Verona Opera

dogs4fun

7 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Has anyone attended the Opera Festival at the Arena di Verona? Assuming travel is prudent, thinking of attending performance of Turandot in September, 2021. Any tips?? 

The Arena is certainly one of the most amazing Opera venues not to mention the largest Opera venue in the world.  It is located very close to the main shopping/tourist center of Verona so we suggest you might want to head to the area a few hours early and relax at a nearby cafe/restaurant/bar until it is time to head for the Arena.  Unfortunately for us, the last time we attended an Opera (Aida) was one of the very rare evenings when they had to stop the performance because of severe thunderstorms.  We had all the thousands of Opera goers sheltering under the seating area (it is inside) for more then an hour as the violent storm passed by Verona.  Afterwards,   they brought in Armored trucks full of cash and refunded the ticket prices to all non-Italians while the Italians were told to go home and later apply for a refund via mail :).  

For those who enjoy Opera, going to the Arena di Verona is something very special and I strongly recommend it.

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

the last time we attended an Opera (Aida) was one of the very rare evenings when they had to stop the performance because of severe thunderstorms.

Thanks for responding, Hank. I will be staying a few days in Verona (one pre, one post) & will definitely make an evening out of the experience.  It looks absolutely amazing & I have long wanted to attend - hopefully my wish will be fulfilled in 2021. 

I find September weather perfect in Italy - hopefully no rain.

Just a few questions if you don't mind...

What month did you attend? I am assuming that nice slacks w/blouse is acceptable attire for myself? How about acceptable attire for males?

Any recommendations for a nice restaurant in the arena area pre performance?

I assume you paid for the assigned seats? I've read a great deal online & most Italians recommend sitting on the steps. I don't really want to sit on the steps - even renting cushions there would be no back support, correct? (sitting on steps & rocks was fine when attending concerts at Red Rocks in my 20s but now, not so much)

Any recommendations for a great seating choice??  I pored over the seating chart & found it somewhat confusing.  The 1st or 2nd sector stalls (center) look good - would you recommend these seats?

TIA

13 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Thanks for responding, Hank. I will be staying a few days in Verona (one pre, one post) & will definitely make an evening out of the experience.  It looks absolutely amazing & I have long wanted to attend - hopefully my wish will be fulfilled in 2021. 

I find September weather perfect in Italy - hopefully no rain.

Just a few questions if you don't mind...

What month did you attend? I am assuming that nice slacks w/blouse is acceptable attire for myself? How about acceptable attire for males?

Any recommendations for a nice restaurant in the arena area pre performance?

I assume you paid for the assigned seats? I've read a great deal online & most Italians recommend sitting on the steps. I don't really want to sit on the steps - even renting cushions there would be no back support, correct? (sitting on steps & rocks was fine when attending concerts at Red Rocks in my 20s but now, not so much)

Any recommendations for a great seating choice??  I pored over the seating chart & found it somewhat confusing.  The 1st or 2nd sector stalls (center) look good - would you recommend these seats?

TIA

It was a few years ago but I am pretty sure it was the latter part of June.   DW reminds me we stopped in Verona while on an extended driving trip and stayed in a normal kind of motel just outside of town.   We came into town in late afternoon, walked through the main shopping area (within easy walking distance of the Opera) and then sat at an outdoor cafe near the shopping area and within sight of the Arena.  We have no clue as to the name, but we are talking about a decent cafe (packed because of the Opera) and nothing special as far as food.   We did rent cushions (everyone does) and there was no decent back support (kind of like sitting in a college football stadium).  We bought medium priced seats in the Grandstand (probably the 2 Settore Verdi secion and were at a medium height on the left side of the huge stage.  I would recommend the best seats you can reasonably afford but keep in mind this is a huge outdoor venue (unlike any other Opera venue ).  If you want a real chair I think you would need to be in the higher priced seats on the infield (probably in the 200 Euro range) Think in terms of a large outdoor concert venue so no matter where you sit you will have an OK view with the best seats (very expensive) being on the ground in front of the stage.  Since their Aida production involves huge sets we thought it was fine to be a bit more distant from the stage.  The sound was quite good and I guess we need to remember that they have been doing this for many years and know how to put on a great show.   We did buy our tickets online several months prior to the production.  Since Aida is probably the most popular production at the Arena tickets had to purchased weeks/months in advance and there must have been about 15,000 at that show.

