CDC director overruled on cruise ship ban

Jancruz

40 minutes ago, nikless said:

Approved?  Not aware of anything besides the recommendations submitted to CDC, who if rumors about their being overruled are correct, obviously are not comfortable with resumption before 2021.

I am also curious about someone who tests positive 2-3 days after getting off the ship.  Will contact tracing reach back to passengers?

Florida doesn't require any quarantine upon entry into the state at this point, not sure what they will do once cruise lines start back up.  Or will it be regulated at the federal level?

I live in Florida. Our governor has decided against CDC advice to open just about everything up and if Miami-Dade country, where the ships dock, wants to do otherwise, they need to run it by him. I doubt there will be any quarantine requirements here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benita said:

I live in Florida. Our governor has decided against CDC advice to open just about everything up and if Miami-Dade country, where the ships dock, wants to do otherwise, they need to run it by him. I doubt there will be any quarantine requirements here.

Definitely a tale of two States. My sister lives in HI on Oahu. A couple of months ago or so, she called gloating about how their governor had shut down the two major islands, mandatory 2 weeks of quarantine for all travelers, people locked in their hotel rooms to keep the locals safe. Well, people stopped coming, but they still have Covid everywhere. Last night she had the audacity to start pouting about the number of major hotels that have shut down permanently! She was complaining about the huge number of restaurants, many of which had been there for years, that have now closed, permanently. 

She said the merchants are in a panic because of sky high cancellations for the Christmas season, because the government wouldn’t  announce a firm reopening. ( I believe now it’s supposed to be 10/15, but it’s mostly too late of a notification). I told her, the governor got exactly what he asked for! Did the fool think he could leave the economy shutdown indefinitely without ramifications? Guess what, Covid is still rampant without the arrivals!

Maybe the FL governor understood this and choose Covid without as much economic devastation in lieu of Covid and economic destruction. 

Per my sister, if booking in HI for the holidays don’t rebound, January is projected  be a blood bath with more permanent closures and layoffs . 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 4:32 PM, tennis said:

I can’t wait for cruises to restart.  If you can fly and stay at hotels there is no reason people should not have the freedom to cruise if they choose to do so.  Giving people freedom to make choices is politically motived?  Yes, I think it is great that lifetime bureaucrats who have no accountability for the downsides to shutting down industries and putting people out of business can be overruled by people that are accountable for their decisions.  If you are uncomfortable with a cruise line’s safety protocols then you don’t have to cruise.  Freedom is wonderful. 

And once other countries allow US citizens to enter their countries that will seriously affect my travel decisions. If a country is desperate for the business, well, I sympathize but it doesn't affect my decision making.

4 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

pinotlover,  excellent insight, unfortunately, the same situation will occurred too often all over the USA.   Many small business can only hold on so long before they give up because they are bleeding cash.     

Do you have a safe and reasonable solution? Unfortunately I don't. And I put life of people above life of other things. BUT what we're finding is that communities are doing a great job of working out unique solutions.

12 hours ago, clo said:

Do you have a safe and reasonable solution? Unfortunately I don't. And I put life of people above life of other things. BUT what we're finding is that communities are doing a great job of working out unique solutions.

Has it occurred to you that there is no safe and reasonable solution?  There is a price to pay no matter which path you take.  If you look at Europe, the death rate and infection rates took a similiar path whether you locked down or not.  I am not advocating absolutely no procedures.  Protecting the most-at-risk is the highest priority.  Social distancing is the most sensible precaution as well as washing hands.  Wearing masks indoors  where ventilation is poor or limited is another precaution.  Kids under puberty should be going to school.  Their immune system basically protects them from getting the virus - there are exceptions, kids with compromised immune system.   There are many countries around the world that has allowed their kids to return to school.  USA is somewhere in the middle because we are a republic.  Keeping the economy shut down isn't really saving anyone.  It only slows down the spread.  By shutting down, you are paying a high price (the economy and kids not going to school) to find you are only spreading out the timing of the deaths from the disease.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/2/2020 at 12:56 PM, RJB said:

Makes a lot of sense to me.  Without a vaccine there should be no cruise ships allowed to sail from  or enter U.S. waters.  No need to take chances just for a vacation.

But, but, but, I can plan a vacation by plane and I can't for a cruise?  If my December cruise on Riviera goes, so am I!!!

• Like 1

It’s not the going on a cruise that worries me, it’s whether I’ll be allowed to disembark on my own, to ports on the itinerary.

i read today that Portugal doesn’t plan to let cruisers off their ships until May 17.  And there might be a limitation by some countries that all excursions must be ships excursions.  No wandering around port towns on your own.

if I can’t get off to explore on my own, I don’t want to cruise.  I cruise for the itinerary and exploration not to look thru the windows of a bus.

My next cruise is May 24, and I hope I don’t have to cancel again.  Any actual news would be very welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fauci and Redfield have been very clear. They do not take economic consequences into any of their deliberations. They are government employees they get their checks even if a world wide depression occurs.

Many here apparently likewise have no consideration for the plight of millions of Americans that must work to support their families. They believe they have theirs and want to be kept safe regardless of the consequences on others.

