Which Cruise Lines Have Best Internet?

jtwind

44 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I want to make sure that I avoid them.

Unless you are one of those who are horrified by others looking at a screen, you should be good on any cruise line.   You do not have to purchase an internet package.  If it is free, you do not have to turn it on.  If you cannot turn it off, you do not have to connect to wifi with your device.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sounds like an addictive personality - a friend of mine used to say he wished donuts were outlawed, so he wouldn’t have to resist the temptation.

A poor internet connection might be attractive to someone with a fixation on hour glasses.  

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

That might be easier said than done.  Internet is or has been improved on pretty much all the major lines.  And even without great service, more and more lines are using apps to access on board information like accounts, entertainment, etc.

I don't have much opinion one way or the other because it's my choice if I wish to use it, but I do have to say that I get annoyed when someone decides to look at their screen in front of me in a darkened theater during the performances.  😡

Viking Ocean has had consistently great internet connectivity.  I don't have a ton of experience with lots of different lines, but across the five on which we've sailed, Viking internet stands out as the most reliable/fastest, even in remote areas.  And it's included in the fare.

It think the OP... is talking about.... some people who are addicted to social media...

and they simply can't disconnect......

Life is lived via their phone... on holiday take photos and selfies to put on the net to say I have been there..... no stopping to look around... smell the roses....

To put things into perspective... the whole thing with smart phone, i pads and the like, some people end up in the virtual world..... while on holidays at an very high end bouquet hotel... at dinner in their amazing restaurant, with an equally amazing view, this couple each had there own ipads on the table and looked at them all night over dinner... and hardly said a word.......  We thought is was sad,,, they weren't enjoying the moment..... and yes they did the same at breakfast...

Each to his own......  life it what we do with it.... Don 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jtwind said:

Sorry guys.  It's the wife.  I'd rather she didn't have the option to use social media so much while traveling.

Hi

I am sorry to say that I believe you are out of luck. I would say that generally, even with poor connections your wife will be able to use the social media sites. The issue has always been for the person that absolutely needs the speed and reliability that can only be had on land.

Sorry but in the new normal all cruise lines will have to have to have great internet. Passengers will be making reservations for everything. Dining, shows, times to go ashore etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry guys.  It's the wife.  I'd rather she didn't have the option to use social media so much while traveling.

Cruise lines want passengers to use social media onboard. Great free advertising for them. All the cruise ships I have been the last five years Facebook and Instagram worked fine. The only way not to have that option is to cruise on the mainstream cruise lines. On those lines internet packages are an optional purchase. Don’t purchase a package or book a cruise that includes internet.

If your wife wants to use social media while traveling and you want her to use it less you need to work it out with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The great thing in your case is that you need to pay for the internet. Just tell your wife you're not paying for it.

Good grief! It's the 21st century. Hopefully she has financial accounts of her own.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Good grief! It's the 21st century. Hopefully she has financial accounts of her own.

Exactly!  If it is an option, and  it has enough speed to post lots of pictures, an internet package would be purchased, regardless of price.

I don't get the idea of wanting/needing confirmation from others, that yes, you had a great day.  I call it bragging.  It is absolutely the only sticky situation in our blissful marriage.  Folks take a chunk out of their day to tell folks about memorable experiences, when they could be using that time to make more memorable experiences.

53 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The great thing in your case is that you need to pay for the internet. Just tell your wife you're not paying for it.

... but then she might not want to take him on the cruise. 

To use a feeble football analogy, I think the OP is trying to do an end run instead of tackling the problem head on. Since simple avoidance isnt going to work, perhaps it's time to have a talk with your wife about your feelings about how her Internet addiction affects your enjoyment of your vacations.

13 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

It think the OP... is talking about.... some people who are addicted to social media...

and they simply can't disconnect......

Life is lived via their phone... on holiday take photos and selfies to put on the net to say I have been there..... no stopping to look around... smell the roses....

To put things into perspective... the whole thing with smart phone, i pads and the like, some people end up in the virtual world..... while on holidays at an very high end bouquet hotel... at dinner in their amazing restaurant, with an equally amazing view, this couple each had there own ipads on the table and looked at them all night over dinner... and hardly said a word.......  We thought is was sad,,, they weren't enjoying the moment..... and yes they did the same at breakfast...

Each to his own......  life it what we do with it.... Don 

Fortunately the tide seems to be turning - I was delighted to learn that my four children, with their spouses, are fighting back.  When they, or their children, have guests over ALL such devices are left on a table by the door;  the idea being that real time (not virtual time) together is why they happen to be there.    

It it may take a while, but hopefully people will start to get over their fear of being alone with their thoughts - and get back to interacting with real people.