That failed Aida concert (thanks to the awful storm) was quite memorable because of how well organized they were in immediately refunding money to we non-locals.  Once they finally announced the production was cancelled (after a long wait under the stands) and the rain stopped I recall that DW and I waited in a queue (at a portable bank trailer) for no more then 20 minutes and were handed cash once we got to the window.   They kept announcing that locals and other Italians should go home and later seek their refunds.  Given that most things in Italy are poorly organized (after all it is Italy) this was a first class operation.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

...with the best seats (very expensive) being on the ground in front of the stage. 

Thank you - I need to check-out restaurants within sight of the arena (have some questions posted on the TripAdvisor Italy forum & hopefully will hear from a local).

I think I will book the 2nd sector stalls (I realize they are expensive) as I feel that the acoustics will be ideal here and, bonus, the seats have backs (have old back injury from spinal fracture).

Looking at the attached seating chart, I have outlined the stalls I wish to book. Are these the seats that you referred to as "the best seats"?

I can't believe that they still allow candles but imagine it presents a truly spectacular sight. Now I will pray that it does not rain during the performance! 

Fond-_Arena-Posti_MN-2020_4feb20_cpd-web.jpg

I am trying to answer you from this ole senior memory but I recall that all those seats in the infield (like where you circled) were on a single plane (no stands or elevation).  So you would be located behind multiple sections of other seats (on the same level) which can cause some obstruction from the heads in front of you.  That being said, the stage is relatively high off the ground so you would still have a decent view looking up towards the stage.  Looking at the diagram most would say the best seats are in that grey area (front center) but they are expensive and generally sold out.  Also consider there is a really large orchestra located in front of the stage so I imagine it is a bit loud near the stage.  But if back support is important you definitely want to be in those infield seats (like the one's you have circled).

Speaking of rain, we were told that it is very rare for a performance to be cancelled.  Verona is relatively dry during the Opera season and even when they have some rain the norm is for everyone to shelter under the grandstand and wait out the rain.  The problem on our Aida evening was the T-storms were violent and continued for about an hour with more storms forecast.   We have done a lot of independent (and cruise) travel in Italy and that night was the worst summer weather we ever experienced.  Just bad luck for us.

Hank 

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Looking at the diagram most would say the best seats are in that grey area (front center) but they are expensive and generally sold out.

Yes, the seats in the grey area would probably be considered the best seats (not yet sold out - €260 per person) & you are correct regarding the single plane (I hadn't considered that). 

Do you recall how far in advance you purchased your tickets? 

I have been reading their refund policy & it appears that there will be no refund once the performance begins (or am I missing something?) and once purchased, tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded. I am not particularly excited about the prospect of losing €520 if I purchase this far in advance and have to cancel the trip due to circumstances beyond my control. I may have to tough it out on the steps after all - have some decisions to make. 

https://www.arena.it/arena/en/pages/exchanges-refunds-tickets-arena-di-verona.html

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, the seats in the grey area would probably be considered the best seats (not yet sold out - €260 per person) & you are correct regarding the single plane (I hadn't considered that). 

Do you recall how far in advance you purchased your tickets? 