Hopefully, our leaders will attempt to balance both sides. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Fauci and Redfield have been very clear. They do not take economic consequences into any of their deliberations. They are government employees they get their checks even if a world wide depression occurs.

Many here apparently likewise have no consideration for the plight of millions of Americans that must work to support their families. They believe they have theirs and want to be kept safe regardless of the consequences on others.

Hopefully, our leaders will attempt to balance both sides. 

Wow, there is so much to unpack in your post that I am speechless, and I sincerely hope I am misreading your intent. Therefore, I respond to your first paragraph only: Drs. Fauci and Redfield are doing their jobs and both could earn much more money if they chose to work in the private sector rather than in public service.  Dr. Fauci certainly would not have to have security for him and his family and put up with all the death threats he and his family still receive. I personally trust what he says regardless of the pressure he endures and cite the resignation of Dr. Amy Acton, public health director in my state of Ohio, for the price these intelligent caring public servants have paid for their efforts.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

...Many here apparently likewise have no consideration for the plight of millions of Americans that must work to support their families...

Wow, is it only Americans who must work to support their families....there is a whole world exists, outwith the USofA!! 🙄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

Wow, is it only Americans who must work to support their families....there is a whole world exists, outwith the USofA!! 🙄

I have no clue whether the Scottish Ministery of Health takes into to consideration economic consequences of their decisions or not. Perhaps they consider it outside their purview likewise. If Scotland opts to ban all cruise ships from their ports that is entirely within their elected leaders prerogative. However, if they did so, I wouldn’t be as brazen as to say out with Scotland. I’d just be comfortable in saying “ if they don’t want us and our tourist dollars, I have no desire to go there and won’t!” Win-Win

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

But, but, but, I can plan a vacation by plane and I can't for a cruise?  If my December cruise on Riviera goes, so am I!!!

But, but, but you an get off the plane in 2, 3 4,  or maybe 8 hours.  On a cruise ship if they come down with Covert you could be stuck at a foreign port for weeks. Not be allowed to get off, not to go home.   Big difference.  We each have  to do what we think is good for us. Hope we all stay safe no matter how we do it. 

18 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Wow, there is so much to unpack in your post that I am speechless, and I sincerely hope I am misreading your intent. Therefore, I respond to your first paragraph only: Drs. Fauci and Redfield are doing their jobs and both could earn much more money if they chose to work in the private sector rather than in public service.  Dr. Fauci certainly would not have to have security for him and his family and put up with all the death threats he and his family still receive. I personally trust what he says regardless of the pressure he endures and cite the resignation of Dr. Amy Acton, public health director in my state of Ohio, for the price these intelligent caring public servants have paid for their efforts.

Thank you SO much! I can barely imagine the pressure they're under to perform like trained monkeys. I think they do an amazing job. I wonder if they get paid extra for "suffering fools."

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’d just be comfortable in saying “ if they don’t want us and our tourist dollars, I have no desire to go there and won’t!”

Yes, you've been quite vocal about that. Maybe NO country will want your dollars. Lots of good wine in the US if you can't travel intl.

@hamrag, there are some very arrogant 'Americans' but we're not all like that. Promise.

5 hours ago, RJB said:

But, but, but you an get off the plane in 2, 3 4,  or maybe 8 hours.  On a cruise ship if they come down with Covert you could be stuck at a foreign port for weeks. Not be allowed to get off, not to go home.   Big difference.  We each have  to do what we think is good for us. Hope we all stay safe no matter how we do it. 

Exactly. I can't quite imagine a long intl flight yet but it might happen before a cruise.

37 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes, you've been quite vocal about that. Maybe NO country will want your dollars. Lots of good wine in the US if you can't travel intl.

@hamrag, there are some very arrogant 'Americans' but we're not all like that. Promise.

Indeed, and I am delighted to report we have met and befriended some delightful American people across our many cruises and land based holidays in the good 'ole USofA. Sadly, also some arrogant variants but we have a good few in Scotland also!

Thanks for your kind words.

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Indeed, and I am delighted to report we have met and befriended some delightful American people across our many cruises and land based holidays in the good 'ole USofA. Sadly, also some arrogant variants but we have a good few in Scotland also!

Ah, my mother’s family are Buchanan’s from Loch Lomond. Incredible that they would leave such a progressive paradise in the late 1700s!

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

I can understand you perfectly so you must not be a Glaswegian. LOL. 

21 hours ago, clo said:

Exactly. I can't quite imagine a long intl flight yet but it might happen before a cruise.

It is going to take me 32 hours of traveling to get to Namibia next may for a safari. This includes 4 flight segments and a 13 hour layover in Brussels. I can't wait to go. I'd go next week if I could.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

It is going to take me 32 hours of traveling to get to Namibia next may for a safari. This includes 4 flight segments and a 13 hour layover in Brussels. I can't wait to go. I'd go next week if I could.

About a dozen years ago we went from West Coast/NYC/London/Nairobi. Gratefully we spent a week with friends in Manhatan first. Then a red eye to LHR and got a day room near the airport. Then another red eye to Nairobi where we got picked up for a long trek to our first stop. It was brutal but so worth it.