CDC director overruled on cruise ship ban

Jancruz

Robert Redfield director of CDC overruled when trying to extend no sail order  for the time being..The no sail ban is only until October 31st..

then a plan may be put into place for sailing again or they can add another 30 days..Sorry I dont know how to post the article but it is on Axios..Can someone please post article..

Thanks

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

9 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Robert Redfield director of CDC overruled when trying to extend no sail order  for the time being..The no sail ban is only until October 31st..

then a plan may be put into place for sailing again or they can add another 30 days..Sorry I dont know how to post the article but it is on Axios..

Jancruz1

You might look at "Ask a Cruise Question" where it's already being discussed.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Thank you..I am so excited..keeping fingers crossed

Jancruz1

You're excited that the White House is overruling the CDC. I'm amazed. You do realize that this is almost certainly politically motivated. Timing???

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can’t wait for cruises to restart.  If you can fly and stay at hotels there is no reason people should not have the freedom to cruise if they choose to do so.  Giving people freedom to make choices is politically motived?  Yes, I think it is great that lifetime bureaucrats who have no accountability for the downsides to shutting down industries and putting people out of business can be overruled by people that are accountable for their decisions.  If you are uncomfortable with a cruise line’s safety protocols then you don’t have to cruise.  Freedom is wonderful. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, tennis said:

I can’t wait for cruises to restart.  If you can fly and stay at hotels there is no reason people should not have the freedom to cruise if they choose to do so.  Giving people freedom to make choices is politically motived?  Yes, I think it is great that lifetime bureaucrats who have no accountability for the downsides to shutting down industries and putting people out of business can be overruled by people that are accountable for their decisions.  If you are uncomfortable with a cruise line’s safety protocols then you don’t have to cruise.  Freedom is wonderful. 

What are the odds that a cruise line (or CDC or someone else) will get sued if someone gets sick?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

What are the odds that a cruise line (or CDC or someone else) will get sued if someone gets sick?

I've thought about the liability issue quite a bit, relatively speaking. It seems that the CDC has many problems to solve before they will be comfortable releasing the ships. And if they don't wait, and if the cruise lines don't wait...well, yes, what about that liability? Stopping cruising has had financial repercussions but COVID has had even more.  Here in the West we are SLOWLY opening things up and the cases are rising. A friend of mine in SF only today was able to go to her hair salon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tennis said:

I think this is naive. Yes, there should be freedom to cruise but then there will also be freedom for ports to accept or not ships with infected passengers or not as happened in March and April (remember the chaos then) and then how are the passengers going to disembark?

• Like 3

If the CDC says extend the no sail order, the White House should respect it.  Instead the White House is more interested in ships sailing again.  Unfortunately, that may wrongly make some would be cruisers think that cruising is safe. After all, we rely on the CDC to protect health. While I hope that cruising will be safe, what will the White House do if cruisers sail and get covid?  Perhaps, the cruise industry will wait to resume sailing and not listen to the White House.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

I think this is naive. Yes, there should be freedom to cruise but then there will also be freedom for ports to accept or not ships with infected passengers or not as happened in March and April (remember the chaos then) and then how are the passengers going to disembark?

I think "naive" is a good word. I also think "selfish and blind to the facts" is a good phrase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

Who will pay for repatriation if that becomes necessary?

All these questions that haven't been answered. While I totally agree with you I would change "if" to "when."

Here in FL where many of the cruises originate, the state has been open for business since late May.  We peaked in late July/early August and our death rate is at 66 per 100,000, the same or less than many states that are still completely locked down.  We also have one of the oldest populations in the country. There is no rhyme or reason to the number of per capita deaths in various states (our only certain statistic)

I have been flying throughout the entire pandemic.  In March, flights were empty, my flights to and from Orlando have been full for the past two months and restaurants are very busy.  We spent a weekend at the beach a few weeks ago and our hotel was full.  We’ve been to Disney numerous times which, on the other hand, is never crowded. 

All the experts and politicians have ideas about how to run the country during the pandemic but COVID has a mind of its own.  Many ships are sailing without issue and some have had large outbreaks.  I think everyone has to decide what level of risk they are comfortable with, just like going to restaurants, shopping, hotels, theaters.....  I’ll for sure be on one of the first ships out as soon as sailings are announced and I can book, but I’ve had the vaccine so it’s not really an issue here.

30 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

We peaked in late July/early August and our death rate is at 66 per 100,000

Lots to unpack in your post! What vaccine have you had? Have you been part of a test group?

True, Florida numbers are lower than they were some time ago when they are horrendously scary. Today Florida had over 1900 new cases. More importantly, Florida has about 370,000 active cases. 

Plus it won't only be Floridians on your ship!

Here in Toronto, Canada, we are worried that we are moving into the second wave.

• Like 2

I’m certain MSC and TUI are both sailing as they have been reporting live, leaving passengers in port who don’t comply with rules etc.  I’m not sure who else is sailing as I don’t sail any of those lines.  I’m sure someone here know which ships are operating????  I think the Grandiosa and Magnifica.  I have no idea what the TUI ships are named.  I didn’t realize that I have prepare briefs for my posts.  I retired from the courtroom several years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How many cases are irrelevant.  How may deaths per capita shows us the true measure of danger.  

My niece has COVID right now and she is bored to tears, can’t smell but otherwise feels fine.  My step daughter had it in May, she cleaned her house from top to bottom during her quarantine.  Neither was very sick.  Florida’s death rate is dropping which is great for such an elderly population.  It’s lower than New York, Illinois, California, Michigan.....  most all other large population states and we are living pretty normally here.

32 minutes ago, vaitape said:

No one HAS to cruise....Your World Your Way Your Choice. Make your own decision. That's what free people do.

Thanks so much for this comment. There are quite a few things that may be iffy re COVID but we have to do it. But a vacation? No. Never.

• Like 1