Whitehouse, cruiseline CDC sit down Friday?

jimbo5544

Hope this goes well! A November return to sailing announcement is politically expedient. It's the best of both worlds as it allows a goodwill gesture and is also perfectly timed to not affect the reelection efforts should something go awry. It won't matter at that point since the election would be over. It's a good compromise move that is pro-worker, pro-business and an insurance policy at the same time. I don't anticipate there being any impediments to sailing resuming in November.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

WSJ has a blurb in this morning's paper that the White House blocked the CDC's efforts to extend the ban. I'll go find it and actually read it...

There are a bunch of articles online that discuss Pence telling the CDC no to their plan to extend the no sail order thru February. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I still don’t understand the CDC’s obsession with keeping cruise lines from sailing from US ports. 

They view it as unnecessary, if they can eliminate it from happening it makes it easier.  I thought their wording of the the extension to be very telling. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I still don’t understand the CDC’s obsession with keeping cruise lines from sailing from US ports. 

Probably understand that hospital capacities are already stretched and a worst case cruise ship scenario would leave many cases to die.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This was posted on another CDC related thread and may help explain the difference between sailings in Europe v the U.S.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:05 AM, Linda the Book Lover said:

It is time to cruise, period. MSC is doing well in Europe and added another ship to their sailings. Yes, there are still cases popping up but I think especially since one could fly all of these months we should also be able to cruise with a good protocol in place. 

Again, the big difference is that Europe has universal health care, and the EU has agreed that the cruise lines can make agreements with local public health agencies to care for ill passengers and quarantine those who need it.  In the US, with our public hospitals run by for profit corporations, and not having universal health care, the CDC does not want cruise ships to overburden that local, state, or federal health care system, and so requires that ill passengers and those needing quarantine be handled by private firms contracted to the cruise lines.  Until just recently, when the advisory board recommended that this be adopted, the cruise lines had fought tooth and nail against it.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They think parts of Europe may have peaked for the second wave which could be a sign that it isn't worse than the first. Now if only the US could get out of the first wave.

Daily New Case wise, this second wave is far worse than the first for France and Spain, whereas Germany and Italy have done a far better job keeping it contained.  Europe as a whole is doing worse on the second wave.

Death Rate wise it is far better all around - I believe the consensus is that medical staff know how to treat it better, and it is hitting a younger (healthier) crowd now.

It is still early days in the "dip since peak" - October will be a very telling month for Europe, IMHO.

Carnival Cruise Line’s return to service plan and CLIA’s guiding principles will serve as the foundation. Some of the elements you can expect are the following:

• 100% testing of all guests and team members
  • Policies with regard to wearing masks by all guests and team members, in designated venues and environments on board the ship and during shore excursions
  • Enhanced medical staffing, facilities, equipment, onboard testing capabilities and quarantine/isolation resources
  • Shore excursions limited to only those providers who can uphold our own protocols and denied boarding to guests who fail to abide by shore excursion protocols.

So, will Carnival be providing Covid-19 rapid test or will we be required to have proof of our own test before we are allowed to board?

6 minutes ago, mouche said:

Carnival Cruise Line’s return to service plan and CLIA’s guiding principles will serve as the foundation. Some of the elements you can expect are the following:

• 100% testing of all guests and team members
  • Policies with regard to wearing masks by all guests and team members, in designated venues and environments on board the ship and during shore excursions
  • Enhanced medical staffing, facilities, equipment, onboard testing capabilities and quarantine/isolation resources
  • Shore excursions limited to only those providers who can uphold our own protocols and denied boarding to guests who fail to abide by shore excursion protocols.

So, will Carnival be providing Covid-19 rapid test or will we be required to have proof of our own test before we are allowed to board?

No-one knows, at least beyond the cones of silence at Carnival HQ.  Could be both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coevan said:

If my math is correct and they can do the test in 15 minutes, 3,000 tests would take 45,000 minutes or 750 hours, even a 5 minute test would be 250 hours. 

I think they not going to sail with full capacity 50% or 60% only.

I’m ready to book a cruise out my home port  Miami maybe the second or third sailing. Let’s see what happen.

29 minutes ago, coevan said:

If my math is correct and they can do the test in 15 minutes, 3,000 tests would take 45,000 minutes or 750 hours, even a 5 minute test would be 250 hours. 

Perhaps if one person did everything sequentially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1