremely very different experiences…

Thank so much Blue. I appreciate it.