I have been reading their refund policy & it appears that there will be no refund once the performance begins (or am I missing something?) and once purchased, tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded. I am not particularly excited about the prospect of losing €520 if I purchase this far in advance and have to cancel the trip due to circumstances beyond my control. I may have to tough it out on the steps after all - have some decisions to make. 

https://www.arena.it/arena/en/pages/exchanges-refunds-tickets-arena-di-verona.html

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

We bought our tickets at least 6 months in advance, but it was a different world with no COVID.  And, as I mentioned, Aida is probably the most popular opera they perform at the Arena because of the spectacular staging and costumes.  With the current situation I have no idea how to plan.  I assume they are not even considering social distancing.  I wish I had a crystal ball that would tell us all what to do about 2021 reservations.  Like you, we have travel plans (including trips to Asia, Europe and South America) and are being careful to avoid non-refundable obligations.   Would we shell out €520 for tickets now?  I doubt it.  These are unusual times.   When it comes to advance purchase non-refundable tickets the Dirty Harry line comes to mind;  "Do you feel lucky...?"

Hank

• 5 weeks later...

This place for dinner:

Osteria Casa Vino

Vicolo Morette 8/a

045 800 4337 

I spent about two months in Verona a few years ago, and so I got to eat in many places. First I was in Centro Storico, a quick walk from Piazza Bra where the Arena di Verona is, and one night I stumbled across this place and had the best meal of my stay here. I keep it permanently open in a browser page on my phone, it was that good. By the time I'd gone there, I'd been to many places. (I'd also moved out to Borgo Venezia, a bus ride from Centro Storico, I wanted to live a bit outside the main area since my plan was to stay awhile.)

Also had really terrific, long, rectangular pizza at 

Bella Napoli (go figure)
Via Guglielmo Marconi 11

37122 Verona

045 806 9182

Opera, well Arena season was opening not long after I arrived, Aida was scheduled opening night with super star performers and was sold out so I was busy making plans for what I would see when in a short amount of time, I would unexpectedly have to fly home on 4th July. You can hear a little bit when around the Arena but obviously not the same. I never got tired of being near it though, what a view! They have shows that aren't opera too, but I'd say more than half of the programming is opera. Why wouldn't it be? 

And yes, I did try some of the places where you can sit in view of the Arena which tend to charge a fee (sometimes, it tended to depend on the time of day and how busy their competitors were) for sitting (it's not like there was a bar to stand, and so it was a tourist charge, essentially. Food was only average. 

There is also a great place, if you're into like an afternoon or late evening repast:

Bottega del Vino

Vicolo Scudo di Francia 3

37121 Verona

045 800 4635

It's down a tiny little street perpendicular to the Zara store. Not touristy, some expats mixed in with locals. 

There are many gelato places near Piazza Bra/the Arena but they were only average IMO, one up near my hotel was ok; still none better yet than the one I had in Modena (in all of Italy...so far)

La Romana

Piazza Santo Spirito 9

37122 Verona

045 222 1078

I hope when things get normal again (whatever that becomes) you've got tickets for an opera, an airplane, and great plans! I also didn't have time for Lago di Garda but enough already.... Ciao 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 1:14 AM, dogs4fun said:

.. I am assuming that nice slacks w/blouse is acceptable attire for myself? How about acceptable attire for males?..

I think nobody has replied to this question.

If you are seated on the stone ranks there is no real dress code but the miminum requirement:  

for men the minimum request is for long trousers and a shirt. FOR EXAMPLE, THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT ALLOWED: SHORT TROUSERS, TANK TOPS/VESTS, SLIPPERS, SPORTSWEAR, BEACHWEAR, ETC.);

If you go for the better seats it is different: 

In the stalls and numbered step seats elegant dress is required, suited to the decorum of the theatre

When I was there a couple of years ago, a couple of men wore dinner suits/tuxedos, most men suits and tie. Almost all of the ladies were dressed very elegantly.

I had tow nights prebooked in the best seats and once there  I decided to go for a third opera, but got only a stone seat. The atmopshere was very different but both settings were enjoyable. Maybe one can say: Refined Italian elegance, class and style here, lively Italian family life there.

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

If you go for the better seats it is different: 

In the stalls and numbered step seats elegant dress is required, suited to the decorum of the theatre

When I was there a couple of years ago, a couple of men wore dinner suits/tuxedos, most men suits and tie. Almost all of the ladies were dressed very elegantly.

Thank you - much appreciated.